1999 Cabernet Sauvignon Grand Reserve Napa Valley 1.5L
1999 Cabernet Sauvignon Coombsville Vineyard Napa Valley 1.5L

Jana Cathedral 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Double Magnum
$169.99 (Normally $376.90) 55% off List Price
2007 Jana Cathedral, Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 3L

Sapphire Hill Russian River 2010 Pinot Noir Magnum
$59.99 (Normally $99.62) 40% off List Price
2010 Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley Magnum 1.5L

I want the Jana double-mag but the wife won’t let me. She says we don’t know enough people to ever have need for a double-mag. I tried to explain to her that between now and the 20+ years this thing can age, I am sure we will find an occasion, but she is boss so I lose this argument. Maybe I can play the “I will donate it for a charity auction” angle?

Scott, any chance we will be seeing the 06 or 07 Cathedral on woot, in standard bottles?

From what I heard, they didn’t make too many of the 07 cathedrals. I may be wrong, but I didn’t see any on their website either.

I don’t think the 07 has been publicly released yet, which is why it is not on the website. There may not be a “ton” of it, but there has to be a decent amount if they bottles 120 mags and 97 double mags.

I was in for one through their Black Friday website, and it cost a bit more. Wish I would have waited a few more days ;).

Yup. It was a $175 there, NOT including shipping or taxes. Almost bit on those offerings as well, but I can’t get anything shipping from him to Ohio for less than $40 in shipping/taxes.

I would be in for two or maybe even three of the Tom Eddys if you still shipped to Virginia.

Too much of a hassle to wootleg from MD or DC.

When are you going to work out that issue?

Actually he sold most of his '07 wine in bulk ( and got a great price because of the quality). What he kept he bottled ONLY into large format bottles. This is the only way you’ll be getting 07 cathedral and it is good stuff. I got a magnum for $125 on tour so this blows that away. A double mag for $160. Wow.

Monica says no 750ml of the 2007 Jana Cathedral…only the mags and double mags…That’s it!

I have not had any of Scott Harvey’s Cabs. I generally have loved most 2007 cabs from Napa but could anyone comment on his style as a winemaker?

I understand he makes BIG Zins that are much loved on Woot but have been unable to order in the past due to shipping issues…

Really, really want to buy this…

I think the feature comment is pretty accurate “Well structured and chewy, with layered notes of violets and hints of mint. A classic, elegant, full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon from the Napa Valley.”

This is definitely a more restrained wine then the big zin (InZinerator) which you are talking about. If I recall correctly, Scott calls this his 10-year wine. Drinking perfectly 10 years from vintage and able to age another 10 years from that point. With this being a double-magnum I wouldn’t touch this bottle for another 10-15 years and it could sit just fine for 30-40 I would guess…man I want this wine. Maybe I can convince my wife I need this for my 50th birthday in 2033?

I caved…Now, how should I store this thing?

Won’t fit in my wine racks and I would hate for the cork to dry out…

I have the perfect spot in my basement… :wink:

My guess is that you guys had this on the tour? I am hoping someone took notes, but being at the end of the day it makes it less likely.

I suppose the fact you bought it then meant it was pretty good. Man… want to buy this…

The '07 was released in May of 2011. It was ONLY bottled into 1.5L and 3L. When I asked why no 750ml, I was told they had so much of the '05 to sell, they thought bottling it this was would be their advantage. Subsequently it has received very good ratings, so they don’t offer it at a discount… (Oops, they sort of do ;))

You can still buy the 1.5L and 3L on their website. The current wine club/cyber Monday pricing is $140 and $280 respectively.

That said, this is a steal and probably the only way I’m going to get my hands on the '07 for this price. I’m thinking I better find a girlfriend and get married in the next 10 years so I have an occasion to drink this. Or, at the age of 38, I can have that Bar Mitzvah I never wanted/had…

When it comes to Jana Cathedral, I am a sucker. I just bought an '03 and now see they are out of it. Kicking myself for only buying one. I better get some more '04 & '05 before that sells out…

Probably the most wasteful wine purchase ever, for me, but I’m in for one. I wonder what something like this might bring at a charity auction. Anyone have any idea? Maybe I should go in for 2… argh…

Hi, just found out we are on woot with the 2007 3 liter Cathedral. I’m answering from Hana on Maui. Last day of vacation before we fly home tomorrow. The 2007 was bottled only in 1.5 liter and 3 liter bottles. Did not have much wine and with the quality high decided to do it all in larger bottles. The 2006 is almost sold out, so do not have enough of it in regular size bottles left to do a woot offereing.
Cheers,
Scott

Now that is dedication! Which is why I keep coming back for more and more…Enjoy your vacation!

I see Dave couldn’t resist, even though he too is on a SIWBM.

Scott, when you get back from HI, could you fill us in on what you think the drinking window is for this double mag? I think my best card to play is the 2033, 50th b-day card, or 25th anniversary in 2036.

I wasn’t going to say anything, didn’t want you to think I was rubbing it in. :wink:

Since I turned 50 this year and also quit smoking the next day (6 months now!) I guess I have a legitimate excuse for buying this but I really need to reinstate the SIWBM ASAP.

I am also interested in seeing how long this can be stored and maybe some advice on how often and for how long one would lay this on it’s side to keep the cork moist if they were going to display it upright the majority of the time.

Thanks Scott and Mahalo!