Thermor Home Weather Station

It forecasts for the next 12 hours? I think that’s awesome, especially for people in rural areas without good local coverage, or on mountains where the weather is a lot less uniform throughout an area.

I’ll ask because I’m honestly curious:

Will this work with a Mac?

Does it mention how the equipment set up outside is powered? I looked through the specs and didn’t see anything mentioned, although I could have missed it.

Don’t people in rural areas like that predict the weather by instinct? They can feel the rain coming!

It really depends on how local you want your weather data. Is the weather at, say, your nearest airport good enough? You probably don’t need this and weather channel is good enough. However, if you want your weather data VERY local, as in right outside your house, then this might be interesting.

Mac compatible blah blah blah?

I don’t need no Thermor Home Weather Station or weather man. I don’t need NOBODY!!!

The PC/TV version also comes with PC Weather Analyzer software that “stores, tracks, and analyzes weather conditions”. It also shows monthly/annual rainfall and wind gusts.

Horrible Amazon reviews.

I can’t believe I’m replying to this. There would be so many issues with using this in a moving vehicle. The wind speeds would be all screwed up, the temperature would be messed up because of the wind, and pressure would go all crazy with changes in altitude driving.

If you attach this to the hood or roof of your car, it’s going to throw the wind gauge data way off. =)

I’m betting that mid WINTER the batteries crap out, and you’ll be on the roof changing them.

Tv/PC interface runs through a GUI (graphical user interface) so its like the little monitor that comes with the other one. So you plug the box into your PC or Monitor and it shows on the screen.

Word.

That would be funny if it was solar powered.

The outside part is a central unit to which the wind and rain sensors wire to. That central unit takes batteries (3-AA, I think). However, cold weather causes these batteries to fade pretty quickly, even if they don’t discharge pretty quickly on their own.

Fortunately, the PC model at least can be run in wired mode, where the base station sends power to the central unit, and also receives data over it. I strongly recommend wired mode.

Yeah, but you could look like those badasses with the black vans in Twister!

Looking around I see the BW953 as the computer/tv model. I don’t see a BW990 model. Any Ideas?

What’s the highest wind velocity this thing can take before it flies apart? Can it handle tornado or hurricane winds? Or maybe even just the wind from my neighbor’s cows?

How does the tv/computer one work? Particularly if it’s hooked to a tv. Do you set it for a certain channel or something? Can it be controlled with a remote?

That’s just the ones with arthritis :wink: