Texsport Cool Canyon 5-Person Tent

Or, one person and four large dogs!

I used one of these once…once. Worthless in the rain, the fly leaves much to be desired (way too short to be effective without a “bathtub” type of floor) and god forbid a wind over 10 mph touches it…it shakes more than a mall Santa’s bowels at 5PM…or a politician on election day. Spend a bit more and get a somewhat better product, if you can. The poles were weak, the seams were untaped and the needle work was very porous…Of course, during the family camping trip, this is a great tent to stick the in-laws.

blah blah blah

This will be a good deal for someone who is car camping in good weather.

(It isn’t worth going back and forth over it- this is a solid tent for good weather)

The telling detail with this tent is “ideal for areas with lots of sun.”

Thanks for the warning, Woot!

In other words, don’t use this anywhere with more than a 5% chance of precipitation.

How about a photo of the back of the tent, please? I am trying to figure out what the “rear window” and “rear floor vent” look like.

If you need something to go with your tent, check out the Camping Essentials Plus Sale

$49.99 tonight, $59.99 product website
http://www.texsport.net/cool-canyon-person-square-dome-tent-pi-1332-html-image-0.html

I can’t find any non-ebay place that has it under $70 otherwise. For example, $109.99 at armynavysales
http://www.armynavysales.com/products/texsport-cool-canyon-4-person-square-dome-tent/

Still can’t find more reviews though than what people are already doing here.

good night.

I really need a decent tent at about this price point; smaller footprint even. I can’t risk my money de dwindle on this here, though. Alas!

Really? Heavy? Eight pounds for a five person tent is ultra-light. I don’t know anything about how well the tent works, but it certainly is exceptionally light. Maybe you’re comparing it to a two person tent?

Typically, for a five person tent you split it among multiple people’s packs. One caries the tent body, another the fly, another the poles. That way no one has to carry 8 lbs.

Agreed (although I wouldn’t go as far as ultra-light), for the size and area of this tent, the weight is quite low. I have a Sierra Designs 3-person tent that is significantly smaller than this and it is only about 3lbs lighter (and it’s one of the lightest in its class).

This tent appears to have fiberglass poles from the photos which could be swapped out for aluminum poles to lighten it even further.

For those who want to make a cheap tent like this usable in rain, there are a few things you can do:

• Get some silicon sealant spray, and cover the tent with it (both the fly and the tent). Do this every other year or so.
  • Use seam sealant on all the seams. Also do this every other year or so.
  • Get a little bit of rope and attach it to the poles as ‘guy outs’ and stake them down
  • Upgrade the stakes, because most tents come with crappy stakes
  • Get a water proof tarp to use as a ground cloth to both protect the bottom of the tent and keep the moisture from seeping in. Make sure it doesn’t stick out from under the tent, otherwise rain could get under your tent.

These upgrades shouldn’t cost much and will make this tent usable in rain and some wind. I did this for about 6 or 7 years with a smaller $25 tent and never had a leak (until the tent finally wore out and tore).

Just a quick note… I found a review on another site about this tent. She had an interesting comment about the color:

“My only gripe is that the wasabi color is more of a light aqua then what is shown in the picture and I felt bad for my boyfriend to be in this pastel colored tent with me. Wish the color were a little more gender neutral.”

The product PDF on the Texsport site has this to say about the colors:

“Mint Green/Storm Gray/Silver Fly”

And all the tips qex mentioned are great ideas for all tents. Even some of the pricier, high-end tents don’t come with the seams sealed. It’s a good idea that will help extend the life of any tent and make your trips a lot more fun.

LOL @ people expecting a $50 tent to be full of the latest and greatest features. This is something you’d buy for your son’s first scout trip, not as a basecamp at Mt Rainier

My friend brought one of these Texsport tents on a backpacking trip to the boundary waters. He had used it in the Badlands of South Dakota and insisted it was a decent tent. The first night it rained and we were soaked for the rest of the trip. I found out later he bought it at a gas station off the freeway. He was lucky to come home alive from the trip.

Or you could buy a better quality tent and save yourself the hassle.

blah blah blah on my part

Having hiked/climbed 1,000’s of miles, I’m fairly familiar with breaking down group gear and spreading it accordingly.