Sunbeam 1500-Watt Garment Steamer

The steam is very hot, nursing nasty burns now due to my own stupidity. Although, if you have apprehensions…I would definitely keep it away from your boys.

I got this steamer when it was on woot last time. Really like it. Just used it the other day to get rid of some musty odors from some jackets that had been in the closet a long time.

Never had any problem with the dial. But I do think the way the hose sits in the cradle of the stand is pretty goofy. There’s nothing that really holds it in place so the stiffness of the hose keeps twisting the handle out of the cradle.

Can this be mounted on your Roomba/Neato and steam clean the house?

I bought this same model on woot a few months back, and I love it. My switch works fine. I generally turn it on and off with my toes, since, you know, I’m lazy, and my foot is much closer to where the switch is anyway.

I have this – when my wife and I got one as a gift, I was ready to move it directly to the garage sale pile, but my wife suggested we at least give it a try. I did, and it was a spiritual experience. Will not mimic crisp ironing but drops wrinkles with a pass of the magic steamer wand.

I have an overly stuffed sweater drawer – and the wrinkles disappeared in a min or two - single slow passes across the wrinkled areas. Also great for those of us who want to get that second wear out your shirt before cleaning.

We recently replaced it, as after a few years, it stopped putting out steam. Before the toss however, I thought I would take a peek at its inner workings – and I quickly located a small rubber like reservoir that was packed with water minerals. Washed that out, and bam, good as new.

RECOMMENDATION- only use distilled water with steamers or you will need likewise clean it out eventually (or toss)

I’m good about getting clothes out of the dryer right away, but I hate ironing. What’s the likelihood of this smoothing out wrinkles on khakis or a button-down shirt directly from the dryer? I don’t need a crisp look with creases.

Saves me a good bit of money on dry cleaning and washing my work clothes. I used to wash every week and dry clean once a month, now I wash every month and dry clean every few.

One should use distilled water, due to some places having high mineral content it will build up inside.

I JUST told my husband this morning that I had to get online today and find a new steamer! Ours broke last week, and I’m completely lost (and wrinkly)! I hate ironing. SO excited to get this!!

Happy with this purchase. The only steamer I have owned, so nothing to compare to. But no complaints on the featureset.

Nice to haves:

1. I use for things other than garments (santitizing kitchen counters, etc.), so a conical “concentrated” output nozzle would have been nice.
  2. The stand up bar is a little flimsy. Hasn’t given way yet, but adding some more support would have been good.

I have this exact garment steamer. However…

I have never used it for clothes. I actually bought it with the intention of dual purpose use to remove wallpaper and steam garments.

I can’t comment on it’s effectiveness on garments, however, I removed all the wallpaper in my 2nd bathroom which was the original since 1987. This thing blew me away. With the use of a wallpaper perforater, and the copious amount of steam released from this unit, it was CAKE. Not a piece of cake, no, a WHOLE cake.

Things I noted, for the purpose of removed wallpaper, the hose was too short, but for garments, I’d imagine it was spot on. As for the power button, I didn’t have any issues - it was turned on and off dozens of times during the renovation.

I have one of hese and it leaks water all over the floor every time we use it!

I bought this the last time Woot had it and I LOVE it!! I use it every week on my work clothes. It’s so much easier and faster to steam the wrinkles away than it was to drag the ironing board out… and especially on my blouses that have a lot of pleats in them and ruffles. Ironing those were a nightmare, now it’s a breeze. And once you turn it on it is ready amazingly quick and it really does get the wrinkles out. This morning I hung my slacks over a wooden chair and quickly steamed them since I forgot to do it last night. It takes up practically no room at all to store away until the next time.

Really good.

I started using steamers after working in a ‘higher’ end retail clothing store. They used them there to keep all the clothes looking perfect. You could usually steam an entire shipment of stuff in an hour. I used to iron ALL THE TIME, spending hours doing it on a Sunday night, getting all my shirts ready for the week.

Now, with a steamer, it takes me about 1-2 minutes tops to steam out wrinkles on just about anything.

Steamers work REALLY well on most synthetic fabrics. Cotton and Cotton blends make take a few more passes over to get all the wrinkles out, especially thicker weight fabrics - still WAY faster than ironing.

From my experience, it’s almost always better (and more efficient) to steam from the INSIDE of the garment directing the steam through the fabric outward. For example: Button up all the buttons on a shirt, put the steamer inside the shirt through the bottom, and starting at the top near the collar, slowly drag the steamer out pointing the steam up and through the fabric. You want to keep the steamer head in contact with the fabric, so you’re sort of holding it up with the steamer as you drag the head out. Repeat for remainining wrinkles.

(Steaming from the inside CAN increase the liklihood of steam burns although I’ve never had a problem so long as the steamer head is in contact with the fabric.)

This was happening on mine too (different model than the one offered here.) Turned out that it needed a new o-ring on the screw-in drain plug. (easy find at any hardware store)

Not sure if that is applicable in your scenario, but thought I’d mention it.

Also, 1500 Watts is pretty decent amount of power for a steamer. Should handle just about anything you throw at it.

This steamer has been amazing - I love no longer needing to iron everything.

will this work on furniture? Particularly deodorizing and sanitizing?

I bought this last December from Woot and completely forgot about it until today when I saw it again on home.woot. Saw online that Woot had shipped it. Went to the garage to investigate and sure enough the package was sitting there behind some stuff on a shelf. Someone in the family must have found it at the front door and put it there…Got to break it out today and test!

In for one. Ironing really damages my dress pants, hopefully this will be a faster and more effective solution.