Targus Portable Chill Hub and Notebook Stand

I have 3 of these and they’re good when they work. Unfortunately for me either the fans crap out or the stupid cable just stops working, not shorting out like another user mentioned. I’ve only continued to buy them because there always seem to be deals on them…hmm maybe it’s because they don’t last too long.

I think that says it all for me. I’ll be passing on this one. Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

I use this for my Dell Inspiron E1505. It works great, I haven’t had a problem with it.

I got it mid July, it does a wonderful job of keeping my heat-prone laptop cool.

The cooling bit is detachable from the stand.

dang, that makes me want it again…hmmm…

I’ll check again in the morning… may be interested, looking for something for the lap. But I’m a little troubled by the sad face that it makes. :frowning:

This could make for a poorman’s docking station. For Netbook users needing to write a larger report, just connect the netbook to the stand, and then type away with comfort on the full size keyboard/mouse which are plugged into the Chill Hub. You could also have an external hard drive attached. Now, when you have to take the netbook on the run, just unplug one thing and go. Of course, you’ll still got the small screen, but the rest should work better than trying to type on a small Netbook for hours at a time.

I’m using one now. I am using a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100. They are notorious for cooking themselves to death. I have noticed a huge difference. Before the chill pad, you wouldn’t dare run it on your lap. It stays cool with this chill pad.

It moves quite a lot of air. It is a bit noisy but not horribly so. The Satellite Pro 6100 is a 15" 4:3 screen format laptop and just smaller that the width of the chill pad. I only use it in the flat position, not tilted.

I just checked. Mine doesn’t have the USB hub built in but looks identical otherwise. If you have a laptop that runs hot, this is a good laptop cooler.

Do the fans on this blow the air upwards? It’s hard to tell by the pictures, and I didn’t see anything about it in the details.

I’ve seen some laptop cooling pads that blow the air down, which doesn’t make much sense as usually a laptop’s air intake is on the bottom.

yeah i noticed that immediately. is that deliberate…?

I own a similar Targus cooler that says it works up to 17"(like this one), but it’s really designed for a 15 or 14. The cooling is too close together to work on my laptop(Inspiron 8600) and heavy 3d use results in the videocard overheating. I would not suggest this for a gaming laptop.

Seems to me like that handle would get in the way of the touchpad, no?

yeah, except it’s not… click the photo to see the other one and maybe you’ll understand. it’s definitely right-side-up.

edit:
never mind, i see what you’re talking about. are you sure it is though? i feel like if we were looking at the bottom, you wouldn’t see the fans. at least, that’s how my targus cooler works. the fans are only visible from one side, and they exhaust the heat to a slot on one side.

I have one of these and truthfully…it only barely supports a 17" notebook and not a 17" Wide-screen at all…

The issue is past 15" laptops anything is really too big so it all depends on the laptop and fan/vent placement of yours in particular.

I still use it on my work issued 15.4" Laptop I run an external display on anyway…works great.

I had a similar one made by the same company and the USB socket where it got it’s power from the laptop got wobbly then stopped working. It lasted maybe 6 months at best.

Woot, let’s see one of those really GOOD ones here for a change, and at a good price. For a little bit more, you could probably offer one of those all-metal ones that cost elsewhere for $60 for about $20 less.

I’ve had a few different Targus cooling fans, and with this one, you can see the fans from the top and the bottom. The vents go straight through. Which means that it’s really inconvenient if you want to put it directly on your lap, because you’re blocking the fans with your legs.

Additionally, this model is noisier than the one I’m currently using and like, the PA 248 U, which blows the air out the back of the unit.

Hey, will it work with a Mac? (15" MacBook Pro, that is :^)

My targus chill pad/usb hub works great, and havent had any problems. It was on woot.com with a wireless mouse. I use it almost 24/7. Starting to feel sorry for it :). Thanks woot.

These types of things generally assume you are using a usb mouse (and possibly a keyboard).

U should send it back. It comes with a lifetime warranty

Besides the stand, which would probably be stationary, why would someone pay this much if laptop coolers go for so much less? Also, it doesn’t look to be usb powered so that doesn’t make much sense for laptops unless you set it up on a desk and never move it again…