The Grumpy Tree

I think that still counts as giving. It’s just giving faster, fast enough to cause harm. It’s giving at a dangerous efficiency.

I love this. I always felt sorry for that screwed tree. This is a far more just ending for that greedy kid. Trees can last 100s of years but for that jerk! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think this is supposed to be Isaac Newton, but the joke is the tree throws it at his head instead of it just falling on his head.

Nope. Look up “The Giving Tree”.

Oh! Thank you. Looks like another good read I missed.

Yeah kg! Great win. Grats!

Congratulations!

Yes! The tree should have been around long after the selfish human. Huzzah!

I think I like this interpretation. Thanks to everyone who voted in the derby. :slight_smile:

Your interpretation is very clever, too — I bet Silverstein would have loved it.

This grumpy tree may be related to the ones who threw apples at Dorothy and the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz movie…

Great win, KG! Congratulations! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(Here’s a link to that movie scene if anybody is interested. Unfortunately, I still haven’t been able to figure out how to post links on Woot.)

[youtube=Jp3HVHkklRA][/youtube]

*[VMod edit: embeded the video. This can be done by using the {youtube=_____}{/youtube} BBCode.]*

Thanks inatangle! My original design actually had Dorothy and scarecrow running away from the Apple throwing tree, but design-wise I ended up simplifying things.

Way to go KG! Back to backs!!

Congrats kg, another amazing design :slight_smile:

It is funny, but I love this book and would wear a non grumpy version. You all realize that this story is about Your Parents (the tree) giving everything they have for your happiness right? even to cut themselves down for your advancement… in the end the boy sits with the tree and all the (now dead) stump wants is just to sit with the boy.(now old man)

This feels very Douglas Adams. Made me giggle.

This is a wonderful book and I feel bad if the parody trivializes its meaning. The image of the giving tree is iconic and hopefully a parody will make people think on what the actual book was about. (or pick it up and read it).

:slight_smile: