Three Wine Men Merlot (12)

Time to take care of the wife, in for one

Not impressed with the mocking of Jesus, Joseph, and Mary.
This is just not cool.
Beneath inappropriate.

Yeah I agree, Woot writers. Bad judgment. You risk offending…brilliant, mature people?

Edit - just want to see if the word oxymorons would be filtered too.

:::PA RUM PUM:::

Get a sense of humor.

A big thumbs down to the sales tax. I can go to my local store to prop up big government.

As for the wine, at this price, even with the government bail out added, it sounds like a good, everyday drinker.

I’m in for one.

Look for a white merlot.

I’m as church-going, God-fearing and happy-with-my-religion as they get. I thought the write-up was hilarious! If you didn’t think it was funny, then I feel bad for ya. Good job, Woot writers!

It sounds good, but it’s a lot of wine for an unknown. Anyone in the Four Corners (Durango/Farmington) want to split a case, PM me.

It’s nice to see Merlot getting some love here. After all, it isn’t Merlot that deserved the bad rap, but the people responsible for making poor Merlot.

I’ve had some delicious, well made Merlot’s. Really enjoy Pride Mountain, Shafer and Hall’s to name a few.

I like that you don’t wait until the fruit is overripe or pick early. While those wines can be great food friendly wines due to their acidity (referring to the picked early fruit), I prefer the balanced wines I can either enjoy with dinner or on it’s own.

These are priced well if the quality is there.

Merlot icewine rocks

Woot still has write-ups? I hadn’t even noticed since the changes. I just go straight to the discussion so my eyes don’t bleed as much.

What a strange coincidence that I happened to open a bottle of this last night over at my moms house!!!

The 2 people who tried, were my mom and dad. Mom doesn’t like heavy tannins (that suck her mouth dry, as she says)and more fruit forward. Dad prefers more tannins and likes earthy and fruit flavors.
Me, I like fruit forward, no earth, leather or tobacco, and tannins.

We opened the bottle and poured a bit without the vinturi.
Color: We were all surprised how pale it was for a merlot.

Smell: Very tight, Dad says he was smelling rubbing alcohol, mom smelled something she couldn’t identify, me… really didn’t pick up on anything.

Taste: Mom did not like…She couldn’t explain why, just it was not for her. Dad said it was extremely light feeling for a Merlot. Me: I thought it was very light and I know this sounds strange, but I tasted apple (granny smith and fuji) and cranberry. strange I know. It was light and refreshing.

2nd taste with wine going thru the vinturi:
We were all surprised how much the vinturi changed the taste.
Mom… wow the wine got really tannic… thinks it needs to decant for a while.

Dad: the tannins were really coming thru. Taste improved with time.

Me: more tannins were coming thru, but as I kept swirling my glass the wine mellowed out. I still was getting apple cranberry.

We all felt the aftertaste had a hint of sweetness and was nice. But it is definitely not a sweet wine…
Mom liked the aftertaste the best.
I took the bottle home and then had a glass (thru the vinturi) with dinner (steak (rare) baked tater and fresh green beans). Wow this is what the wine was meant for. It complimented each dish. The tannins helped cut the richness of the steak. I can’t really explain it, just I wanted more of this wine with the food.

This wine is perfect if you want a light, not very complex wine. It needs to be paired with food.

Final note: we saved half the bottle to see how it is the next day. Will report back later.

One of the best wines I bought on WW was a Medlock Ames Merlot purchased in Aug 2011. I still have a 2001 bottle from that purchase. (it was a five pack 1 each from 2001-2005) would love for WW to bring back the Medlock Ames, Cab’s & Merlots

Thanks for the feedback! Did you ever try the Skrew Kappa Napa or Toolbox Merlots offered here? Trying to gauge a flavore profile/style. Thanks

Pride Mountain is an amazing wine. It is in a different category than our 3WM. But yes stylistically, neither are boring, and neither resort to punch-in-the-face ripeness.

I am glad this story had a (relatively) happy ending. Yes, I cannot agree more or stress more emphatically… DECANT! Open this wine - and just about all wines - as early as possible. Let them breathe! The Vinturi is a great tool. Wines are bottled up for years without any exposure to life’s basic need… Oxygen. Then, boom! All of the sudden… Oxygen. Remember your first time experiencing something great? Like breathing? It changed you. It will change the wine.

Cant say specifically how it compares to that wine. Merlot, by it’s nature, is a “smooth” grape. Easy drinking. If you like more moderate tannins and “smoothness” open the wine up at 4 pm and let it breathe before dinner. If you can wait…

Thank you! We thought it was a natural fit for woot…

I’m glad the covnersation finally got to focusing on the flavors and drinkability of the wine. (really, does sweet Merlot belong here? Or, in context of a $7.91/bottle, references to Pride merlot?)

I’m in for one, in spite of it not being sweet and not being Pride or Shafer .