Timex Weekenders

Just as a heads-up, I bought the T2N856 last time, and the leather strap is amazingly thin, giving it a look that makes it seems a bit more like a woman’s watch (at least on my wrist). I just wanted to let you know as an FYI.

Does anyone know the band width on the T2N856?

I’ve actually got mine at the office.

At its thickest (nearest to the watch face) it’s a touch shy of 3/4 of an inch. At the end of the strap (the last hole punched) it’s 5/8 of an inch. For reference, the watch face is 1 and 5/8ths inches wide (not including the crown).

So it’s fairly thin for my personal tastes.

I bought the T2N632 about a year ago and occasionally use it. Its a nice light and thin watch for when I don’t feel like carrying something a lot bigger.

The only issue I have with it is noise. Its got a tick loud enough for me to have to bury in in the sock closest before bed.

I will second the noise issue. I have two Timex Weekenders, including the white face/braided leather combo offered here. As I am typing, that watch is clear across the room from me-- maybe 12’-- and I can hear it over my computer fan and two snoring dogs. I leave both watches in my bathroom with the door shut or else they keep me awake at night.

On another note, these watches are touted as being unisex. I have a smallish wrist for a woman (not tiny, but small)and I find the face to be on the large side but the bands are crazy long. On the smallest hole I can still slide two fingers between the band and my wrist. I tried to pawn the watch off onto my husband, but he prefers metal bands.

I have to say, even with the noise and the size, I kinda like the watch. It is lightweight and well-made and the Indiglo is a great feature.

I’ve said this before, about other watches, that 30m is junk. Not even safe for the shower. I posted links to manufacturers’ charts that said the same thing. People didn’t believe me or the manufacturers. Then they came back later complaining that their watches died in the shower. Don’t be that guy.

Um … are people really having trouble removing their watches pre-shower? If so, perhaps they’d be interested in a digital version.

That’s a ridiculous argument. Are you really saying it’s unreasonable for an analog watch to hold up to a shower, much less a swim? Maybe you should stop buying your watches at Wal Mart.

You don’t/shouldn’t ware a watch in a shower/hot tub or sauna.
it’s not the water that’s the
problem heat/steam drastic temp
swings. Educate yourself on watch
care. I own more than 50.

How big are the dials on these?

Another ridiculous claim. You can wear an even halfway decent watch wherever you want. I don’t own 50 - I own 3. Quality, not quantity.

The cases are 36-39mm, depending on the model.

You can, but shouldn’t, especially with a quality watch.

BTW I use my weekender as a beater watch. I’ve worn it swimming and in countless showers and it still manages to tick those insanely loud ticks.

I’ve been wearing watches swimming, diving, and yes, showering, for a long, long time and never had the slightest problem. Because I buy good watches. I don’t understand why you would cease to care what time it is just because you have hot water sprinkling on your head.

That being said, to each his own – if your weekends do not involve any of the above activities, or if you don’t care, then I guess the “Weekender” is the perfect watch for you. My point was about the people who insist 30m is fine, and then show up here to complain about it after it breaks.

Well, one could argue that 30m is fine in a quality watch. The idea that 30 m water resistance shouldn’t be good for ordinary swimming is an excuse for poor quality and quality control, and a cop-out for manufacturers.

Any sort of dynamic pressure increase from moving in water is actually quite minimal - derived from the concept of velocity head, which is in fact what people refer to as dynamic pressure. In water, with a specific gravity (density relative to water) of 1, velocity head is Hd = v^2/2g, where Hd is the velocity head, v is the velocity, and g is the acceleration of gravity.

The velocity head is the increase in apparent depth under water that your watch sees as dynamic pressure rather than static pressure. If, for example, you hit the water at an exceedingly brisk 10 m/s, with a gravitational constant of 9.81 m/s^2, you’d be imposing a “dynamic pressure” i.e. velocity head of just 5 m - yet you’d be at 0 m of static pressure when you hit the water.

Of course, the velocity head isn’t equal on all sides as you enter the water, but unless you’re relying on a face gasket whose sealing is pressure dependent, that should be a non-issue.

Anyway, my point is that a watch that is really water resistant to 30 m (with good condition seals) should have no problem in the pool, snorkeling, or even shallow diving. The crystal may not be designed for the rigors of diving (i.e. hitting things while underwater), however.

Anyway, a higher quality 30 m watch like a Seiko 5 typically will not have any problem underwater:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/how-water-resistant-seiko-5-snk809-840882.html

That’s one person’s experience. The next guy in that thread says his leaked while washing his hands. Seiko themselves say that 3 bars (30m) is not rated for swimming or showering. I tend to believe them, because if they could confidently state that it was good for those activities, they would gladly do so.

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/faq/water.html

I’ve had plenty of items outlive and outperform expectations, but that doesn’t make it universally true.

I just bought two of these watches and they’re both junk - I’m not even sure they’re real Timexes. The winding knob on the silver watch broke off right out of the box the first time I (gently) pulled it out to wind it, the printing on the back of the case is crooked, and it doesn’t even feel like it’s made of metal – feels like plastic. I also bought the one with the woven brown leather strap, and I agree with other posters that the strap is very thin and feels cheap. Major disappointment.