Sweet Baby Ray's Beef Jerky - 6 Pack

How much power? It’s over 9000!!!

As somebody mentioned upthread, this stuff is no better or no worse than your average store bought jerky (take that however you like.) If you’re looking for stockpile cheap road food and don’t feel like paying $6-7 for this stuff at the local convenience store, this woot is for you. If you’re buying this woot looking for top-shelf jerky, well…ummm…I’m sure it’s better than some other stuff but I wouldn’t couldn’t consider it the best.

Perfect snack while you enjoy the book A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

In for 3 (or 18). I like to keep my cubicle stocked with snacks, and beef jerkey is the perfect breakfast. It’s portioned, low fat, and delicious! Never tried this brand, but I’ve only had 1 or 2 brands I didn’t like in my lifetime. And I’ve had quite a few. I know nothing beats straight from an actual smokehouse, but I’m lazy, bring it to my door, please :slight_smile:

“May contain wheat and soy.”

WHHHYYYYY?

That’s the good stuff, don’t forget about the MSG junk…I’ll definitely pass on this crap!!

Jerky was made for one reason… so big burly men (or women) sitting naked around a roaring fire re hydrating the jerky with strong drink, can share tales of their conquests on Woot!

You are the only person so far to really describe the texture of the jerky. Everyone seems to be assuming we wall want the same thing in a jerky.

Personally I like my jerky to be as tough and chewy as possible. The longer it takes me to chew a piece the better I like it.

I have tried big john’s before and it was tasty but awfully tender compared to the beef jerky from a bin at a gas station.

I am a little put off by your description that there were a few ‘almost juicy pieces’ though. Can anyone else attest to how tough this stuff is compared to other tough jerkies?

OTC jerky? Is there a prescription jerky market that I am unaware of? I need to talk to my doctor, as I have some unspent Flex Spend dollars I’d love to sink into jerky.

OK. I can buy this at my local Walmart for $3.89 per bag. Woot’s price equals $3.83 bag after shipping. (ok- $3.27 per bag if I bought three…) Still, not worth waiting the three weeks it’ll take to get here.

No, but there IS a gourmet market! I’ve had some from Cabela’s and other woodsy-related catalog companies that was incredible! Not worth the premium price on a regular basis though…

There is at least one reason NOT to buy this and it has to do with the ingredients.

For those who have a reaction to monosodium glutamate (MSG) like I do, you don’t want to eat this.

For the rest, you shouldn’t accept the fact that a neurotoxin is added as an ingredient to your food.

Here is an article about neurotoxins in food: A Hundred Health Sapping Neurotoxins are Hidden in Packaged and Restaurant Food - NaturalNews.com

There is no reason MSG needs to be an ingredient in beef jerky and there are brands that do not use it.

Enjoy!

You would so totally love the stuff from a little market in Standish, Michigan. They have the thicker, juicy stuff, but they also have ‘prairie’ and ‘cowboy’ varieties that are thin, dry as hell sheets of meat. They are gristle free too. And let me tell you, you can chew for a week on one bite (may be exaggerating slightly, but not much) and still chew flavor out of it. We always stop and pick up one pound (more if we are visiting and might have to share) on our way north, and it lasts us the whole trip, and up to a week after. It is our favorite to chew on while travelling.

I have so much good jerky available at (semi) local butcher shops, I do not buy the prepackaged junk any more.

There is a reason, it’s delicious. Also, your article is completely sensationalized and doesn’t cite any of it’s “studies”. The only thing it actually links to is: itself, an answers.com search, a page that doesn’t load, and a MSNBC article that explains what natural flavors are. Most people who say they are sensitive to MSG actually aren’t. It’s the old version of the current gluten free craze. Except celiac disease is a real disease, but it’s rare and most people who demand gluten free food don’t have it.

Read Wikipedia, at least it will cite it’s sources: Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia

That link looks less than reputable based on the list of ‘Neurotoxic Chemical Food Additives’ which includes such highlights as ‘broth of any kind’, gelatin, malted anything, milk solids, natural flavor, and yeast extract.

Agreed in full. Too bad people are such sheep.

thx very much for thanks info.

Well said. I met a woman recently who claimed to be allergic to meat, but I only have personal skepticism for that. The MSG issue has actually been studied, and as far as I have seen there is no hard evidence of any reactions to this “neurotoxin.” If I am wrong, I would appreciate evidence.

Also completely agree. I typically hate soft and/or prepackaged jerky. In my opinion, the whole point of jerky is that it’s tough and dry and chewy, otherwise it’s just crappy, salty meat. This looks like the usual convenience store variety, but again, please contradict me if I’m wrong.

Surprised that there is not High Fructose Corn Syrup in these. Maybe I will give them a try.

I’m not sure why this is called sellout or 50% off, it’s the same or more than walmart’s price on it.

Walmart is almost $4/bag ($3.92 I think).

This is $2.99.

When you add the freight it’s higher but chances are you’ll spend $5 in gas to and from a Walmart with gas prices where they are!