The Juniper Tree

Thanks for the pick, Woot! So glad I could do my part to make sure this creepy tale gets out to the masses.

if you’re not familiar with the tale, the shirt won’t make much sense. the red ribbon is one of the gifts that is given to the bird for singing its’ tale of woe

edit:oops I’m mistaken, it was red shoes not a red ribbon, haven’t heard the story in years, sorry

wiki has a decent summary of the story found here: The Juniper Tree (fairy tale) - Wikipedia

Thanks for posting these :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I always loved “The Juniper Tree”. I wasn’t an emo kid. I just loved macabre stories.

“The Juniper Tree” might be the one fairy tale that is completely, utterly impossible for Disney to adapt. There’s absolutely no wiggle room in the plot for anything resembling G-rated.

Rambling aside, this is the first tree shirt in a while that I can get behind. Well done, littleclyde!

I double dare you to click the link on the woot write up.

This shirt tells the world: “Meh. I’ve seen scarier."

I’m always curious to know in which Derby each Editors’ Choice was originally entered - the same goes for Double-Take Derby winners. Would it be possible to add that information to the descriptions of these shirts, or is there a way I can find it without combing through dozens of past Derbies? I don’t follow the Derbies very closely, but I think knowing the theme the artist had in mind when drawing a design would add to my appreciation of it.

This one was from fairy tale derby

I was so sad when this shirt didn’t make it into the fog. I bugged everyone I knew with a woot account to vote for it in the derby. The Juniper Tree is my favorite horrible fairy tale about cannibalism and being crushed by a millstone; littleclyde has made this into a hauntingly elegant image.

I bought two. And am considering buying a third. This is by far my favorite design that I’ve seen on woot, and I hope it stays around for a long time.

GAH… WHY, after reading that, did I THEN decide to go click on that link? GAHHH. shudders

ETA:

Thanks! Took me a minute to see your post, as I was busy trying to unsee the scary link before I go to bed. :-o

Oh crap! WhywhyWHY did I click on that “scarier” link? Nice effect, freaked me the eff out. ::shudder:: I don’t have to read kanji to get creeped out by that page. Whoof! (And I am also a big Grimm fan-- the stories are far better in the original versions!)

I don’t suggest clicking on the “scarier” link… I should have known better.

I’ve seen that comic web series somewhere else before Woot, but its a rad idea :slight_smile:

glad woot put it up

nice touch with the story
and I’m in for 1 as this will be another good October shirt to the collection!

cheers!

If you figure out a way to “unsee” it, please let me know. My heart did something that I don’t quite know how to explain and I’m pretty sure I lost at least a few hours of my life on that one.

Damn, I’m in a dark room by myself and that link was totally not what I expected. =/

I really like this design! I would like it even more if the red leaves weren’t so subtle.

Wow. That was ugly.

I screamed and slammed my laptop lid shut. Only, some of my fingers were still there. I nearly whizzed in my pants, busted my computer, and mangled my hand in the span of 2 seconds.

Yes. This. Both times with the animation… Nearly crawled up the back of my couch, especially the second time. Glad I’m alone, or I’d feel like a bigger wimp right now.

Yeah! Like a sucker I was all, “What’s with it all being in Japanese?” so I fell for it and scrolled.

If I had been startled any worse, I would have been telling woot that they owed me a new office chair.

For those of you who looked at woot’s “Scarier” link in the “This tells the world” section, I suggest starting with a dose of nyan cat followed up by massive LOLcat therapy.

That scared the bejeezus out of me…holy balls.