Tablet Menagerie

Have been looking for a full Win tablet/PC for a bit. The acer has some good reviews, but the one on woot is more expensive than the one on Amazon that comes with the dock/keyboard:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-W700-6831-11-6-Inch-Tablet/dp/B00B2GXGUM

I bought the Edge during the last tablet sale and love it. That being said, it is nowhere near what you can get if you just bought a laptop. Take a look at the Lenovo YP510 for example.

The Edge is a chunky beast with a niche market. When do you really need a gaming capable machine in tablet form? Games like XCOM are fun on it, but are also available for the standard mobile OS.

Hook up a Razer Naga and you can start playing action rpgs like Marvel Heroes and Path of Exile with ease. Controller based games also feel great with gamepad. Despite the odd look, it is a comfortable feel.

Due to Microsoft’s focus on mobile, Office actually functions decently with the touch interface. It helps that Razer made one of the top edge buttons automatically pop the keyboard. OneNote’s radial menu is especially nice.

Are you guys ever going to get actual surface tablets? That’s what I’m waiting on…

Yeah, I understand you don’t get much performance for your buck. However, I am enamored by the possibility of doing all of my computing with one device, instead of having a separate laptop, tablet, and game console. Is my admiration illogical? Probably.

Get the Note 8 and leave the hate for someone else.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and received the 4.4.2 update last week. I do live in the states so Im guessing these will be shipped Jelly Bean and have an update to KitKat ready soon after power up.

I am seriously considering a Note 10.1 (2014). My Nexus 7 (2012), which I love and use constantly, is starting to fall apart due to being dropped and taken apart a few times. Can anyone think of a reason not to get it? I plan to use it for reading comics, books, general web browsing, watching videos, and drawing. $294.99 seems like a really good price.

I do. And it feels GOOOOOODDDDDD…

The only battery issue I’m familiar with Gen1 vs Gen2, is that the Gen1 Nexus 7 has a funky battery connector that is known to become dislodged in some cases. Easy fix, too.

There was a KitKat issue that contributed to faster than normal battery draw in some Gen2 configurations, but 4.4.3 was supposed to address that. I dunno, never had anything but GREAT battery performance on my Gen2.

With regard to Woot refurbs, I will say that a Gen2 Nexus 7 refurb arrived to me bricked. Wouldn’t…do…anything. No problems whatsoever with woot honoring the return, and I actually got a better “open box” deal at Newegg.

They don’t mention WIFI vs Data on any of them. Does it matter? (It will only be using WIFI).

I purchased one in June and haven’t had any problems with it. Very happy with it.

Well, I went ahead and got the Note 10.1 (2014). It’s already shipped. I’ll let everyone know how it goes once I get it. (3-8 business days, it shipped yesterday. I’m hoping to get in the three days, but we’ll see. The tracking number isn’t working yet.)

I did a quick look-through, I believe these are all wi-fi only.

got a message from woot today (which i initially thought was a phishing email) saying the tablet i ordered during this sale can’t be shipped via USPS and i have to provide a physical address or they’ll cancel the order. Since I provided one, what does this mean?

Talked with a CS peep. For some reason, our system is rejecting that address as not being a physical address. You’ll need to supply an alternate address.

Complete bs from woot

Relieved tablet (galaxy note 8) which took10-11 days). After day three complained IR BLASTER was broken, within that first week realized there were charging issues.

Woods response was I’d had it for 21 days.

Check your emails once in while woot and get some flexibility. I didn’t pay $200 to send something back to be reconditioned. It was already supposed to be done.

Shoddy treatment from woot and questionable to sell something http clergy has signs if damage around the charging port.

The bigger woot gets the worse they get. Hear that amazon?

I’m sorry to hear that you encountered issues with shipping and then complications with your purchase.

I’ve gone ahead and forwarded your post and information along to Woot Member Services to help investigate the issue.

We greatly appreciate your continued patience during this matter.