Stillman Brown Petite Sirah (2)

Agreed. $2 for Sriracha Lip Balm - awesome! $7 for Sriracha Lip Balm? Um, no thanks…

Also, on the actual wine, just to try to stay on-topic (from an amateur): 2-pack of these just arrived recently, so haven’t had a chance to try yet, but the previous Stillman PS was delicious.

From the woot site about the cart:

1. Real talk: we only ever had that $5 All You Can Ship in a Day promotion going because we didn’t have a shopping cart. So now that we have a shopping cart, we’re getting rid of it. Standard shipping is now $5 per order — just get all your stuff in one order, and it’s basically the same thing.
  2. How does this affect Woot-Offs? Well, you’ll have to stay on your toes. Stuff is going to sell out and sell out quickly, so you’ll want to check out as soon as you can. Yes, that means you’ll pay for shipping more than once if you end up buying more than one item, but the truth is we sell stuff at such stupid low prices in the Woot-Off that you’re still getting a good deal.

Yeah … saw that. Pure comedy.

I haven’t tried this wine, either, but Stillman Brown has a reputation (at least around Woot) for phenomenal wines. I ordered a couple bottles of the 2011 Red Zeppelin from Woot about a year ago, though I haven’t tried that, either. It seemed most people wished they’d held on to them for another couple years, but they couldn’t resist opening all six or so that they had.

Sorry, that’d be 2010. The 2010 Red Zeppelin cab.

I wouldn’t mind a PM with those other wine sites, either.

I’ve already passed on buying 5 things this woot off just because of the shipping. They were good deals until an additional $5 was added onto each one. And we’re not even halfway through the day, so who knows what else I would’ve just picked up since shipping would have been free the way it was.

Ha. You, apparently, have not been paying attention to this woot off. Things are not flying off the shelves. I was waiting for a woot off to see how the new cart feature would work, and well, I agree with the comments. WTF were they thinking with all their side deals and “garage sale” “pick this up cheap” offerings? No one is going to pay $5 shipping for that. Granted they offered all that stuff when they did the all you can buy shipping, but they better get rid of the trinkets if they expect people to pony up separate shipping.

Based on my vague memory of your comments about those caramels, I was under the impression you ordered multiple boxes each time it came up. So the math isn’t quite that bad. Say four boxes - 4x$22 (candy), plus 4x$2.20 (tax), plus $5 shipping. Average of $25.45 per box. Still more expensive than it used to be, but mostly due to the tax, not the shipping.

I would never by 4 boxes, waaaaaaaaaaaaay to many calories, 1 box was a treat, so now I save those calories, :slight_smile:

I would also appreciate a PM to other wine sites. Debating on picking this up though, i’ve loved all of the stillman wines i’ve tried.

But $5 each for shipping if they go to different places. I usually ship them to friends and family all over the country.

Well, I remembered your positive comments, and just assumed you bought more than one box at a time. I bought three in the previous offering, intending to use them for mother’s day gifts.

You should definitely not buy this because older wines are inherently better and imported wines are inherently better… :confused:

Also, I’m not entirely sure what NV stands for, but this is a Paso Robles wine, not Napa Valley.

/s

This wine is great and I’d jump if I didn’t have some in my locker. Also I said something about a SIWMB a few weeks ago…

So the $5 all-day shipping was pretty awesome for you, but come on – can you name ANY mail order business that:

A. Charges for shipping AND
B. Will ship four boxes of anything to four different addresses for $5 total?

Wow. Nice catch. NV stands for Non-vintage. Which, when I saw 2012, I didn’t even assume it could be one. Reading the description, it has 2011 blended with 2012, hence the NV. Perhaps like screw-tops, NV is kind of frowned upon, but hey, if it makes for a better wine, whatever.

In the context of his comment, I’m thinking it means “non-vintage.”

How about no, Scott.

The point is it was available and I used it… Not here any more, so no more treats for friends and family. A discretionary purchase that can be eliminated.

Understood, and agree that I would have used it too had I wanted to ship to multiple addresses. But its elimination doesn’t surprise me a bit, given the circumstances.

If anyone actually said that older or imported wines are inherently better, it wasn’t me. What I said was that this is a non-vintage wine (as most folks were able to understand) flying the banner of a 2012, when it’s actually a 2011/2012 blend.

Might be great, who knows?

But $30 a bottle to ship it from Woot’s distribution doesn’t make sense, when there are lots of actual bargains on trustworthy wines - imported and domestic - at a local store that imports. And you can take it home the same day instead of sending it hopping around in an overheated FedEx truck for a week or so.

This just isn’t an attractive deal to me.

Oh … and I think your smiley face may have had a stroke. Might want to have that checked out.

Oh, wait … that’s supposed to connote wryness.

My bad.

:slight_smile: