Stolpman Vineyards Estate Grown Sangiovese - Two Pack
$49.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Red
Product: 2 2006 Stolpman Vineyards Estate Grown Sangiovese
CT link above

Winery Website

Stolpman on Facebook
Stolpman on Yelp

Curious about Sangiovese, but not quite curious enough for this one.

HUGE sangio fan. CT reviews give me pause. Awaiting rats.

[link=http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=759808]" Tastes like a good red wine but nothing at all like Sangiovese. Lots of oak and spice. Way overpriced. Why bother when you can have the real deal from Italia?" [/link]
Ouch.

Upcoming Wine.Woot gatherings (Courtesy of CJ):

So join or create one!

For all those new to “Labrat” and/or “rattery” ……

Cheron98 has kindly put all information about the Labrat program at the beginning of the Labrat Thread (where she kindly and graciously cross-posts all the labrat posts into one convenient place).

She has the rules of “rattery” there. As well as a listing of the labrats and offers from June 2 of last year (2008).

Only the Monday offer will have labrats. Offers later in the week will not.

In essence, once you sign up for the labrat program, you are eligible to receive an additional bottle from the current offer (via FedEx overnight) if:

a) Sign up for the labrat program (See WineDavid’s Signature line).
b) You purchase the new Sunday/Monday offer before the deadline (usually 10 am CT, Monday).

There are no set guidelines other than doing your best to present your opinions about the labrat bottle in a timely manner (since there may be some people on the fence about the current offer, and are waiting for your opinions). You can be as creative (or not) as you want. Read thru some of the previous labrats to get an idea. There are a lot of humorous reports, as well as serious ones.

Some have used the UC Davis Wine Scoring System and others have used the Parker 100 point system. Others have just used “It’s Good!”. There is no right or wrong way to report.

For a quick overview of the majority of wine scoring systems, the DeLong Wine Ratings Review is available as a PDF.

DeLong Wine has been on Wine.Woot before with their Varietal Chart and Tasting Books, and sponsors The Century Club for those who have tasted over 100 different varietals (and we have several Wine.Wooters as members, with others on the verge). Check out Century Club thread in the World of Woot Wine for more info. And they’ve added a “Doppel Member” status for those who have tasted over 200 different varietals. They are supposed to have a new form (Word and Excel) in May to help with the 200.

Forgive me if this seems like a dumb question, but what does the “Soil Type” matter?

Looking at the previous vintage, perhaps Stolpman is looking towards developing the usage of Oak? The 2004 vintage people don’t seem to report any oak on it.

We’ve always enjoyed Stolpman wines and have visited the winery several times. We’re in for one and would be happy to share our thoughts on this wine if we were selected as rats!

It’s called “terroir” and it can greatly affect the wine or it can have no effect at all. Someone far more nerdy than me can elaborate, but different varietals thrive in different soils and some wines are lauded for their soil, champagne for example that has very chalky soil.

Hi everyone, the wine is oak aged for 30 months to integrate the wood with the wine. This method is used in tuscany’s finest wines labeled “riserva”.
The other really cool aspect of the wine is the low vineyard yields. With each vine ripening small amounts of tiny grapes, the end result is intense flavor in the typically medium bodied varietal. It’s tough to get such intensity from Italy, and when you find it - it’s never cheap - especially in brunello!

soil and weather are the 2 most important factors in giving a wine its flavor!

I tasted this wine at their tasting room about 2 months ago. I like Sangiovese from Santa Ynez as it tends to get a cherry liqueur/kirsch aroma while retaining good acidity. Anyway, I remember this wine being enjoyable and well-made, but not having that special something that would push me to buy at $35. There are a ton of Italian Sangios in this price range, and I’d probably look there first as a learning experience, to be honest.

Not knocking the wine. It should have a definite New World delicious factor. Just a tough price point, even at $25.

We’ve been oak aging in 2nd fill French barrels for 30 months for a few vintages. The only reason the oak in the 2006 might be a bit more pronounced is because it’s still young!

My favorite oak analogy is that the wine maker should use oak as make-up, to accentuate the natural beauty already present, never to mask the character like clown makeup.

Thanks for the info and participation. With so much time on the oak am I going to need tweezers to get the splinters out of my tounge after I drink this? Or to phrase it another way are we dealing with what GaryV would classify as an “Oak Monster”?

My personal palate is not towards twigs and bark, let me know what we are to expect with this wine.

Not that this should impact WineDavid’s judgment, but a certain poster may be celebrating a birthday tomorrow with dinner with friends if you’re looking for a labrat :smiley:

In for one plus the woot anniversary coupon

I love Stolpman! Their '06 Sangiovese is fantastic. I am a member of their wine club and this woot beats the club member price per bottle. Highly recommended!

Looks like the aging in 500 L puncheons should mitigate the oak influence a bit as these have a larger volume to surface area ration. Are they also neutral oak?

Is this oak regimen (225 L barriques then 500 L puncheons) commonly used for Brunellos? Or is it something you’ve decided upon based on your stylistic goals and experience?

curious to hear labrat reports

name brand and history are strong, but nearly $30 a bottle for Sangio? yikes

We’ve had some really good Sangio on here for $10-15 …

don’t worry about this wine being an oak monster, it’s all 2nd fill (so yes, not brand new oak, but neutral), all French oak (which is much less obvious than American), and as pointed out by another wooter, puncheons, which are over twice the size of normal barrels are used (less oak surface contact per gallon).
On top of this, I know it’s counterintuitive, but longer oak aging actually softens the effect. I think the most misused oak in this country are chards that are slapped with new oak for a few months - overpowering!