Three Wine Men Merlot (12)

Three Wine Men Merlot Case
$89.99 $̶2̶1̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 57% off List Price
2009 Three Wine Men California Merlot
CT link above

Winery website

Woot! The Photographer pulled a fast one and drank one of the bottles before taking the last photo!

Where in California were these grapes sourced from?

Just a question on shipping…it says that shipping to PA is not allowed, but a week ago I was able to order wine from Wine.com and they were able to utilize UPS where they do an age verification for reciving the package. Can potential shipping to PA be checked again?

Read the specs … apparently it sources from Sebastiani in the Alexander Valley. Since Merlot grapes are grown in abundance in that area, I would assume this is made from the local harvest. I’m familiar with Sebastiani, which makes some excellent wine, so this should serve well as a table wine.

The Specs say nothing of that. The winery info tab says it is made by Don and Sons out of Sonoma (they who make orange crusher and the lucky seven mix from several months back among many other wines)

There is nothing said of Alexander Valley, and with a “California” label it is likely either A) a mix of different areas, or B) all Central CA fruit.

Where the fruit came from can tell us a lot about how this might taste.

Each winery must apply for a license to each state. That costs $$. If a winery is not licensed in that state they can’t ship to you. Shipping states will vary from sale to sale because of this. This link might help.

Hello Wooters I am one of the Three Wine Men. Yes we are not the Sebastianis with Alexander Valley ties… We are Don Sebastiani & Sons based in Sonoma with a winery in Napa. We buy grapes from Napa, Sonoma, and many other appellations within the state.

This wine is a blend of grapes from throughout the California coast. Primarily Paso Robles and also some from Clarksburg (where our Crusher Big Orange calls home). If you are looking for appellation as a guide, you will find this wine has a cooler influence - not necessarily the big, overripe, pruny claret style wines that overpower food.

Merlot is making a great comeback. What we are finding is that the US is not paying $50 for merlot. So those wines and grapes are finding homes in opportunities like 3WM or other more reasonably priced offerings.

We made this wine for two specific unnamed accounts in the South. This is our end-of-vintage runout and we had a small amount of wine that we thought was cool enough for the world of woot…

The 12th bottle probably didn’t fit into their artistic vision.

In that case, I officially vollunteer to not fit bottles into my artistic vision too!

Hi Donny, is this a drink-now wine or will it benifit from being laid down awhile?

Might help with that SIWBM y’all are always talking about.

I agree that Merlot has a bad rap going that is generally not deserved.

You mention that this bends toward a cool climate type merlot and yet it is sourced from clarksburg ( both warm and cool influences agreed though I have seen more hot stuff out of there than cool) and Paso which strikes me often for hot and ripe wines as well (though I got my undergrad at SLO and know that there are many little micro climates around there).

Are you buying from these vineyards year over year and therefore have worked out viticultural plans with them or did you pick earlier? (what Brix?)

The 3.67 pH doesn’t scream one style or another, just down the middle. Did you add acid for balance?

Love the in-depth questions. Merlot by its nature is a bit down-the-middle. To give you some background, these are long-term relationships with these growers, so they know what we are looking for and we generally know what to expect from them. It is not as simple as favoring acid vs. balance… Given the option of the two I would say we favor balance.

With merlots (and cab sauv to an extent) I find that moderate ripeness adds to the depth and complexity of these wines. Our challenge is to make elegant and perfumy wines that have character, wines that are not simply “down the middle”. Anyone can do well-made generic red wines. That doesnt inspire me.

We dont pick early, but we don’t push the envelope on ripeness - as is becoming the norm nowadays!

This wine is in good shape for aging for a year or two but is ideal for drinking now. I had a bottle last week and it was just right!

Sounds like fun–in for one (despite being scheduled for delivery of the Healdsburg case tomorrow.)

I really like this kind of offering: cheap, but clear explanation for the pricing, good winery input, can’t get locally, etc.

Is this a dry or sweet merlot?

Unless otherwise mentioned, you can usually assume that almost all merlot will be made dry <4 g/l of residual sugar.
If fact, I have never seen a sweet or semi-sweet merlot, have you?

EDIT: A google search does turn up some semi-sweet merlots on the bargain end of the price spectrum.

I shudder at the thought of a sweet merlot.

One of my all-time favorite wines is a Merlot from Shafer. Granted, it is priced WAY more than this (and it deserves its hefty pricetag). But, how would you say this Merlot compares, as smooth? sharper? more or less tannin?