Tips for New Designers

Actually. that link sorta answered my questions I had earlier in the thread, thanks!

I tend to disagree. I didn’t worry about the print ready because I never thought I had a chance to print, but by the time I realized it was possible, I was rejected for something that wasn’t even there, but without a print ready, it could not be verified.

Edited to add: I should have read ahead to see that has already been pointed out lol.

I would add that my favorite designs–of T-shirts, watches, cars, pretty much anything–tend to be clean. The occasional cluttered shirt is okay–see Lost in Transition, one of my all-time favorites–but if you look through the gallery of winners, you will notice that the shirts that win tend to have a strong concept that the design delivers pretty much instantly.

I’ve been buying and voting on woot for like 6 months now and i was just curios what programs are used to make the shirts? I have photoshop, but what else do i need? and how do i put the design on a shirt for the site? Thanks :slight_smile:

All I use is Photoshop. I think the best designers use both Photoshop and Illustrator, though they would probably favour one over the other. And that isn’t to discount other similar programs like GIMP or Inkscape.

Thanks for some insight. I quoted this particular point because I’ve noticed that some of the pros on here at some point felt the same way and now they hit the top 10 with some regularity. I can only imagine what a good feeling it must be to hit a nice stride week after week.

I guess I’m also highlighting this point because I’m feeling a bit frustrated myself for a lot of the same reasons (and a few others) that you’ve pointed out. It’s tough to spend hours working on a shirt into the morning, pouring over it laboriously and with love only to get low recognition for it or worse get beat out by a shirt that looks like it took someone 10 minutes to make.

I could make up a ton of excuses, cry favoritism or accuse fellow wooters of dishonorable conduct but ultimately it is all about becoming a better designer and learning what works, as you suggested. Thanks for the encouraging words and sage advice. I feel renewed and I’ll continue with my efforts.

I just want to say this thread is very helpful. I’ve been working on my photoshop skills, its been 6 years since I’ve used it, and that can be very frustrating. Oh well, anyways, thanks for this post!

Can someone add instructions on how to actually load the files for the thumbnail and the comp? I see a lot of new people needing help with that, and I am unable to help them. I would sure like to be able to point to a thread and help them out. (I have seen advice on some of the derby threads, but those rarely get visited after that derby is over.)

Does this work?

If so, I’ll go over it and see if anything needs updating. I wrote it several months ago, and it flew right under the radar. :tongue:

Tips from a newbie:

You can find the Pantone Colors on-line by doing a google search on Pantone and then clicking the Images link. There are a TON of Pantone colors, so it really isn’t especially limiting. But the images can be huge, so you’ll probably want to find them broken up into a few color charts. Also, if you download a sample color chart, make sure it isn’t mottled, because that won’t do you any good.

I’m using The Gimp as my drawing tool, which … isn’t a drawing tool (it’s an image manipulation program) but I’m making it work. I find it’s easiest to start working in the print-ready file first. That way I can work on each color in a separate layer. It’s much easier to flatten the layers into an image (for the design detail and shirt comp) than it is to separate colors after the fact.
Different processes will probably work better for different people.

However, The Gimp has a default maximum image size of 128 Meg. Your print-ready file is probably going to take at least four times that to edit. Fortunately, the maximum image size was easy to change and my computer had plenty of memory for 750 Meg. Read your error messages early to prevent the heartbreak of your program stopping working later. Yes, I speak from experience.

My question isn’t so much about the derby as the posting. I have an image that I’m putting my T-shirt thumbnail designs into, but I can’t seem to get it into my posting signature. The image is

but I can’t seem to find the syntax to get it into the signature.

Pantone Colours - not sure about the GIMP, but Photoshop and Illustrator (and probably most other standard graphic editing programs) have libraries built right in.

Image size - 128 MB? That is WAY more than I’ve ever needed in Photoshop…

To put the image in your signature, you use the same code as you do for posts. You managed to post the image just fine - it’s the same for signatures. The reason why it isn’t working for your signature is that Woot does not allow users with zero purchases to put images in their signature. I think the reason might be to inhibit spam advertising and such.

What excellent advice! Thank you tgentry and Adder, much appreciated. I only wish I could’ve seen this when I started this past summer, but it’s never too late to get good advice. It takes me a while to maneuver around the site.

I wish I had seen this thread when I first started @_@.

Better late than never :). Very good stuff here, thank you for your advice everyone, and thanks to TGentry for lending his design prowess to us!

I’m wondering if anyone will even see this. but I have a question about halftones… I’m using Illustrator and i wanted to know how to get halftones and how to use them. most of the designs chosen have this fade with the halftones into the color of the shirt and i really like the effect that gives off more dimension to the art. please let me know how this is done as i would like to improve my designs. thank you!

Great tips! Thank you, will use them in the future.

As someone who is going to be leaping into submitting stuff pretty soon, thanks a bunch! Very helpful.

Thank you for these great suggestions and the print-ready criteria!

I only wish I’d had these before starting my current project. I’ve worked in one layer the whole time and now I have to ‘bleach out’ six different colors (counting the transparent/background color as one) for each different color present. :frowning: A LOT of work I could have avoided if I’d had these rules before.

But at least I won’t be making those mistakes again now, thanks to all of you contributing to this thread! :slight_smile: Thanks again.

Thanks that helps a lot!

Made my first design ever today. This thread helped alot!! Thank you :slight_smile:
I’m just having trouble submiting it, 'cause it gives me the same error:
"503 Service not available

aiCache"
Oh well, in search of an answer.
Keep on fighting :stuck_out_tongue:

couldn’t find the thumbs up button for this post. excellent p.o.v.