Swann FreeStyle 1080p Action Cam

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Swann FreeStyle 1080p Action Cam
$139.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

[youtube=m8Vd–kUR8M][/youtube]

Here is a youtube!

Is this like a knockoff of a gopro?

Product Website.

MUST. WATCH. NOW.

(I did, and bought two in the Woot off!)

Ok, so here’s my notes. Granted, I had a GoPro Hero2 and it side-by-side…

1. You aren’t going to touch the number of accessories that come with it for the price.

2. The quality is nearly identical to the Hero2, and better than the original HD Hero. The 2 had better low-light performance, but not by much.

3. GoPro accessories work with it. First thing I did was go buy a Chesty for it.

4. Only negatives - laser sight doesn’t work so hot with it in the cage, and I haven’t seen a back to keep it with the LCD on.

If my bank account is right, I’m in for another one.

I have never used one of these, but I have used the go pro hd hero 2. If this camera has half of the abilities of it, it may be worth it. I love my little “do anything” camera. I’m taking it scuba diving next week! Then on a ropes course. Then hiking for two weeks. Expect short battery life though as cameras like these last onl about 2 hours. It probably doesn’t have as many mounts and support geaR as the go pro either. I bought an extra battery for mine, maybe you can do the same here. If you are looking for a camera that can record your day out at the bike park doing jumps, get it. But if you are looking for better stills quality and a more diverse camera, get the go pro hd hero 2.

Amazon had this on a Lightning Deal for $139 (free shipping) in December. It didn’t get much love.

I did some research a few months later and noted complaints about a “high-pitched squeaking noise” when used as dash cam, FWIW.

i picked up 2 of these last time. put on of them on my jeep, and accidentally sunk my jeep in a river trying to pull out a hummer. I had to come back 2 days later with help to pull it out, and this camera not only still worked after being underwater for 2 days in the casing, but still acted like new. tempted to go in for more

My dad picked on one of these to strap to his motorcycle helmet when riding through mountains. The video quality is great, even when traveling at high speeds. I once made the mistake of using disposable underwater cameras while scuba diving, and lost a lot of good pictures because of it. Lesson learned.

NOTE: Within reason. You’re not exactly going to be mating this up to a GoPro LCD, battery, or housing. However, all my motorsports mounts, the Chesty, etc. worked great.

The remote’s range is a little limited, but not bad. We had it mounted above some bull pens, and whereas I couldn’t activate it from the box seats, I could switch it easily from behind the gates.

With a flat lens cover on the waterproof case, it’s likely to take better pictures under water than the GoPro HD.

(The curved lens on the GoPro means that everything is blurry underwater. You can get aftermarket replacements for it that are flat, but they’re like $50 or so.)

Also, the GoPro’s curved lens cover tends to get scratched every single time you drop it (and is $10 to replace, plus shipping, so it adds up fast). This one, being flat, might be less likely to get scratched.

If I did anything interesting this could be fun… but I don’t think people want video of a dude sitting at his computer playing Diablo 3 or Battlefield.

I wonder if that was power line hum?

Saw below. I have yet to get my 720p test footage off the cam, but manual says it only supports 30fps @ 720/1080 resolutions.

whoa i must be your clone because all i do is sit at my computer playing diablo 3. do you also by any chance have been wearing out your mouse button since you’ve been playing D3?

They must have a LOT of these … they were in the Woot-Off just yesterday: http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=5007550

Add a panning rig, and folks will go nuts.

Just in case you weren’t aware GoPro is coming out with a flat lens case for underwater shots (will sell for around $50).