Summit Lake Winery Howell Mountain Estate Red 2+1 Pack

I believe it really depends on personaly preference. The wine is drinking very well now, lots of fruit, spice, minerality and tannins. Personally, I like a little more age on our wines (I am drinking my stash of 2002 and 2003’s right now)
We did also open a 1992 (first year we produced a Cab) at the wine club pig roast and it was amazing!

Also wooters, please note this is Summit Lake Vineyards & Winery (in CA), not Summit Lake Winery (in Mizzou)

This is not a jammy style Zin. My dad, Bob Brakesman, started producing Zin in the early 70’s and this wine follows in that “classically made” style. Good fruit that is well balanced with spice and tannins.

Ooops~ forgot the second half!
We are located up on Angwin, on Howell Mountain. And yes we do tastings by appointment, so give us a call if you are close and come visit!

Great! In4One (to split). Thanks for being an active Winery on here! (p.s. it sends to drive sales!)

Aha… so, what kind of spice does it give us, and can you characterise the fruit?

And here’s a question I sometimes like to ask of winemakers: what other winemakers’ wines do you like? and whose wines are yours most like? :slight_smile:

I will have to get that info for you in the morning when the boys are available. I’ll see what I can dig up

Sorry to be pesky; but says wine was fined… did you use Gelatin at all (I have a friend that is vegetarian)?

Alright, can’t resist. Everything I have had from Howell Mountain has been really good and interesting, and also more $ than this deal. In for 2 (so I can get 2 of the cab).

Thanks to the winery for showing up right away and answering questions too! There is something to be said for the personal touch.

The Cab has some nice white pepper notes to it and a good mix of red and black fruits, a very elegant style of Cab.

The Zin has more black pepper and the darker fruits, cherry and plum.

I like the second question, but geez that’s tough! I just got back from a wine road trip and was able to taste lots of wines, which is a treat~
There are so many good wines out there, but if I had to pick a couple of winemakers…Randy Dunn, Heidi Barrett, oh and Mike Dunn for Petite Sirah

Thank you~It is really fun to be able to talk to people directly about what we are doing up here!

generally we use egg white as it works better for our wines, are they vegan :slight_smile: If it makes you feel any better allt he eggs came from the ranch too!

Nope just vegetarian, so I guess they are still OK to have it. Thanks for the disclosure. :slight_smile: I was V&E undergrad at Davis so I know all the strange things used in fining!

I’ll be back in the morning…thanks for all the posts night owls!

Heather, I suppose someone has to ask: do you have a son who looks like this?

http://images.free-extras.com/pics/s/stewie_griffin-1144.gif

No problem, that is about as “strange” as we get up here. We like to share as much info as we can with our customers, we know you appreciate it! We only have one real secret ingredient, and that is in our port!

No, that would be my brother, his son looks just like that! Did you see Ben’s picture on the website?

My family and I just returned to Ohio from our visit out to California. One of our main stops was Summit Lake.

Heather and her father Bob are such great people. We spent a wonderful afternoon drinking wine, playing with their two dogs and watching my 9 month old son enjoy the other animals on the land (horses, mini-goats, pigs, chickens, etc).

The zin was absolutely fantastic…Just what I like in a zin, great spices and black pepper on the pallet, which hold up excellent with the fruit. Not just another “berry bomb.”

The cab is an excellent example of Howell Mountain cabernet’s. We have had a few bottles at dinner over at the in-laws house and enjoy it every time. The wine is drinking well right now.

The Hershbergers family

This looks very interesting, but… no GA shipping!
Guess I’ll have to sit this one out. Bummer.

I love Howell Mountain AVA wines so I’m in for 2 packs. Excited to try them, I’m low on Zin too.