Tanaka 30.8cc 2-Cycle Dual-Handle Brush Cutter

For those that may be interested. Tanaka was purchased by Hitachi and this is just a re-branded Hitachi CG31EBS.

Here is the link to the manual:

Hitachi Manual

Mostly Hitachi parts with a Tanaka Pure fire engine. It appears as though, all the Tanaka accessories still attach to the unit. Still a good deal though.

In for one

The following attachments should work with this as well:

TMC-200 Mini Cultivator Attachment

TPH-210 Hedge Trimmer Attachment

TPS-210 Tree Pruner Attachment

Does anyone know if, for the purposes of brush cutting, it needs or will work with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tanaka-Trimmer-Cutting-Conversion-748503/dp/B0015Z1J40

plus

http://www.amazon.com/Carbide-Brushcutter-Trimmer-Blades-2pk/dp/B004OTC704/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_y

I used the stock cutter blade to cut down shrubs/weeds/sapplings upto 1.5 inches. Worked fine for me but I was not trying to cut down a field of saplings.

Answers:

1. The thumb screw that retains the air cleaner cover fell out due to engine vibration, allowing the air cleaner cover and air filter to fall off (unnoticed) somewhere in my field. Cust. Service sent me a new set. Also, the screws that hold the blade guard in place worked themselves loose, allowing the plastic guard to move into the path of the metal blade, thereby destroying it. Cust. Service sent me a new guard and new screws. This was despite having tightened those screws as much as I dared during assembly. Some Loc-Tite will keep them from breaking free on their own in the future. Although, from the many other reviews here, it sounds like I’m the only one that had these problems with the screws, so maybe I’m simply an idiot.

2. Tanaka Customer Service phone number: 800-706-7337

You don’t need the first one. It should come with the kit already (the brush cutting part). The blades should work on this. Just replace the blade you get with the new one.

What kind is it? I have about .2 acres, but it’s a hillside with some significant undergrowth and I’m trying to figure out what would be best tool for it.

Thanks

I picked one of these up last time it wooted. This is a great trimmer and mows down everything. A bit overkill but very happy with it. The trimmer head broke within a couple hours but Tanaka sent a replacement (better quality) free of charge. I’ve got about 2 acres of landscaped land

I’ve been buying inferior trimmers every few years (~$200) or so from box stores and feel pretty confident that will stop now.

I can never understand the pricing on accessories. $233.99 for the cultivator. I can buy one with a motor attached for that price.

Anyone know how this will handle blackberry bushes?

(And all the other oppressive vegetation that can take over a Northwest backyard)

I’m in rural Oregon. Blackberries don’t slow this thing down at all. It can bog a bit on thicker (1.5") woody-type brush, but gets through them.

I am in for one .

Made a search and found that I have 4 Tanaka dealers around me within 20 miles .

Called the one nearest (4.5 miles) and have an almost 15 minutes conversation with the manager (great CS ).He did offered a couple of smaller Tanakas at 27cc and 29cc which suit better with my task (yard works and grass/weed trimmer) ,but both in the range of 250 to 300 dollars .

I mentioned this Woot deal and he checked for me , this model is no longer in display but still can be ordered at the price of $379 with $20 rebate . He also said this is an overkill for what I need, but for the price ,he can’t beat it . Also mentioned about the consumer warranty (7years) and said he will fulfill it if the trimmer needed any services .

I feel more comfortable now to purchase one today knowing that there are some eligible back ups just in case this beast acting up on me . Will have my feedback if this deal is up again in the future .

Now gotta shop around a little more to make my 5 bucks shipping works a little harder . How is that handsome wine leather case with all that wine accessories in the wine section sound like ? Bet my dad will be pleased with it on his day coming up .

Darn it Woot ,I spent WAY too much money here .

Thank you everyone for the great info! Bought this on the last woot. Really like the machine except, like others, the string head broke early on. I’ve super glued it twice, but it keeps breaking. I ordered what I hoped would be a replacement head, but it’s different and haven’t tried it yet.

What struck me was that the model is not only obviously discontinued but I had a heck of a time even finding it mentioned online anywhere. There didn’t seem to be any parts ordering info in the manual, whether parts numbers or where/how to order. Neither did I see any indication re. customer service. It was like I owned an orphan machine!

With the info provided here, I can maybe make this machine work up to its potential.

Haven’t used the blade yet, but I have a fence around my 8 acres that needs some serious cleanup (after the chainsaw is finished!) So its time will come this summer!

BTW, the black shoulder harness getup feels a little B&D, but we shan’t go there now…

Do you mean it feels ‘cheap’ like a Black & Decker product?

Oh, nevermind. I get it. Maybe that could be a new subWoot! They could squeeze it in between Tools! and Sport!

I nearly kicked myself for not buying this last time, so I am really glad to see it again.

I do have a working trimmer, but I really have never liked it since I got it. It’s a Ryobi 4-stroke and while it starts and runs well, I can’t tilt to edge or it starts burning oil. As a trimmer, it’s a solid performer though.

It’s going on craigslist and I should recoup most of the cost of this one.

Just in case, some 4-cycle trimmers have an extra pin and/or hole where you can rotate and set the bottom of the shaft 90-degrees so you can do edging. I have a 4-cycle curve-shaft Lehr (runs on propane) that allows me to do this.

I bought this last time from woot. The thing showed up to my door with a cracked carburetor and I had to take it to a dealer to get fixed before using it. Once I had it fixed, the head broke on the first time I used it. When I had that fixed with a better head, it has worked great! Hopefully nothing else breaks. I’m just glad I didn’t pay full retail + have it break.

This is the second time I missed this deal!>What about the extended woot offerings I been getting e-mails about?>This should have extra (time)offerings attached!

FedEx delivered mine yesterday, I assembled it last night and gave it a trial run today. I’m impressed. The harness is kinda goofy, and does not have the best fit for a larger gentleman like myelf (6’0 250lbs). I think it was designed for someone 5’2" and 120 lbs.

But, the machine is a solid performer and that’s what counts.

OK, I have read some of the comments. I have had the same problem with the plastic line feeder head breaking on the first use. The plastic is very brittle. It still works but for how much longer till it breaks completely? By the forth use the engine is not running right and I am looking for a service center in my area. This may be premature, but I would buy the Stihl if I had it to do over again.