Striped Bass Red by Truchard Winery (5)

According to http://www.stripedbasswines.com

This is a Zin. No mention of anything else. And I like the cause. International Society of Bassists. Very cool. I may be picking up one just on that fact. Seems to be a small run too. 170 cases. I think I just made up my mind!

Didn’t intend to carp, err bass TT, just an observation, after perhaps a bit too much 99 Astrale e Terra Arcturus.

Hello, this is Anthony Truchard chiming in from the west coast. Just having my first cup of coffee so please forgive any spelling mistakes. The 2007 Striped Bass Red is a Zinfandel / Cabernet Blend that we made a small quantity of in 2006 and 2007. It is primarily Zinfandel (about 85%) and the remainder is Cabernet Sauvignon. All the fruit used for this wine was estate grown on our property here in Napa-Carneros It was aged in French and American Oak, roughly half and half, with 30% being new.

It is a Zinfandel (85%) / Cabernet (15%) Blend.

It is not a low end wine, it is nade with all estate Napa fruit and "real’ oak aging. No wood chips here. It was created as a fun and light-hearted wine for a distributor that we used to use on the west coast. We stopped using that distributor and only had a few cases left, so we decided to share with our friends on Woot.

Anthony, was there any Mega Red or Mega Purple used in the making of this wine?

Also, what do you think the drinking window is?

The residual sugar on this wine is about 0.8 grams per liter. That is consider dry as yeast can’t bring the sugar much lower than that. The normal human palate doesn’t perceive sugar in less than 2 grams per liter.

Nope, Truchard attempts to make our wines as simple as possible. No additions of Mega Red or Mega Purple, just Zin and Cab.

The drinking window for this wine is Now to about 2016. As it ages the fruit from the zin will fade a bit, but the Cabernet’s tannins will give it more life than your typical zinfandels. It will start to get more of a sage/herbal character as it ages.

Two consecutive days of winery and/or winemaker participation! Thanks for jumping on board. Is the zin jammy ala dry creek valley zins or more old world? Really tempted by this offer

You beat me to it! Lol

Anthony, Welcome. Thanks very much for joining us.

Definitely more old world. I compare it to a Primitivo with more structure because of the Cabernet. It has a black pepper spice and some raspberry fruit. I think it is more like the Zinfandels that were made in the '80s and earlier '90s, before the style change to big and bold. This style is definitely due to the climate, we are one of the cooler places in California that is growing Zin.

Last night I would have bought this for the clever label. This morning, I know what’s inside the bottle! Thanks for all the info. In for at least one.

Sorry to play devil’s advocate here, but these seem like very broad statements to make. Is this just your opinion or do you have concrete examples to back these up?

If these are facts, then I assume you and mill have a similar palate. If so, I’d like to hear more about your palate and what kinds of wine you like and dislike, so that I can decide if a mill first sucker may mean I too would like the wine…

BTW, My comments are not to reflect anything about this particular wine, I’m just trying to understand this logic.

Too hard to pass up. In for 1!

I agree, just too hard to pass up. Sounds nice! In for (1).

In for one! It’ll be nice to try an “old-world” style zin as opposed to the big, fat reds I get in the Sierra Foothills. Fat reds need lovin’ too, I know, I just need some contrast every now and then.

I do not know Mill I just watch what he buys and have decided he must have a VERY nice wine celler indeed. As far as my likes go def. reds, mostly Cabs but like Zin and Merlot too. Washington State wines have a taste I enjoy. Wellington, Scott Harvey, and Ty Caton are auto buys though. You do not have to use Mill as your barometer-he probably does not care in the least that I do. That said the last Truchard wine I got was delicious and I am expecting this to be the same.

Thank you all for purchasing my family’s wine. I know that you will enjoy it. If you are ever in Napa, please stop in and say hello. Cheers, Anthony

And she who hesitates is… thirsty?