SURVEY: Who has and uses a library card? (Not your kids')

Growing up (let’s say 10+) the public library was within walking distance. (Of course, most everything in my town was within walking distance.) And the middle/high school had a pretty good library, too. Always had a stack of library books around me.

Growing up, I had a library card and used it whenever I could talk my parents into taking me. Both parents were readers, so there were lots of books around, and I read everything. Literally. I spent one summer reading a 28-book animal encyclopedia set.

I had a library card in Wyoming–library was a great resource for DIY books and magazines.

I also used the AF library, since it was cheaper and most of my books were in storage.

Now, I have a kindle. Umm, ok, I have 3 kindles, plus it’s on my laptop and my phone. I still buy ‘real’ books, when it’s something I like, or by a favorite author, but I much prefer my kindle. It’s so much easier to carry along. Fabulous for travel, since I can take one thin kindle and have something to read the whole trip, rather then fussing with multiple books.

I might get a library card here.

I had one for the city in which the other house was located but didn’t use. Don’t have one for the current city.

Three kindles!!! Good grief!

I know, a bit excessive.

But…I got one when they were first introduced. Gen 1. Loved it. Used it all the time. In shipping costs and the lower price of kindle books, it paid for itself in 6 months.

Then the DX came out. Ooo, shiny. Bigger screen, better for reading technical manuals. Got it, use it mostly at work.

The third is a Gen 3, smaller and thinner, better battery, better controls. Massive improvement over Gen 1. My sister has a kindle now too, so we share books, making it an even bigger savings.

When I moved, the ONLY thing the movers complained about were the boxes of books. And that’s after I downsized my collections to tech books, collectibles, and signed editions.

I used my quite a bit for quite a while. I got some late fees (I returned everything, plus I was planning on paying it) but the jerks didn’t even send me a notice… just sent my late fees to a collection agency.

Tacked extra on.

Quite irritating. Probably won’t be going back there… it’s fine though… it’s in a horrible part of town.

I swear most of the people there just use it for the free internet computers. Wouldn’t even notice if there weren’t any books.

Wow, never heard of library fees going to a collection agency!

Yeah, like I said… not the best part of town… they actually have a lot of DVDs, and a DVD/Video Game dispenser machine… I’ve spotted quite a few of the video games from the machine at our local used game stores.

Scum.

The people that sell them, not the games stores… They had no idea. Of course there was a barcode so it had to come from SOMEWHERE. shrug

… they’re used for sumptin’ else?

Had one for LA Public Library, but I don’t think it’s good anymore. I also have one for UCLA and UCSD, but don’t use them since they’re inconvenient for me to get to.

I don’t have one for the City I actually live in, though.

Most of my books I buy anyways, though - I could probably make do without buying them, but the idea that some day down the line I might want to use one for reference or refer back to (actually, this isn’t all that rare - probably happens 4 or 5 times a month) it just keeps me from using a library more.

I use my library card with so much frequency that I have the number memorized: 23133905340446.

My library gets new movies on DVD, and if I’m quick enough, I can get in line and see them within a few weeks after they are released. Also they have tons of books on CD that I listen to as I drive to and from work.

It’s cheaper than Redbox!

I have one, but I rarely use it.
Not for lack of desire, but because of our libraries’ lack of selection.
Most of the books I read I buy or borrow from my mom who buys a lot.

Well, it was until I used your card number and I got ~50 books out under your name. Good luck with late fees! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a card & so does my husband.
I use mine all the time. I went on a cleaning binge & sent a bunch of books to either Goodwill or donated back to the library.

I check out books, movies & cds. I don’t need to memorize my card #, the computer does that for me.
My branch doesn’t have a huge selection, but they have a great county wide inter-library loan system. I pick a book & put it on my request list & then it shows up sometime later.

New thing. I didn’t like it. I didn’t think it would be cost effective. New Director is trying it.

That’s why my husband has his card number memorized, he doesn’t always use the same computer to reserve the books/movies/audiobooks. I’d say 90% of the not-for-the-kids books we check out (although some are JFic) are reserved. They just email when it’s in and email a reminder to bring it back.

our liberry system you can use either your card number or a username you picked.

So all I have to do is find a library where the username is No1, and sit around and wait.

tip: try lurking in the children’s section. it makes the parents nervous!

have one and use it