TEWELL Retrorock Plug-In Bluetooth Speaker

TEWELL Retrorock Plug-In Bluetooth Speaker

What are the measurements of this speaker? Can it be plugged into a usb power converter?

It looks like it’s charges off a 14v 2amp DC adapter. USB uses 120v AC

Will this spkr stay powered on if plugged in?

10.2x5.9x5.9 in.

Reviews and Q&A on the mother ship.

So this looks a good deal for what you get, which is a non-portable (it has no battery and must be wall-powered) knockoff of the excellent Marshall Kilburn with a reasonable fraction of the performance for a small fraction of the price – and even smaller fractions of relative price and performance when compared to the even more excellent Kilburn II. I’m not interested because my UE Boom 2 fills this need for me, but I was interested enough to look.

And while I was looking for the size specs to compare the two (found 'em on a review site), I couldn’t help but notice this piece of shameless marketing bullshit, and it almost put me off the product entirely:

> POWERFUL STEREO SOUND: Powered by two professionally-tuned full-frequency drivers, Retrorock delivers stereo sound with exceptional clarity and zero distortion regardless of room size.

Wow. I can’t resist the urge to break down how counterproductively off-putting this is.

“Powered by two professionally-tuned full-frequency drivers.”

• There is no such thing as “tuning” a driver. The closest thing would be the selection of the driver to be used in the product.

• Regardless, it is good to know that those persons performing the non-existent task of “tuning” are being paid some wage for it, and are not fulfilling some court-ordered term of indentured servitude.

“Retrorock delivers stereo sound with exceptional clarity and zero distortion regardless of room size.”

• Stereo sound? There are two separate drivers, so it is possible that each receives a distinct stereo channel. Of course, that would require two amps, which would obviously cost twice as much money. So it seems exceedingly unlikely, but it is theoretically possible.
  • It is par for the course to see meaningless claims like “exceptional clarity” used in place of an actual frequency response measurement, but “zero distortion”? This is not physically possible to achieve using any materials or technologies known on Earth.
  • I certainly hope that the size of the room does not affect whether the Retrorock plays audio in stereo or with how much distortion it does so; that would also be new to physics.

Still and all, it seems like a good deal for a mostly stationary Bluetooth speaker.

2 Likes

This product has no battery, so the only time it will be powered on is when plugged in.

10.2 x 5.9 x 5.9 inches

Confirmed info from vendor

The dimensions is 10.2 x 5.9 x 5.9 inches.

It needs 110-120 voltage and it comes with an adapter which is applicable to the United State

two professionally-tuned full-frequency drivers you can Tunafish but you can’t Tune a driver! You can tune a port though to enhance particular bass frequency response- that makes much more sense. I’m still on the fence on whether or not this is stereo, I’ve seen 2 x 12 watt specs for it, really a 24 watt vs 2 x 12 watt shouldn’t be much difference in cost these are ICs doing the amplification, not that expensive. Overall though this gets some decent reviews from YouTube and Amazon. Assuming you don’t need a mobile bluetooth solution, it seems like a good deal for $30. I might get one for my bathroom, and hook it into my TV that’s controlled by my Fire TV cube- not sure my wife will approve of this. Good job calling out some of the BS marketing lingo though- I see way too much of that anymore for all tech stuff from cheap to expensive.

Let me give you an example. Let me give you an example. Just the other day, you probably remember it well. It was just the other day, you remember that? Just the other day, I swear to God, people, just the other day.

Agreed; that does make more sense, and this is (not surprisingly) a ported enclosure.

Bought this before. Returned in a day. Absolutely garbage. Doesn’t even have stereo sound, it actually muffles one side instead. For reference: Baba O’Riley. Great song, everyone knows it. The beginning, the wonderful beginning, is ruined. The marimba never gives way to that beautiful piano note that would normally come in on the left speaker of a stereo. You literally can’t hear it. Never arrives. This speaker is trash.