The Wine Diaper Three - Pack

I bought some of these last year before my trip to Russian River Valley. I was able to pack 6 bottles in these “diapers” and all successfully made it across country without any breakage. They might have made it anyways but it was nice knowing I had something other than my clothes to absorb any liquid that did leak out.

I have a large/durable soft side suit case which I have successfully flown w up to 6 bottles, no breakage. My theory is that you ziplock them in 1/2 gal. bags, wrap tightly in padded materials (clothes, bubble wrap etc) and then carefully pad and pack your suit case so 1. No glass or other hard objects are next to each other w/out padding, and 2. Nothing has any room to shift around.

Drawbacks include the likelyhood your bag will be overweight if you pack like this! Also I would wonder if the diapers have the same potential failure as a ziplock aka will they really hold up and not puncture if there is pointy broken glass in them tumbling around?

I used four of these on the way back from France last year and all arrived intact, I’ve never broken a bottle of wine either but the little bit of insurance makes my liquor fueled transatlantic sleep that much easier. Has anyone actually had a bottle break in a wine diaper and can give em a thumbs up/down?

We took a couple of bags through the airport on a flight back from Buffalo. The baggage check-in clerk said they were great and had saved many a persons bags from the bottles breaking inside due to rough handling. She then quickly corrected herself and said that they almost always arrive unbroken. We both laughed about it; then, she said she wished more people used these.

That sold us and we’ve never lost a bottle since while travelling.

Oh, sure, now WD finds these. Though truth be told, a full bottle of wine is stronger than one thinks - they really are not going to crush at all, so its prevention of strike damage that is key.

For me, though, its not fitting the bottles of wine in the suitcase that is the problem, but keeping under-weight with all that wine.

In for two. Going to South Africa this June and will be in big trouble if I come home empty handed!

Same here - I escaped the entire woot-off with two snuggies complete with booklights for a whopping $11 shipped.

They have some soft padding inside, which should probably help against the said puncture.

Here is also a bat vs. diaper video for your entertainment. :slight_smile:

I can’t believe that neither NightGhost nor Cesare posted a video of the Wine Diaper in action.

Here is a 360-degree view of the Wine Diaper as well.

If you only need one, found one here on “the bay” for $8 shipped.

Oh, and in for two. Might come in handy. Cheap insurance to have at-the-ready and they take up no space when not being used.

Would this work for something else than wine? We are going to France at the end of the month and want to bring back some of our caramel sauce to our friends and family…and on the way back we can use it for the champagne we always get!

I dropped a bottle from a 5’ high shelf, that hit a console then hit the floor. I was sure it broke, it didn’t. The bottles are pretty strong.

I bought these last time. They are great, that is IF TSA doesn’t search your luggage. Then they open them to see whats inside and do not reclose them, completely defeating the whole purpose of the seal. (NOT BITTER AT ALL).

If anyone is looking for something a bit more formal to carry/protect wine during travel, I found this deal on a Napa Essentials Neoprene Dual Wine Bottle Carrier with Stainless Steel Corkscrew for $12 shipped.

http://media.dealque.com/img/deal/1/2011_03_04_05_03_02_l.jpg

Plug for competitor (but at the same time Ty Caton!)

www.wtso.com has some Ty up as their current offer. $14.99 a bottle shipped with purchase of 4

HiJack
You and I must have very similar palates (other than my love for the highly extracted, high alcohol, highly tannic cabs?). We need a “friends” mode on wine.woot so we can follow what people are saying about a particular wine (a link to their wine.woot posts) or something similar. I know I can look at all of your posts by clicking your name, but it would be awesome to have a grouping of all my “friends” posts. Monkeys, get on that.
\HiJack

Actually, you’d be surprised what these things fit. I used them as padding around really oddly shaped MAGNUM bottles when transporting out to CA last month, since I didn’t really have a proper shipping box for the bottles that were going out. Took a chance, got the magnums in the diapers, put them in the only box I had. Arrived safe and sound - after sitting in the Chicago airport for 7 hours :slight_smile:

I think there’s something wrong with the math on who bought how many…

I concur. I was there and came here to inform my fellow wine.wooters. Looks like some special Merlot. I think we can do this. I received a double order from wine.woot today, and have at least one more in the mail. Love you guys, but sometimes your competitors come through too…rarely, but sometimes.

http://danielmilton.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/i-love-beer_thumb.jpg

I see no reason why not. Buy away!!