Waaaassaaabiiii!

Sushi Chef 5 piece Sushi Kit
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: TemplarInTraining
Speed to first woot: 1m 28.410s
Last wooter to woot: Nostrom0

Sweet! I love eating sushi tacos!

No pickled ginger or vinegar?

Can someone in Sonoma go and post the ingredients for the Soy Sauce and the Wasabi?

There are real and fake versions of both things…

I am surprised they don’t have the “seasoned rice vinegar”, since it is one of the basics for making sushi. I guess you can make it w/o seasoning the rice, but I’ve never thought about it - we like the slightly flavored rice. Also, I’ve never used “dark” soy sauce - seems it would be too strong for “delicate” sushi.

All the “kits” I’ve seen have the mat, paddle, rice, pickled ginger, nori, wasabe and seasoned vinegar.

$20 is the about the “standard” price for a set (at least on the “Bargain Books” at Borders). or you can get the set w/ the mat, paddle and DVD and find an asian grocer to buy all the supplies…although at first I was TOTALLY overwhelmed at the asian grocer…a whole row of soy sauces (get one from Japan, not China…low sodium works), so many types of nori (try the brightest green) and rices (we use Kokuho Rose). we can even get the smoked eel, seaweed salad, surf clams, and tiny pink roe in the freezer section. I’m sure there’s more good stuff, but I haven’t found it yet…the labels are tough sometimes

Our sushi may not be “authentic”, but its fun to make and a lot less expensive than going out. We make it every couple weeks. A rice steamer is a good investment too…I haven’t burnt the rice since I’ve gotten one.

Miso soup is also REAL easy to make w/ the supplies from the asian grocer. Miso (in the refrigerated section), Wakame (sea weed), fish stock powder, tofu, green onions…and we add some thinly sliced mushrooms. Or you can buy “instant” miso soup in 10 varieties.

Seriously had to take another drink of coffee and focus TOO early to convince myself it wasn’t Friday. I was SO thrilled for a second there. Now I’m crushed… Off to make the donuts… with ‘not fair’ feelings…

Sushi Chef is the brand of wasabi I’ve got at home, and I can absolutely confirm it’s the fake stuff. But still tasty.

After taking a make-your-own-sushi class I’ve started doing homemade about once a month. It’s not as hard as it looks to make the kind of sushi that you and your friends will enjoy. The trick to tasting like restaurant sushi is the quality of ingredients more than the skill of the preparer. And with anything making it at home is going to be a lot cheaper than making it at the store.

Typically I get a little salmon, a little tuna, some fake crab meat, cucumber and avocado. Toast some sesame seeds and some panko bread crumbs (they add a nice crunch) and have some srirachi sauce to make a few of the rolls spicy. Then just roll and drink and have fun. Don’t worry about recipes, combine ingredients you think will taste good together and they will. Personally I like something crunchy in each roll (either the cucumber or the toasted panko).

Each roll will take some time, but if you have everyone sitting around a table, and perhaps suggesting their own rolls, it becomes a great social experience.

This kit is pretty amusing. All this stuff can be bought from an asian food store. In fact I have everything in my pantry for different dishes. Perhaps it is nice if one doesn’t know what they are doing.

Champagne is a champ with sushi.

Pun totally intended :slight_smile:

What we have here are the building blocks of shushi: shushi meat, peaches, and guacamole.

For your health.

If you want to get the 100% real stuff, check out Penzeys Spices- they sell a 0.7oz container for $15.

I’ve been wanting to make my own sushi for a while, so I’m contemplating jumping on this. But after reading the comments I’m not sure if I want to buy this kit.Would it not be cheaper to buy these items separately?

For example, I just did some hunting on amazon and found a mat and paddle for just under $4.

I also found this sushi kit also from Sushi Chef which includes rice vinegar, sushi vinegar, pickled ginger and a few more things for only $10 more than this kit.

Linkazon

Would this $30 kit be a better deal then?

A couple hints to make this easier to use:

Keep your hands moist when handling the rice, it will keep it from sticking

Cover the sushi rolling mat with plastic wrap - you will thank me later when you try to clean it

Don’t over-stuff when you roll - makes it harder to eat.

Take it easy on the wasabi (real or fake), you can always add more.

Don’t be afraid to try different things. We use baloney sometimes (with pickles!)

Would be nice if it was a plastic rice spoon, those wood spoons are crap, the rice sticks to them more than to the seaweed wrap.

US grown Wasabi

This kit is worthless without a knife.

A real kit would not include ingredients, but rather these items:

Sushi Knife
Rolling Mat
Wasabi Grater

Now if only someone could tell me what grocery store in Tucson, AZ sells trustworthy sashimi grade fish :^/

Also…woot, TODAY would be a great day to sell some of those Shun knives…everyone knows making sushi requires 3 things of quality - rice, fish, and knives…

(Other side comment - what, no vinegar to season the rice?)

while i’m super glad that i will not be tempted by this today… kinda worried that this is considered woot worthy… you can easily assemble this kit around here for much cheaper (yeah, i know, i live in la, an extension of asia)

looking forward to friday!!

Fun Wasabi fact: Traditionally wasabi is grated with sharkskin. (and you thought finding fresh wasabi was hard an expensive)

“which only when broken down thoroughly releases its full flavor potential.”
http://korin.com/Shark-Skin-Grater

Also rice making tip: Use a fan pointed on your rice while cooling and using your paddle to cool your rice.

(I work in a Japanese restaurant)

It’s so hard to grate vegetables.