Tell Me About Your Doctor (Who?)

You may want to make a new thread for the watch along stuff. I’m in for that though.

What other shirts are people talking about this week?

I think everyone knows I’m traveling. Well this trip I packed all woot shirts. I’ve been rotating through my 8 favorite shirts, and for the most part I might get a smile or a smirk, but every single time I wear my Relative Dimensions Tardis Shirt I get comments! Lots of love out there for this shirt, I didn’t bring my Outta Time, it’s getting a bit worn. Orc got one comment for his Dr. Adorableshirt, but only after I got complimented on my Tardis first! (Oh and I was able to make a minifig at the LEGO store that looks almost exactly like Dr Horrible, that right there makes a pretty good trip!)

Never watched the show, however I was reading a lot of SF Fan magazines in the 70s so the first Doctor I was aware of was Tom Baker. Whenever I hear someone mention Dr. Who, the two images that pop into my head are Tom Baker with his muffler and a blinged up garbage can pointing a sparkler yelling EX-TERM-I-NATE.

After my weekend adventures I failed in my efforts to watch City of Death. You would have failed too, it was 80ish and lovely outside!

I did however, watch Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, which has one of my favorite exchanges between aliens ever.

Cyber Leader: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?
Dalek Sec: Four.
Cyber Leader: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?
Dalek Sec: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You superior in only one respect.
Cyber Leader: What is that?
Dalek Sec: You are better at dying.

However, I’ve set a goal for myself to have it watched by August 1. :slight_smile: If everyone else wants to watch by then too, we can discuss it then (spoilers and all). :slight_smile:

(KT, Sarah Jane rocks!)

Personally I have no problem with “timey-wimey” references. I’ve dropped it a time or three myself recently.

I met my first Doctor, Tom Baker, back in the early 80’s when it was broadcast by the local PBS station around midnight Saturdays. I love the reboot and it provided me the opportunity to introduce the Doctor to my youngest son. He has ingested the series both past and present with religious fervor!

While you never forget your first Doctor I think I’m a 10th convert as Tennant had a touch of Baker’s madman style but with a darker core. And speaking of madmen – Matt Smith embraces the lunacy with glee!

I’m hard pressed to suggest an ideal “Meet the Doctor” episode, though “The Girl in the Fireplace” (Episode 4 of Series 2) might be high on the list.

Now – back to my son. His 20th birthday is coming up and he’s (heavily) hinted he would like to receive a Dr. Who DVD. What season would you wooters suggest?

Tom Baker and John Pertwee were my first doctors, though I don’t remember which I saw 1st. (really Woot? I can’t use the word f-i-r-s-t?)

When NHPTV used to run Doctor Who, the ending and starting credits were removed so that it ran like a movie rather than a series of episodes. I never allowed myself to have a favorite, since they’re all supposed to be the same person, but they all added something new to the character.

Colin Baker turns a lot of people off, especially when he refused to do the transformation episode. But I grew to appreciate him more once I saw a documentary about his tenure as the Doctor. He chose his jacket, because it was the loudest, most obnoxious jacket in the wardrobe, and decided that it was better to be wearing it than chance being upstaged by it, should another character don the garment in one of his episodes. Each doctor could be an arse from time to time, and Colin Baker made the most of that attribute.

I do wish that Paul McMann (#8) was allowed more than just radio plays. Even if you didn’t like the Fox movie, he certainly looked the part brilliantly.

My wife loves the new Doctor. My only problem with those episodes it that there’s a little too much focus on the companions, Amy Pond in particular.

BBC iPlayer doesn’t work in the US but I’ve found the old episodes on DailyMotion.

There are ways around that… but are all episodes there?

It may well depend on which user you follow. This user has the old series uploaded. As for the new series, I buy those so I can’t speak for their availability.

This post is mostly a personal reminder of my August 1 deadline to watch City of Death. :slight_smile: But everyone’s welcome to chime in.

Suggestions for my next Who episode? I own all the current seasons so I’m leaning towards the classics, and can stream whatever’s streamable. I’m up for suggestions.

It’s my understanding that many of the early episodes were erased so the tape could be reused, and are not available anywhere.

Yeah, that’s a bit tragic. Nowdays of course that wouldn’t happen (although let’s be honest, some shows need to be lost to the ages) but I guess back then they had no idea that people would even be interested - or that the show would endure!

Note sure if it’s streamable, but I’ll suggest the Pirate Planet Serial.

Partly for Douglas Adams writing, Partly in memory of Mary Tamm.

Glad I’m not the only one to think he looks like Moe! LOL
But seriously, start with #2 since it’s easier to follow than “the old man” back in the day of shaky b&w. Pertwee rocks and as for Tom Baker, well, 'nuff said! I love all of them for their own querks!

I’d have to say that David Tennant is my favorite Doctor. Matt Smith is growing on me. I think seeing all the old ones is a good goal. I would like to see the past years in my future.

Same thing happened to me. I was devastated. Mentioned it to a fellow Whovian and she directed me to the movies. I was so grateful to have a chance to say goodbye to him.

There were a couple of Dr Who references during the Olympic opening ceremonies last night. I picked up on two…did anyone else, and if so how many?

One was during Rowan Atkinson’s sketch and the other was during Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody.

In my house we were hoping David TENnant would light the flame, as in the 2006 “Fear Her” episode.

I am an unashamed reboot fan. Came on board with Christopher Eccleston and even though I’ve quit watching on a few occasions, I always manage to get caught up with the episodes. The last two seasons I had set for DVR (Matt Smith) and remember rolling back episode after episode to try to clear the whodunit about the astronaut suit.

The reboot wasn’t my first experience - my dad tried to expose me to it through general references, Sean Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood) took part in an internet dramatization/radio play of one of the story arcs, and I actually borrowed the Videocassette of “The Caves of Andronzini” from the library - but it all kind of flew over my head at the time. It’s not that I didn’t want to like it, it just wasn’t my generation at the time.

Got bored recently, decided to model a little something.

Still need to do bumpmapping and texturing, but I’m rather proud of it :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=inkycatz, post:1, topic:358759]
It’s true what they say, you never forget your first Doctor. :slight_smile:

I know we have a lot of Doctor Who fans around here (I mean, that “no Doctor Who” rule must be in the most recent Derby for a reason), so gather as ye may.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/48828/1112141-tardis_large.jpg

So who was your first Doctor? Tom Baker by a smidgen- his first ep was mine

Which is your favorite?
Love them all for different reasons. The last four, Peter Davison, and Tom Baker for sure.

Where would you recommend a newbie start if they wanted to (asking for a friend on that one)?

Now, I’m a huge Doctor Who nut, I don’t think that’s any great secret.
WELL in 1981, I graduated high school early, and had in my yearbook that I was going to Marry Dr. Who and have a bunch of Wholettes.
Didn’t happen, but happy with mr. right.