TCL 55P605 55-inch 4K UHD HDR Roku Smart TV

TCL 55P605 55-inch 4K UHD HDR Roku Smart TV

Was this not the same model that was on the woot off for 299?

Different model. The Woot-Off model was the TCL 55S405.

They claim to offer a 90-day limited warranty from TCL however when you look at the fine print on the warranty it seems to clearly state that anything in a factory reconditioned format is not covered. I don’t comment on these forums at all but I felt the need to disclose this discovery so no one gets screwed.

What your warranty does not cover

• A unit sold in “As-Is”, “Used”, “Factory Reconditioned”, “Factory Re-Certified”, or “Refurbished”, condition or with faults.

[MOD: TCL warranty is correct. See my post below. ]

@ThunderThighs

Want to reconcile the seemingly conflicting things?

(I.e Is there an agreement with TCL which would supersede the official warranty policy?)

I can’t comment on the warranty issues, but this TV was the steal of 2017, wonderfully reviewed for the price in many places including Rtings ([TCL P Series/P607 2017 Review (55P607) - RTINGS.com]. I bought it for $600 and have loved it. For $400 I can’t believe anything can be better if a 55" TV is your thing.

Here is a NEW: Sharp - 50" Class - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Roku TV, for $299.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-50-Class-LED-2160p-Smart-4K-UHD-TV-with-HDR-Roku-TV/192560838640?_trkparms=5373%3A0|5374%3AFeatured

Generally, comparison to other cheap Roku TVs doesn’t match up if you check the reviews of this model and 2018’s successor the 55R617. However, a couple of notes:

1. Being the 605, and not the 607, this is the Best Buy model which is only available with the standard IR remote, not the fancy RF voice-enabled one.
  2. The 2018 model is available online new for 629.99. Last week you could have gotten one on eBay with the 15% off coupon for just under $560.

I think it’s a great buy! I bought this model new and have been very happy with it. When I was researching, I wanted a TV that was 4k, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and WCG. This model was the cheapest that met the criteria. Like I said, I’m still pleased with it. For me, the remote is a non-issue as mine has been MIA for months. We’ve gotten along just fine with the Roku app on our phones.

1 Like

Any way you slice it or spin it. Its a native 60 hz panel . This will imact gaming especially in 4K. TCL says its a 120 CI and like every other manufactures that uses software to clean up the picture. Personally there are samsungs 7100 model out there new for the same price, new and has a much brighter screen.

Sound is awful ( not even OK ) so factor in an additional sound bar.

The overall picture brightness is dim and especially dim from side angles. Dolby vision and HDR are almost meaningless without a brighter screen.

Is the TV awful , no its not, just don’t compare to more expensive TVs from the likes of Samsung, LG or sony

Interesting. If you look at the model # in the Specs tab of the link you provided, it says model # is 55S421, but you’re right, the main description says 55S405. I actually have the 55S405, I bought it brand new from Amazon and it’s a really nice TV.

I just have one thing I’m not sure on this TV. How is the motion blur? Is it bad, is it good? I have heard the P617 is better because it has better blanking between the frames to reduce blur a lot, but more input lag. I hate when the image is moving, even slowly, and everything just becomes a mess.

If I’m not mistaken Best Buy has the 2018 model on sale for about the same price, NOT a refurb.

Does anyone happen to know the width required for the included TV Stand? It looks like the stand (legs) is mounted a few inches inside of the edge of the screen, so I would assume it is less than the mentioned 49". I have a flat entertainment stand I would like to put this on, but just want to make sure it is wide enough. I’m fine if the edges of the screen protrude off, just so long as the legs will fit on it.

I have several TCL Roku TVs (5), including the model on Woot. I’ve been nothing, but impressed with every single one of them. They all still work. The interface is intuitive. The picture is good. Sure the $3,000 Samsung has a nicer picture and better refresh rate, but the TCL is quite the bang for your buck.

OK, so you are saying there are cheaper and newer TVs than this one? they are not at all similar TVs and the P series here is better than the S405.

RE: THE WARRANTY

Our vendor checked with TCL directly. These TVs are definitely refurbished and warrantied by TCL. TCL has recently started refurbishing their TVs themselves. The disclaimer reflects that prior to that, they didn’t warranty products refurbished by other companies.

They assured us that they will be working with their Product Service team to update their warranty standard disclaimer.

Update: We received an updated warranty from TCL. It’s linked in the features. And here.

4 Likes

Best Buy has the 4 series for about the same price. This is the 6 series (2017) model. The 6 series is better than the 4 series. Just because it’s the same brand and 55", doesn’t mean it has the same features. There’s a reason the 6 series is more expensive than the 4 series for the same size panel. Do a bit of research.

1 Like

Have not looked at Woot for while. Thought I would see what’s up today. Last time I watched the show, they called it “Downton Abbey”. I think “Downtown Abbey” is another show entirely (possibly for mature audiences)! And I am not entirely sure what “farekin” means. Oh well… all good things must slowly wind down!

Does anyone happen to know the width required for the included TV Stand?

According to the specs tab:

Stand Separation Distance 38.6"