The Formula For Success

I think there’s been far more english-related shirts than real math/science shirts. This one leans closer to pop culture than math/science since it relies on a reference to the Big Bang Theory. (And especially since the first letter appears not to be math-related at all, as far as I know. It’s not beta.)

Not everyone enjoys literature that’s ridiculously verbose (e.g. *Dickens - apparently paid by the word in practically every novel), or completely ambiguous (e.g. Bronte - A story written from memory by an ostentatious narrator who listened to a biased caretaker share a story from memory of past events).

*And apparently, Woot also dislikes Charles Dickens, author of A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. It’s just censored.

As for Tolkien, I have to say the movies were better than the books - a rare exception since most novels are far better than their movie counterparts.

Since this is a Math/Sci related I believe that it is the Greek letter for Beta not the German ettsett.

I think the first person to solve the equation should get a free shirt. Good luck math wizards.

A shirt on AA? What?!

The β symbol is Greek letter beta, the second of the Greek alphabet. It is used as a variable in math and physics, usually referring to the beta decay (google it).

As a BBT fan and physics major, I COMPLETELY LOVE this shirt!

As a quantitative clinical psychologist, I find this shirt highly offensive: misappropriation of the regression equation significantly chills my heart (p <.001).

It’s the Greek letter beta, which stands for the standardized regression coefficient, among other things, which would allow you to compare the influence of different variables on a given outcome - for example, to see whether gender, height, or ice cream consumption has a bigger influence on the number of woot.shirts one buys in a given month.

[I don’t understand the pop culture reference *at all*. Someone help out the clueless statistician?]

Hooray it’s on AA blanks! (for Men at least)

This. Community > BBT

It’s a phrase from the TV show The Big Bang Theory that theoretical physicist Dr. Sheldon Cooper says quite often.

A beta is closed at the bottom, and the vertical part extends below the line.

For the creator (and Woot!): LOVE THIS SHIRT. Thanks for the nice alternative to the $25 “official” Bazinga! shirt.

And for the haters: Go crawl back under the rock you came out from. I’ve had to live with the artsy shirts for just as long as you’ve had to live with the pop culture/math shirts…we all get our day in the Woot! sun. Get over it. (And for the record, I’ve seen just as many lit shirts on here as I have math ones. I own two Poe shirts myself. You can’t have everything your way.)

Ah - thank you. I’ve heard it’s a wonderful show.

Huh? It seems to me there are very few pop culture reference shirts on here. I would like to see more. Love this one, btw. Will be buying.

I’m confused, how can you tell that it’s going to be printed on the old AA blanks? I haven’t bought anything since the change occurred, but I’m mighty tempted with this shirt.

Congrats on a clever take! The best ideas are the ones you should’ve thought of but didn’t. :wink:

Click on the size chart. Where it says “Place of Origin” USA=AA, Honduras = Anvil

Exactly!
A beta is represented by Unicode character U+03B2 and looks like this: β
The sharp-S used in German is U+00DF and looks like this: ß

They look similar but are completely unrelated whatsoever. The shirt is clearly depicting the wrong one. :frowning:

The size chart. Mens and womens are made in the USA = AA. Kids in Honduras = Anvil.

I usually watch Community purely because when NBC says they’ll post the episode online the next day, what they really mean is in 24 hours. CBS on the other hand actually posts them at 12AM the next day. My only reason for watching Community over TBBT when it airs.

I wish the shirt used proper symbols… I’d really like one. But I would bug me too much knowing that it wasn’t a real beta.

number of people who would not buy the shirt if it had a proper beta character instead of the character used: 0

number of people who would not buy the shirt because it used the wrong math symbols: at least 1, probably more.