ThinkScan Plus S7 Vehicle Diagnostic Tool (2022 Version)

ThinkScan Plus S7 Vehicle Diagnostic Tool (2022 Version)

Says you can choose 5 parameters to reset out of 28. “ each additional reset feature costs $29.95/year.”. Well that stinks. Sounds like a horrible deal. Hard pass on this one.

I don’t know a ton about cars, so curious how many of these features you’d actually want to reset if you’re using this in a personal capacity?

I understand people would likely want to reset oil change warning if they were doing that on their own.

Otherwise, it will still report on all the info, correct?

Here’s the deal with this scanner: There are 7 base monitoring functions already built-in. They include airbags (SRS), brakes (ABS), engine, transmission, body and IC plus battery voltage testing. These are the essential functions that almost any shadetree mechanic will require for working on a modern automobile.

In addition, you can choose up to five ADDITIONAL specific functions from their list of 28 for free. Your choice of these additional functions will depend entirely on which vehicle you are working on, because not all vehicles will have every one of these extra options. For example, one of these additional selections is for a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), which some models do use instead of a normal style automatic transmission with gears. If you had a car with a CVT then you should select this as one of your free options. Once you make those choices then you can not change them. I do not know if must choose your five free options all at once or can add them one-at-a-time as you find you need them.

Beyond the five additional free options, if you find that you require any others then you will be charged an annual subscription fee for each extra one you use. Frankly, if you are a non-professional mechanic or just a car hobbyist doing the work yourself then the 7 built-in plus 5 free options should be far more than you would ever require.

For this level of diagnostics (12 parameters), $150 is not a bad price. However, I am NOT a fan of the subscription model for a tool like this for the ordinary car owner. These scanners are a great tool, but you have to know what point is far enough before you realize that you should be taking your car to a professional.

3 Likes

The seven included base functions are more than someone with your limited automotive knowledge should ever require - probably much more. If you don’t do a lot of the work yourself, then a basic scanner is great for telling you what could be wrong before you take it in to the mechanic so you have some info up your sleeve before they give you an estimate.

As for the oil reset warning (and many other common warnings) there are plenty of ways to manually reset them without a scanner. A simple Google search is usually all it takes to discover how so that feature on a scanner like this is more of a convenience than a necessity.

As for “reporting on all the info”, this scanner will read seven different functions with the built-in options and then you have a choice of 5 additional free options (from their list of 28) for a total of 12 - which is officially A LOT. If an ordinary car owner needs anything beyond that then you should be spending the money on a professional mechanic rather than this tool!

Again, let me emphasize that scanners like this (first and foremost) provide INFORMATION. What you do with that information is up to you and your comfort level with working on modern cars.

1 Like

I use these and, I swear, if I had a hundred and fifty bucks just to throw around, I’d get this just to see if I could bypass the subscription model. I cannot stand manufacturers who build fully capable product and then sell them restricted, demanding monthly payment to allow you to privilege of accessing full functionality.

I have seen motorcycle airbag vests that only operate the airbag if you maintain your monthly ransom… I mean subscription! Come on, man!

This has become common place and the general public has bought it - literally - hook line and sinker without so much as a peep. At this rate, it ain’t going to be long before pacemakers are going to be subscription based… :roll_eyes:

Thanks. I guess I did misunderstand the functionality.

I didn’t recognize the difference between read and reset.

I just canceled my dealer service appointment when I read this will allow me to program a BCM with new keys and fobs! It’s already paid for itself.:+1:t2:

Thank you …

Thank you - I was typing faster than I was proofreading! I changed my post.

1 Like

did not get what I ordered . they sent me a thinkcheck M70 don’t know if its better dose the same stuff. not verry happy.

1 Like

I’m sorry. Please reach out to Woot! Customer Service. I’ve let our team know as well.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

1 Like

It is far less usable. I received the same and am not happy as I needed it for a repair.

1 Like

That happened to me too. I need to program a BCM and this falls short. Funny the S7 model isn’t mentioned on the manufacturer website… there’s an S6.

Not only did they ship the wrong, cheaper product, it was boxed in a USPS Priority Mail package and shipped UPS… that’s misuse of otherwise free postal shipping supplies and could come back to bite Woot! later.

HELLO ALL

We’re aware that you were shipped a different product. Our buyer is working with our vendor to figure this out. We ask for your patience as this can sometimes take a couple days.

In the meantime, please reach out to Woot! Customer Service.

From a browser, use the Woot! Customer Service form.

In the Woot! App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.