The Modems

I remember the first picture I downloaded from the internet. No it was not adult in nature, and yes it took the better part of an afternoon to fully download. One line of pixels at a time. Ah the days prior to the progressive jpeg algorithm that allowed a low res pic to download first, then progressively get higher res just so you could see what it essentially looked like without downloading the whole image (who would ever have enough bandwidth to download an entire image in short time!?)

Congrats on the print Fishy! Knew this one would come out on top.

The good old days.

Bah. You kids and your fancy .jpgs. ASCII art was all that was possible back in my days!

(WP has a MS-DOS app with an ASCII camera.)

YA cool thing with 300 baud is that you could actually record the line to a cassette and play it back to the modem/terminal. Amazing way to keep logs!

Oh I do remember the ASCII only days (at least for us mere mortals at home). BBS & text based RPGs ftw.

ships in 1 -2 days but the estimated time of arrival is the 27th!? I ordered it on the 9th. Are they delivering on foot?

18 DAY SHIPPING!!!

This is the Holiday season. UPS and USPS are busier than usual, so they’re erring on the safe side with delivery estimates.

So far, my shirts here have arrived ahead of schedule.

I am not a big fan of that reason. why is it I can send a package across the US and get it there in less than 5 days? Personal and commercial are different? If they are ahead of schedule the estimated time should not show the long end of the delivery. Estimated arrival should be an estimate based off of packages delivered not an assumption that UPS and Fedex is busy.

I know you have no control over this but I would hope some Woot employees could maybe upgrade the estimate tool since they kinda have a good parent company that knows what they are doing in terms of shipping.

Yes. The standard shipping with shirt.woot shirts these days is via UPS’ SurePost, which processed with lower priority than regular UPS packages. This is still faster than FedEx’s SmartPost, which is handled in a completely separate channel from other FedEx shipments.

I am not staff, so if you want something more official, you’ll have to wait for a staffer to chime in. I’ve gotten to know how things work (and don’t work) around here over my years of Wooting, however.

Speaking not as a Woot employee, but as an Amazon customer, I have to say that lately I’ve been pretty disappointed with Amazon’s “2 Day Shipping”

Last night I ordered a handful of items, all with Prime 2-Day and they ALL have different delivery dates!

But yeah, Narfcake is correct (as always) that we MUCH PREFER to err on the side of caution with shipping estimates.

Am I failing at reading comments, or did no one point out that 2400 baud modems didn’t do the kachingkaching noise? We didn’t get that until modem speed went “K” i.e. 28,800bps.

Oh yeah, so 1987!

300 bps w/o a speaker plugged in to my Commodore 64 - had to watch for the blinking single red light or pick up the handset.

yep scrolled all the way to your comment to find this.

feeling old.

edit: this video has a all the modemz