Storage Bed with Drawers - Your Choice!

Floating headboard at Amazon that matches this bed, with built-in nightstands which won’t get in the way of the storage drawers: http://www.amazon.com/Prepac-EHHK-0520-2K-Designer-Headboard-Nightstands/dp/B00DPFNUFY

Have had one of these for about five years. Know that it is VERY flimsy and unstable as delivered. We had warning of this from the Amazon reviews (here’s mine if you’re interested,) and reinforced it at assembly time with a 4" steel corner brace at each corner and each end of the two internal gables; 8 total. We also folded a piece of rubber non-skid shelf liner over the end of each slat so they wouldn’t move, and bolted the whole thing to the bookcase headboard from the old bed. All this took it from quite wobbly to quite solid, and it’s still in decent shape five years later. I strongly doubt it would’ve lasted a year without the added hardware.
The only thing I can add to that review is that you should take the time to glue the bottom of each drawer to its frame. They look solid when assembled, but it turns out the bottoms will push out as easily as with any other flat-pack furniture.

FWIW, we have that Ikea bed. It’s OK except for one thing. IT SQUEAKS EVERY TIME YOU MOVE!! Seriously, I’ve tried everything suggested on the interwebs, but nothing I’ve done can silence the squeak from where the board in the middle attaches to the footboard/headboard areas. If you have guests/kids within earshot, and you aren’t the bold type, forget sexy times.

This is what I did. Had the bed in the deal and after a year it just fell apart. Drawers collapsing, screws fell out on their own, it was just complete garbage.

I would have preferred a bed with drawers, but after extensive research, I found that if you want a good quality platform beds in this style you have to drop at least $500 and possibly into the $1000s. Finally, I decided on this https://amazon.com/Zinus-SmartBase-Foundation-Replacement-Noise-Free/dp/B006MIUM20/ref=sr_1_4?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1468953674&sr=1-4&keywords=platform+bed

It’s minimal, no headboard and no drawers, but room for storage underneath. Very, very easy to put together. I’ve had it two months and it still feels sturdy.

My husband shored ours up as per http://home.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=6816440&pageindex=1#post6816558 and it’s a LOT more secure and sturdy now. Honestly it’s a good deal if you don’t mind spending $10 for extra hardware & have enough confidence in your handyman skills to pull it off.

This maybe a dumb question but…can you use risers with this?

Two dumb questions:

1. do these corner braces that some reviews have mentioned go on the inside?

2. can you still use a box spring, or would that mean you were half way to the ceiling (and too heavy for the frame)?

TIME TO REPEAT MY TIPS FROM LAST TIME THIS CAME UP ON HOW TO MAKE THIS BED STRONGER

If this sounds intimidating, it’s actually pretty easy. Just buy the hardware and things will be pretty intuitive once you’re done slogging through the directions and you return to this.

You will need the following from the hardware store. Just ask someone there if you’re unfamiliar, and they’ll point you right to it:

8 2.5inch/63mm “corner braces”

A box of wood screws that are sized 6x5/8. The corner braces may come with screws, but these will be 3/4in or longer, and will poke through the wood. You’re going to use the 6x5/8 screws with the corner braces.

A box of wood screws that are 1.5 inches long. Just get the narrowest ones they have, whatever gauge that may be. If they don’t have something 1.5 inches, anything in that neighborhood will do.

15 feet of 1/2in wide heavy duty felt tape. (Get six rolls of the stuff and you won’t run out.)

STEP 1: Before you install the slats on which the bed will rest and connect the whole thing together, stick a strip of felt across the top of the two inside support beams. This will help keep the beams from rattling around under your mattress.

STEP 2: Once you have assembled the frame, take the longer wood screws and drill them down through each slat into the support beams, right through the felt. Make it nice and tight.

STEP 4: Cut the felt tape into 3 inch strips and, without removing the wax paper backing, slip them into the slots where the ends of the slats are fitted, using a flathead screwdriver to stuff them in if you have problems. This will tighten the ends so that they don’t rattle around in the metal bracket.

STEP 5: Drill the corner braces using the 6x5/8 screws into each of the four corners. It will be obvious where to put them: you’re just trying to firm up the connection between the side beams and the ends, so that they don’t flex around. I found it helpful to put the top four horizontally (directly above the slats) and bottom four vertically (like an L, inside the opening where the drawer will go). Don’t worry that you will impinge on the drawers – there’s room.

(It’s also helpful to run some felt tape along the bottom of the bed, especially if you have wood floors, so that you can move it around without scratching.)

Congrats, you now have an extremely solid (and subtly classy looking) bed. And you spent $350, not $800.

I believe all this f***** stuff is s*** that is from other retailers selling the last of there inventory. Factory seconds.