Sunce Winery & Vineyard Mixed Red (4)

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

Thanks for answering.

How about fruit, these are vineyard designates but not estate wines. So assuming this is contract fruit, how active are you in the individual vineyards? Do you get control over things like brix to pick at and canopy management.

How about the use of pesticides?

I have no objection to having my username listed for that purpose, so if it’s less trouble to leave it in, feel free.

Most are long term contracts & I have control over brix and pruning and thinning. But about 5% are spot market -though, I still try to make sure the fruit is at the specs I desire. I am European & do not not like overripe fruit; especially mindful of this from hotter regions like Lodi & will even pick part of the vyd earlier at leaner brix. In regard to pesticides, most vyds we work with are small & spray minimally, if at all.

Thank you for this information. How long have you been the winemaker at Suncé?

Hi again. On the Vintner’s VM I got cut off before I could say: . I love what I do. I am humbled by the process and the many varied palates and personalities that share it with me. I am 62 and my wife and I raise our 3 daughters here on our modest winery property–grateful for all of it. Thank you for having me here today. Oh, the 2012 Alicante offered here, got a Gold at the 2015 SF Chronicle Wine Comp. Left it on the vine as long as possible–it just wouldn’t ripen–but it’s pretty nicely balanced. Surprised me. [url=All Other Red Varietals: 2015 Awards | San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition Official Website

24 years. Since 1991. It’s just Jose Calderon and me; we’ve been working together since 2004. He’s an engineering major from Guadalajara. Naturalized like me.

I fixed your link.

Got home and poured a small amount staright from fridge. Too cold for a red. Let it sit for 30 minutes and the aromas are very nice and notes similar to my morning ones. I think this wine may be better with food (nice acidity) as opossed to a porch pounder (not enough sweet fruit). I will revisit with dinner (Trader Joes pot roast, roasted potato medley with olive oil and garlic, asparagus) in about 45 minutes

Sunce wines was one of my first woots… I have zero space and money… yet… I feel the need to click the big button…

thanks

Drinking a 2003 Wm Harrison (cousin to rpm) Cab Sav.

Splendid!

I would have loved to buy in on this last time. Alas, we’re starting to cook our wine in transit down here in Texas.

Caved. In for one. Couldn’t resist. Want more of that Tempranillo! :tongue:

Likewise, but a bit earlier.

I’ve still got some '04 Sunce Cab from a 2011 woot.
Should have checked in earlier to ask about my remaining bottles.
Sigh.

I had an 04 recently and it still had great fruit. Lots of layers–an intriguing wine. It had another 5 years on it, at least. Sadly, I don’t have any more left, not even one bottle. If you want to trade or sell it back to me–I’d be happy to do that–even just to have 1 more bottle.