Takara Blacktop 24" Fixie Bike, 2 Colors

Ah well, once again, they don’t offer a step-through model. Yawn

The buyer gives the official weigh in at 32.5 lbs.

Fixed geared bikes and kids are a terrible idea.

But only 2 out of 7 are verified purchases and 1 even says that the comment is word-for-word in the demo-video.

I’ve been having issues with a whole lot of companies inflating their products.

under Spec, last line states 32.5 lbs.

I think the Fixie thing is funny myself.
Idaho is full of these. what is funny to me is they cost MORE, a Good one anyway.

the weirdest thing to me is the idea really. if you just want one gear, why not just only use one gear?

I think I might be the only imaginary Fixie Rider in Idaho. LOL I just imagine, no matter how bad i am dieing to change that gear so it’s not killing me, that I cannot change that gear for there is no gear to change.

cool hu?

16" frame on these, pretty small bikes. why would anyone buy a wal mart bike on woot? if you buy it from wal mart and it breaks you can take the damned thing back!

Amazon must have raised their price to make the Woot deal look better. A reputable seller on Ebay had 10 of these bikes for sale at $148.99 with free shipping but nobody bought any!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takara-Blacktop-24-Green-Yellow-Single-Speed-Road-Bike-/360612816493?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item53f632e66d&nma=true&si=A3jPBLnrklM%252B49Xu3M%252Bs46v2ToI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$15

But they have to inflate this product or it would be very hard to peddle. However, I agree about some of these reviews being planted.

Probably a hipster, looking to train the future generation of hipsters

OK,I admit I don’t have a clue what you are trying to say other than you find this bike humorous in Idaho

From what it sounds like, you’d technically be riding your bike like it’s a single-speed (Single-speed bicycle - Wikipedia), not a fixie (Fixed-gear bicycle - Wikipedia). You’re also carrying the extra weight and complexity of having derailleurs.

Fixies are such that the rotation of the crank is directly tied to the wheel, both forwards and backwards, and no freewheel mechanism (meaning no coasting). This can be especially brutal when going down hill.

While hipsters have definitely taken ownership of fixies to some degree (and more power to them with their beautiful bikes), even non-hipsters can appreciate them. They’re great for training, as the lack of coasting results in different muscles being used, and if you get a true track frame fixie, the lightness and nimbleness is a treat. For those who want to do tricks, the direct drive results in the ability to do some neat things (e.g. ride them backwards). Of course, for those who get into skid stops and the like, the horror stories around knee problems are plenty . . .

The mechanical simplicity of a fixed gear (and a single speed) are also nice. As there’s no derailleurs to worry about, you’re unlikely to lose your chain, and save a pound or two in weight (which on a track bike could be a good 10% or more of the weight). If you go front-brake only, you simplify the bike even more . . .

Not wanting to sound rude but anyone saying “Fixies are a joke” or “the hipsters of bikes” is a bit ignorant/misinformed!

Maybe they do not know about one of the most exciting Summer Olympic sport “Track Cycling”! Held in a velodrome with a FIXED gear bicycle!

The highest professional road cyclist will get on a FIXIE if he has taken a break as a fixie forces one to work muscles you cannot work using a freewheel.

If you put an equally fit roadie and a fixie against one another a hipster fixie rider will almost always win as he just has worked different muscles that a roadie has never hit…

I dont know about the quality of this bicycle but it is always a great idea to find a good old 70s frame that fits you well… bring it to your local bicycle shop… have them turn it into a flip flop fixie freewheel with a front brake. You will get an amazing workout… especially with the fixed gear - even if you are going 5mph you will feel the burn!

The biggest difference between a fixed gear bike and simply keeping the bike in one gear is the ability to coast.

Since the rear cog on a fixed-gear bike is…uh…well…fixed you are never able to coast. If the rear wheel is spinning, so are the pedals.

This can be sought after for different reasons. There is the hipster-ish reason for “hard core” riders but there are also reasons like working on cadence.

I like the idea of fixed-gear bikes mostly for the simplicity of the drive train and weight savings, but I prefer to coast so single speed for me! The coolest thing of a bike with a flip-flop rear hub (like this bike) is that you get to pick your poison. With that in mind and the low cost of this bike, it could be a good option for someone looking to try fixed-gear riding but may not have the ability to make their own or the means to buy a nice one. In that way this bike is a good buy. Beware though, cheap bikes have cheap parts. The bearings will most likely be cheap and start to show it in a short amount of time. The result will be a bike that isn’t fun to ride.

Sorry, but fixies are a joke. I can’t stand the term “fixie”, I can’t stand the neon colors, and I can’t stand the stupid unconventional (and impractical) bars that most have. Please don’t compare this junk to a track bike. They have nothing in common (no, just because they both have a fixed gear doesn’t make them the same thing).

I happen to ride a Bianchi fixed gear bike, and would never allow my kids to ride one in a million years. Especially a 33lb 24"?! With no shifters or gears, and small wheels, 22lb would be on the heavy side! My 700c wheeled fixed gear weighs under 20, and I’m not even a weight weenie.

Maybe you happen to ride a Bianchi Pista as I do?!

It certainly wasnt my first fixed gear bicycle but my Bianchi Silver Second Edition Pista certainly is a beautiful machine!

As others above have said, a fixed gear/freewheel bicycle certainly does have its place in the cycling world - for training as well as for commuting. I dont have kids but I would imagine under supervision a fixie would be fine as they are pretty quick learners *and of course would be wearing safety gear!

Of course a fixie and a track bike isnt the same thing but maybe getting a youth on a fixie will eventually see a track olympian!

The “Woots by State” is a heat map for hipster population.

Fixie Schmixie.

Not a one sold in Oregon? You’d think that this would have gotten some Duck somewhere to buy it…

This was the best post of this thread. Ha! Well done.