Sunjoy 47,000 BTU Avanti Propane Heater

Sunjoy 47,000 BTU Avanti Propane Heater

piezo electric starter or does it need a battery?

I think it’s just a mechanical igniter like on a BBQ grill. Just sparks.

2 Likes

My fellow wooters you will be no doubt tempted by this product due to its price and appareance as was I when I purchased it be warned behind it’s shinny new appareance there lay a sleeping dragon of sadness.

If you only plan to use this one season fear not, it will take you the entire way. If you expect this to last beyond a season you are rolling the dice with you money.

I purchased two of these models, one I kept covered with a patio heater cover and the other I left to mother nature to have her way with it.

An important thing to note here is that it is rust resistant not rust proof and rust it will do. On both my units the mesh around the flame rusted badly as did any part where a metal piece slotted into another. The screws also rusted pretty bad as well to the point they were hard to take out in my feeble attempt to fix them.

The one left to nature barely made it 9 months from first burn to the last one. Outside of the rust the internal jet no longer worked correctly. It would push gas and the flame tube would light but it would never make it to the burner. The internet was full of stories of a regulator in these failing and causing this issue and mine was no different something with the tip sensor becoming stuck.

The one under the cover lasted longer, nearly 14 months but it suffered the same fate as the other one in that it would no longer light due to the tilt sensor.

I should also note that both arrived with the part that covers the tank bent as well.

1 Like

Also minor assembly is laughable, it’s not hard to put it together but say goodbye to your nails when you have to peel off all the blue plastic covering every metal part.

Also when you peel off the blue plastic be sure to go slow the metal pieces that make up the hood are very thin and bend really easy.

I would also recommend a pair of gloves as some edges are sharp

No battery it’s a push until it clicks hard

SOURCE: Me I owned two of them before they rusted and the tilt sensor failed.

Pro:. The spark never failed

1 Like

I have ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT4AKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so do you think that will solve the problem?

The TDS says “Do not use on metal directly exposed to flames.” and “Once dry, High Heat must be further cured to increase durability.”
ITEMS OFF THE VEHICLE
Bake at 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes and allow 30 minutes to cool. Bake at 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes and allow 30 minutes to cool. Bake at 600°F (315°C) for 30 minutes and then allow 30 minutes to cool. Caution: Be sure not to exceed the heat tolerance of the least heat tolerant part.
ITEMS ON THE VEHICLE
Run the vehicle at idle for 10 minutes and then allow 20 minutes to cool. Run vehicle at idle for 20 minutes, then let cool for 20 minutes. Run vehicle at normal operating conditions for 30 minutes, then allow vehicle to cool.

Perhaps a good rust inhibitor rather than an engine paint would be better. Maybe the hot areas can be oiled or something to season them. Unless you have another use for that paint, see if you can cancel the order before it ships.

How much clearence do you need above it