Thanksgiving Coffee Company Five - Pack

Generally, to assure freshness, you should only purchase the amount of coffee you can use up in two weeks. However, if you come across a great deal on bulk coffee (like this one) and you don’t plan on using it within two weeks, the freezer can be an acceptable one-time storage option. This means that once you take it out of the freezer don’t put it back in. Frequent temperature changes are not good for coffee. Crazy stuff can happen, like the ice crystals on the coffee melting and becoming absorbed into the beans. The most important thing to consider when freezing coffee is to limit the amount of moisture coming into contact with the coffee. Divide large quantities of beans into weekly portions and place those portions into freezer bags and plastic wrap. Remove the weekly portion when you need it, and store it in an air-tight container in a dry place like your pantry. Do not put it back into the freezer! Never refrigerate coffee.

I actually had a cup of Mirembe Kawomera this morning. It really is my favorite coffee.

excited to try some new stuff. kinda sad there isnt any gorilla. cause thats stuff is A-MAZE-ing

WOOT:
You offer this wonderful coffee but I can’t ever remember you offering a good quality BURR Grinder to have the complete package. You offered a terrific Coffee Brewer a while back but no BURR Grinder…How about IT!!!

Do all five bags ship together, or one at a time spaced out over some weeks?

How’s this stuff compare to Raven’s Brew?

This stuff Kosher? In general coffee does not need to be unless flavored. As far as I can tell, it is not flavored.

These need a burr grinder right?

One bean at a time.

I would recommend checking this previous woot - it has a lot of useful comments, answered questions, and even posts from the company who sells it.

Click Here For Previous Woot!

For those asking about fair trade, their CEO posted a lengthy explanation that is certainly worth a read:

Fair Trade Post from Paul Katzeff, CEO

Good stuff!

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: annieamw
Speed to first woot: 3m 13.830s
Last wooter to woot: hockeyhabit

All at once, I ordered this at one point. Delicious coffee. Only got through about 3 bags before it was past it’s freezer-storing prime.

***** Thread Hi-Jack *****

Final Reminder!

Time is running out! There’s still some space available for last-minute takers for the Woot Cellars Celebration over Memorial Day Weekend!

LMS Wine trail numbers will be finalized with the wineries next week, so if you want to join us for that, please let me know by Monday, May 17. Spots will be CLOSED after that point.

If you’re a last-minute taker for the event itself, please let me know by Sunday, May 23. Spots will be CLOSED after that point.

***** End Hi-jack *****

Excellent advice (from one coffee snob to another)!

Yes,coffee is organic.You give them money,they give you coffee,no coercion,a fair trade.

Don’t forget to go to their website and get some “end the embargo” Cuba coffee featuring Che,Fidel’s favorite executioner.

I know,take it to the politics thread,but I won’t support a company that glorifies murderers.

If you like dark roasted coffees, I would highly recommend this offer. The quality of Thanksgiving coffees is as good as it gets, and they are fastidious about freshness. I had interesting exchanges with the owner on the thread from the last time they had an offer – I’ve been serious about coffee a very long time, he’s been in the business about the same length of time (or a bit more), and he really is exceptionally knowledgeable.

For me, the deal doesn’t work because I’m not much fond of, and SWMBO cannot stand, dark roasted coffee (except in cappuccino, which I don’t drink), but I’d be remiss if I didn’t say what good folks these are and what high quality coffee this is.

I bought the last offering from Woot (last fall?) and I generally only drink 2 cups a week since Green Mountain office coffee is free. The ~6 months of freezer storage in the supplied bags didn’t seem to negatively affect the beans at all, but I’m no snob. Despite the above dire warnings, removing one opened bag at a time for 1-2 minutes to meter out one cup worth of beans and immediately returning it to the freezer also did not ‘spoil’ the beans. It’s not that my freezer is ‘that good’ either - it’s done horrible things to ice cream and ice cubes in its time… Your experiences may vary.

These are all different varieties than the other order, which were all very good. My last experiment was with the Gevalia folks, and I was utterly unimpressed with that stuff.

Any coffee you store in the freezer will damage its quality. The best bet is to store it in an air-tight container at room temperature. If you absolutely have to freeze coffee, try finding some air-tight freezer-safe containers. That is, unless you like your coffee to taste like the contents of your freezer!

Any idea how “fresh” fresh is to them? There is a coffee shop in town that considers three months fresh (!).

i just checked the site all the coffee is kosher hear with k in it and kosher for passover

IIRC, for the last offer, starting 11/27/2008, the coffee was all roasted on 11/23/2008.