Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio

thank you too! (i missed this one on the first perusal)

=)

Well, this one is 67% right up my alley, then 33% sideways into a wall in said alley.

Definitely big on the CF and Bdx blend, but the Zinfandel looks pretty questionable. At 16.5%, that’s some serious heat! My personal sweet spot is the mid 13 to low 14 range usually; anything more and it takes some serious structure and extraction to keep the heat in balance. But more often you get heat + extraction - structure = jammy fruit bomb approaching a desert wine. Not my style.

Their wine club gets a 40% discount, so it looks like this is a solid deal. We get wine club prices with Woot shipping. Tough decision from my end since I’m betting 1 of 3 bottles wouldn’t really be to my taste. If only the 3rd bottle was anything but a big Zin, this would be a no brainer . . . .

Tons of stuff I like that I don’t own. When I say TONS i mean TONS. Hell I dislike some wine I own.
But to this particular winery…

I opened up the tattria (or however you spell it) from the last offering a few months ago, but i stupidly left it in the sun so it wasn’t completely gone.

I think we tried 6-7 of these wines at the winery, I didn’t dislike these wines as much as I disliked the majority of the other Temecula wines. I actually enjoyed their Long Valley Red (even though i’d never pay over $40 for it and it’s listed at $49) and it showed alot of complexity and subtle layers of flavor that I haven’t seen from many Temecula winies. But since that particular wine isn’t offered, it’s a moot point.

Clayfu is right, if characteristically understated. The Long Valley Red is extraordinary.

In general, in my experience Stuart zins cellar beautifully. Shockingly. Outstandingly. I cannot guarantee that will be the case with the zin in this offering, but Marshall clearly has a gift for finding the best wine in the grape most of the time. Coincidently, I just drank a tatria last week and was not disappointed. Because everyone has their favorite terroirs, and mine is Napa, I would not say this is my favorite winery without caveat. But I would say this is an excellent winery in an up and coming region from a talented winemaker who outshines most in his appellation. Compared to Napa, his wines are very well-priced (can you spell recession? I can and this wine helps with that based on its favorable qpr.) and can certainly be called complex, interesting, and worth exploring. My vote, fwiw - two stilettos up.

Edited so the poor cab franc does not feel like the red-headed stepchild of this offering. Just fyi, I brought a friend to a wine club members’ tasting, and she promptly bought two (2) $90 bottles of an older Stuart cab franc. While Stuart wines are just fine right now, it is my experience that they do cellar just so well. I am not partial to cab francs, but as I say, my friend went nutty for 'em. Different vintage. Same winemaker. Your call.

I didn’t know there was Terrior in California.

L****ol. Charlie, don’t you ever get tired of being cynical? :wink: You coming to Vegas and if no, why not?

Mud Run that weekend and incredibly close to finals. Oh and no $$.

Ah, Stuart Cellars. Being a long-time wine fiend (and ex-San Diegian), I’ve visited on a number of occasions. Their Tatria varies dramatically year-to-year; some are just okay, some are stellar - I have no data on '04s. When they are great, they are some of the better wines in S. Cal (vs. very high standard) - fascinating complexity. C Franc is always decent, and Zin is fine, too. You probably will be quite pleased with these wines, esp. given the blonk WWoot often offers up…btw, Stuart’s port is also superb.

Z

I want the Zin sooo badly…if anyone in NYC or DC doesn’t want theirs, I’ll buy it!

uh, anyone else concerned about the line here?

line? you must be confused if you think such a thing exists around here :wink:

When I bought the last Stuart offering last year, they shipped to Kentucky. I was shocked, but they did. Why not now? Do I need to write my legislators again? I can’t wootleg to my dad in Illinois every week. The last time I did, with the Tøøthstejnn, Dad said, “Six bottles? You guys need to slow down!” Oh well, I hope I have until Wednesday to think it over.

FWIW, I thoroughly enjoyed all three offerings from Stuart Cellars last time, although the Sangiovese was the shining star, IMO.

The Tatria is one of my favorite wines…

Looks good; in for one. Hopefully this time I’ll get a labrat pick this time! Woot!

My first Woot! I am so proud!

Thank you (or not depending on your current financial point of view) Nallie, clayfu, & jwhite for pushing me over the edge. I initially thought I would wait for the rats, but you convinced me … this looks like a smokin’ deal on some good juice.

In for 2

WD, I’d point out that Mom is in town again in hopes of weedling rat status… but the reason she’s in town is that I’m flying out today and I need someone to prevent the teenager from having a party with all the other juice I’ve purchased.

16.5 alc for the Zin…throw me the heater!! cmon…16.5… i dont know about that…im a 13-14% guy…anything after that and my taste buds are fried…will wait for rattage and if they don’t report on this Zin, im not budging off my fence…good day!! :wink:

Welcome…and lock away your credit card now, or your cellar will look like mine in a year’s time. Unless that’d be a good thing for you, then just up your credit limit. :tongue:

Lighting the light for NH…
(fingers crossed it gets here before our Temecula trip in November…)

Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 1m 29.407s

Last wooter to woot: LoonBoarder

Also, if the Zin says 16.5% does that mean it might even be 17? 17.25%?

Geez, I’ve had port less than that.

I am a huge zin fan and a big Meritage fan, FWIW I liked this juice last time. Convince me labrats, and mr. maker!