Swann FreeStyle 1080p Action Cam

Bought one during the last woot off. It came to my house in 2 days flat… fastest woot shipping I’ve ever seen. When I saw it sitting on my door stop I had no clue what it was because I order so much crap off the net.

When I saw it was the camera I shit bricks - so impressed by the shipping.

First impression - the camera is very awesome looking… the only thing I don’t like is it is a little bigger than I expected. I was hoping to hook this onto my paintball marker to record some speedball games for fun since I play every weekend… with that said given the size I don’t think its practical now… but we will see this weekend!

Ah, too bad! Right style camcorder (action, versus the hand held family video style), but I’d rather it was a Contour brand! :frowning:

Well, at least we’d have cookies then.

It’s not as important for everyone, But I freedive and 20m (swann) does not cut the mustard. Gopro2 is waterproof to 60m depth!

The specs on the product page match our specs. I’m gonna say the specs in the manual are a typo.

Is this what I should buy for a 3-week once in a lifetime Fiji vacation? Think snorkeling, surfing, and kayaking white water. But I don’t know if I’ll have a helmet…

the perfect gift for that honeymoon vacation!

I bought one last time around and Im pretty happy with it. In low light the vid is pretty grainy, but in full sun its pretty good. Here is my vid I took with it.

And a time lapse I took with it too

I bought the GoPro HD Hero 2. While more expensive, it is superior in every way.

I think the most impressive stat is the 1 megawatt laser in 1) such a small package, and 2) for so cheap! Never has world domination been so available to the masses. Either that or Woot! won’t be landing rovers on mars anytime soon.

Uh NO. Get the Go Pro HD 2. Once in a lifetime, don’t cheap out on the camera, not like you can go back and re-ride the rapid or the trail or what not.

There is a video on youtube showing all three in still and action. Spend some time on that video comparing so you can make the best informed decision for yourself.

good luck ,and I am certainly jealous of your fiji trip - need a porter?? :slight_smile:

You never know. There’s a TV show about fixing up old hotels. There could be a reality show about you and people would watch it.

Come on Swann, Where are the Neccessories?! Although the FreeStyle will work with GoPro mounts it would be super helpful if you could at least get a spare battery pack!

Does the detachable LCD screen fit on the camera while in the waterproof case? How does this work for scubadiving? Does it need underwater lights?

Not sure what I’ll do with it, but I’m in for one. Maybe start a head-cam cooking show.
It’ll beat walking around with my tablet trying to take video.

My son has one of these, great for watching him ride 153 MPH on his motorcycle and for him to post on youtube.(NOT) I’m surprised it doesn’t fly off his helmet.

It’s an “action cam” of course it’s grainy indoors.
It’s an “action cam” of course it’s disable when charging.

I just used this camera to record a Tough Mudder event I was in. Easy to use, great videos. Check them out here.

My only complaint is that when it’s in the waterproof case, it doesn’t pick up sound very well.

Screen does not fit inside of case. It probably works just fine if you don’t go beyond 20 meters. There’s some pool video on the Swann youtube channel if you want to check it out.

Lighting is up to you and your environment, but I’d probably say yes, you need a dive light.

I just tried it with mine - connected to a computer by USB the controls are disabled. Connected to the charger everything works. So you should be good to go with a power inverter or and USB power adapter.