Thomas Alexander Paso Rhone Blend (3)

Thomas Alexander Paso Robles Rhone Blend 3-Pack
$75.99 $̶1̶3̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2010 Le Tigre Rhone Blend, Paso Robles
CT link above

Winery website

I’m pretty sure Kyle has to buy this. Tytyger, you too!

I don’t mind helping to put WD’s kids thru college…but why should I buy this one? :slight_smile:

Based on CT, it appears our Wooter Trifecta may have had this on 7/21/2013. Will a review be forthcoming here on wine.woot?

Ohhhh this! This is good stuff!

Trifecta brought this to impromptu NorCal GT# 19.5 last Sunday…brown bag blind tasting style :slight_smile:

Here’s my notes from the blind tasting:

Color - Very dark purple.

Nose - All spice, blueberries, stewed plums.

Palate - Dark fruit, Plums, tart cherry, fine tannins, puckering dry.

I guessed this was a Syrah before the reveal. This is a very good, BIG wine that would benefit from additional cellaring (several years). I guessed this would be a great QPR at ~ $20/bottle. It’s close. The label may not be all that (sorry winery), but the juice is a seriously good, give it a few more years and it has the potential to be a spectacular wine.

It’s pretty much all there on CT. I really enjoyed this wine. Only will get better with time. Very well made. Not hot or stewed like one would expect from a paso gsm. Buy.

I also had the chance to blind taste this, thanks to trifecta. Here are my notes;

Color:
Ruby red color with some violet near the rim.

Nose:
The nose wasn’t initially very aromatic, but what little was coming through was nice. Plum, black cherry, nutmeg or clove with some nice sweet oak aromas.

Palate:
A decent amount of acidity on the entry with a nice medium bodied palate of plum and cocoa. Peppery finish. A moderate amount of tannin makes me think this is an 06-08 vintage.

$25-$35, GSM from Paso

I did pretty well at guessing the price, varietals and terroir. I’m very surprised by the specs though! pH of 4.05 and 15% alcohol, I didn’t notice ANY excessive heat or flabbiness during the tasting. Then again, 15% is the norm for Paso.

This is a solid wine and for the right price. It disappeared very quickly at the tasting, thoroughly enjoyed by all :slight_smile:

Pretty sure “Le Tigre” has something to do with it.

I was fortunate enough to receive this last week. We let it sit for 5 days just in case.
Opened the bottle and let sit for 1/2 hour then did a small taste and sniff. Earth tones and smell/taste kinda like a Rhone. But it was VERY closed at that. Fine, let it sit another 1/2 hour and then used the Venturi. Opened up some more, now faint hint of dark cherry but mainly earth tones (not oak), with a full mouth feel. 4 hours later again another taste, oh my, this is nice juice. Full mouth feel, slight pepper, cherry with good tannins. Nose was fantastic with mineral/ earth.
Next night, tried it again, milder lost a bit of the flavor, but still full mouth feel.
This is NOT a pop n pour! This like any beauty,needs time, either in the bottle or decant.
Now I can not wait until garagiste weekend and taste tom’s other wines.
My recommendation is buy if your like a Rhone type with earth tones and full mouth feel. If you like sweet,fruit bombs,this is not for you.
I’m in for a set.

Speed to first woot: 9m 29.449s
First sucker:hhellsund
Last wooter to woot:ERMD
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

I believe it is the highest pH I have seen on wine.woot and with the 15.0% alcohol it is hard to imagine it being a good food wine. Also some outstanding Rhones are available at a lower cost. An easy pass for me.

Woosh well that flew over my head

The only number I knew at the time of tasting was 15% abv. I am completed surprised by the pH number. I wrote down medium acid. This is one of the times I think “by the numbers” is misleading. This takes a lot of time to open up and based on the bottle we tried, could go at least five years and improve greatly with age. Also, I think it is actually quite a nice food wine.

Hoping Tom can weigh in on this.

This is winemaker Tom for Thomas Alexander Winery and it looks like there are some questions about pH and wine.
There is some truth, especially with respect to other grape growing areas in Northern California that a higher pH could mean that the grape was left on the vine too long resulting in a loss of acid in the grape as it over matured and therefore a higher pH. It also meant there might be a degree of dessication, or raisining of the grape which meant a concentration of sugars resulting in a higher alcohol. The ultimate wine then could have been a flabby, hot (meaning the ethanol oxidized to an intermediate acetaldehyde)and probably high VA wine.
However, Paso Robles is a unique growing region, mainly it has a warmer growing season and calcareous subsoils. This translates to grapes that naturally mature in terms of sugar very easily, before total physiological ripeness has occurred, and higher pH in the grape respectively.
The resulting wine does have relatively higher alcohol, but not as a result of dessication, and it does have a higher pH.
For me I love the mouthfeel of pH 4 wine. Many winemakers who lack confidence in there skills will adjust the must to 3.6 with Tartaric Acid. A 3.6 must allows for more free SO2 (greater mitigation of spoilage organisms and oxidation)as well as creating a more favorable environment for yeast instead of spoilage bacteria.
Because of the high pH, this wine exhibits a great mouthfeel, as well as the darker blue fruit that is hard to achieve in other wine. The structure is held up with good tannin and, most importantly, the TA (titratable acidity) of 6.75 g/L. This is the perceivable acid and carries the palate through to the end. After all that, it pairs well with food.
Whew!

Oh,
Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words.
The wine is definitely bone dry. 0.17 g/L is a representation of nonfermentable pentoses. A wine is considered dry at 2.0 g/L and the dryness of this wine does translate to the palate.

ERMD,
Thank you too for the great critique.
I am definitely looking forward to showing you my other wines at the Garagiste Festival in the Fall.

x-posted from CT for those that don’t want to have to link.

2010 Thomas Alexander Le Tigre
Opened and decanted for 30 minutes before going back into bottle and over to a friends place. Wine spent another 1.5 hours in the bottle prior to tasting. 71% Syrah and 29% Grenache.

Nose of cherry, baking spice, and a touch of plum. On the palate there is medium acid with quite a bit of tannin grip. Full mouthfeel with notes of cherry, plum leaning towards the sour/tart (not bad sour) side. Finish is medium plus with young tannins and a hint of white pepper. As the wine opens up in the glass the complexity is improving. Starting to pick up secondary red fruits, baking spice. The finish is one of the best notes on this wine. Long and lingering with sweet tannins and just a bit of white pepper. Really enjoyed this wine.

Overall impression is that this wine is very well made. Good structure, good fruit, nice aromatics. It is still very young, but drinkable now with a long decant. I fully expect this wine to improve greatly with another couple years as the really nice tannins resolve to provide an even longer finish.

I presented this bottle blind to a group of friends and all enjoyed it. Most could pick out that this was Syrah or a Rhone blend. Only one thought Paso, while the others guessed Napa/Sonoma.

And I’m going for the Trifecta.
I really appreciate your review on CT,as well as sharing the wine with your friends.
Thanks

No problem. I’ll have to give you a call if I’m headed to Paso soon. Would like to try out your whole lineup. How should we contact you for something like that? Through the website?

I would love to show the whole lineup. Contact me any time. I have email links on my website as well as a contact phone number.
To save some clicks, the email is; tom@thomasalexanderwinery.com