Tercero Mixed 2007 Grenache - 3 Pack

Good to see you hanging out here this morning, my friend!

Will buy a set once I wake up more … Larry makes some really great wines. Even my sister & BiL liked them.

We were just in Los Olivos for a wine tasting get away. Larry was, by far, the highlight. I tried all three of these, along with 7 other wines of his. We spent close to an hour and a half with him, drinking out of chemistry beakers and on a folding table. Every single one of these wines was delicious. Very food friendly, very well made, and all unique. Of the three, the Cuvee Christie is probably my favorite, followed by his Mourvèdre.

Small, independent winery run by a super cool, very knowledgeable dude. IMO, this is definity worth buying.

Welcome back! Good to see you so chipper! Me need Coffee! Coffee, coffee, coffee!!

My sister still asks about your “special” Grenache. These were great when we tasted them, looking forward to buying them here!

Thanks for the kind words - you’re gonna have to check the place out now - still have the erlenmeyer flasks, but I actually have a BAR now!!! No more folding tables!!!

[LABRAT]

Tercero Watch Hill 2007 Grenache

The fabled Golden ticket arrived, and I proceeded to dance the happy dance, and crow over my coworkers that I was better than them!

After recovering from my pummeling, I gathered a fellow wine drinker and we tasted. Water crackers to clean the palate, a little blue and goat cheese for pairing.

Opened and did NOT decant.

Initial nose - sour cherries, not much alcohol

Initial taste - sour cherry, with a little something more. Maybe some cocoa? Heat - yes, on the initial pour, the alcohol was very noticable. I was worried when I saw the high percentage.

Finish - not much. Gone almost immediately.

A taste with a little cheese - both the cheeses were mild - but the cheeses completely overwhelmed the wine. Second opinion is that this is a wine to consume with some red meat, or other food, but not something we would drink alone.

Second taste - about 60 minutes open in bottle.

Nose - it has opened up more. Sour cherry, some other berry (black? not sweet like strawberry) and a hint of mushroom or earthyness.

Taste - The heat has died down, and the wine developed more. More tannin structure fairly even across the tongue. More complex berry flavors, with some others rounding it out.

Finish - It is lasting longer, maybe a minute after the swallow and it leaves the mouth clean. A good aftertaste.

Second impression - Now this is a wine that could be drunk alone. It pairs better with the cheeses and some salami that was found. But the tannins are still mild - it could be overwhelmed by strong food.

Final tasting - about 3 hours open in bottle.

Nose - still strong berry flavors, with some cherry, and maybe I am picking up that cocoa that was mentioned before. Could be my imagination.

Taste - I think its currents, that additional flavor. That slightly sweet berry flavor that I couldn’t figure out earlier. Maybe I am imagining that as well.

Finish - nice even, but has shortened some. I think the tannins are good drinking, but it is NOT a tannin monster.

Overall, a nice wine. Not one we think will age for a decade, but good to drink now. Pair with light foods, maybe some red meat prepared simply. Would be overwhelmed with strong flavors of spice or bbq.

Final discussion was QPR, and what we though W.W would price it at. Basically, attempted to compare to some other grenache we have had, and what it had cost us. Looking at today’s price (roughly $22/bottle), it is a little higher than some we have drunk that were just as good. But we will also admit to having spent much more than this for a fancy Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and not had as enjoyable a wine.

Thanks for the kind words - you’re gonna have to check the place out now - still have the erlenmeyer flasks, but I actually have a BAR now!!! No more folding tables!!!

Hi. My name is Mike and I’m a sucker for Grenache! Here’s to hoping this is a good one! :slight_smile:

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mkrauss123
Speed to first woot: 3m 2.490s
Last wooter to woot: vaaccess

Here’s to hoping you enjoy them!!! Cheers!

Fancy! We’ll definitely be back at some point. Hopefully soon.

Because MD law doesn’t allow direct sales of alcohol to residents. You have to order it through a local liquor store (and pay state taxes). Every few years there is a law proposed to fix this, but it never passes.

http://individuals.marylandtaxes.com/publications/taxtips/personal/tip25.asp

-R C
(Also in MD)

I love pulling out the erlenmeyer flasks for decanters! People who didn’t see the initial decant wonder what the heck they walked into, when they show up late!

2000 ml ones are my faves - and the ones I use in my tasting room and at all of the tastings I do. I love how easy they are to use, how efficient they are, and the fact that you can clean them in the dishwasher . . .

Done!

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mkrauss123
Speed to first woot: 3m 2.490s
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark

The law has changed. Each winery can apply for a shipping permit.

Apologies, MD added.

Yee Haw . . . . Now let’s get on board, MD folks . . . including those of you who may live in Monkton (-:

Well I waited long enough. I guess the other rats are still sleeping.
I have 3 reports, although 2 of them didn’t specify which Grenache so we will have to wait for those users to show up to clarify.

[labrat]

Interesting notes, folks . . .

First off, no corked wines here - all wines under screwcap and no TCA issues detected by anyone with these wines. Bottle variation? Always a possibility, but not something I have experienced with any of these three. I cross flow filter all of my wines to ensure no bacterial or microbial growth post bottling, thus removing a lot of the bottle variation consumers experience . . . Could the wines have been ‘cooked’ during shipping? Always a possibility - something that’s difficult for me to control unless I hand deliver every package (-:

As I mentioned in my notes, all three of these wines will benefit from a splash decant and a lot of aeration. Even though they’ve been in bottle for over two years, they are still young as 2007 was a monstrous vintage. This is why I decant all of my reds in my tasting room.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions about these lab rat reports or ANY of the wines - I’m here to do my best to give you my thoughts . . .

Cheers!

I can’t find the updated list of requested/approved permits, but here is some sum up info on the law:

http://www.wineinstitute.org/initiatives/stateshippinglaws/currentevents/05102011/