Titleist Pro V1 or V1x Golf Balls–12pk

Gotta disagree there. I’ve bought AAAA used balls before, these perform much better. Used ones are usually found under the water and water logged. They never have any distance on them and they are inconsistent. I’ll never buy used ones again.

There’s a big difference between “recycled and refurbished” golf balls. Recycling involves cleaning the ball and that’s it. Nothing is done to alter the ball in any way.

Refurbishing is done when a ball is in such bad shape it cant be recycled. The paint is stripped from the cover and then re-applied along with the logo. Scuffs are also buffed out. The problem is that the buffing can change the ridges and dimples thus changing ball flight. The re-painting can also fill in dimples which also changes the balls flight. The new paint scuffs very easily too.

If you aren’t a low handicapper, spend the same amount for a doz. Top-Flite Gamers (read reviews of it, you’ll be surprised how well it performs compared to expensive balls) or buy some recycled balls. Either way, I would avoid refurb balls like the plague.

Gamers 4.5 out of 5… 110 reviews.
http://reviews.tgw.com/9056/14540/top-flite-top-flite-gamer-v2-golf-balls-reviews/reviews.htm?page=2&sort=rating

i got 2 boxes of these last time they were on woot. for the same price. i am really happy with them, so i’m restocking with 2 more boxes.

they don’t look like brand new pro-v’s because the paint is too white and they say “refinished” on them, which could be embarrassing in certain situations depending on your playing partners.

the bottom line to me, though, is that they cost $1.25 a ball, and they fly and spin just as well as the pro-v’s that cost $4 a ball. so if you are concerned with how the ball performs (not how it looks), this would be a great purchase.

Guys,

I index around 8 and I can tell you that I never pay more than 2 bucks a ball. The gamer is a great ball, dt solo is a 20/ doz ball that I play all the time. Snake eyes (golf smith) has a great ball that is made by Wilson that you can get for 15/doz.

Callaway runs deals when their sponsored players win. When Ernie one a year ago they did a deal on the hex chrome ball at 24/doz. would not be surprised if they do something because of Phil winning.

Edwin watts has titleist xouts dt solos at 11/doz. bottom line- no need to spend big bucks on golf balls or buy water logged/reconditioned ones. The average hack (me included ) will lose it, drop it in the drink, smack it off a tree or cart path well before we use it up. We also don’t have the skill or command to shape a shot and really take advantage of the tour level balls on the market

There are review sites out there that have peeled off the outer layer of these “refinished” balls and found them to not even be Prov1’s or Prov1x so buyer beware. I’d go ahead and just buy the used ones that aren’t refinished and just washed and cleaned and graded from those other sites that find used balls and resell them.

Exactly! I played the Callaway “I” series and just switched to the Callaway Hex (mostly chrome). They just released the special for Phils win. Hex Black for $27 a doz at the Callaway site. Headed there now! :slight_smile:

I got a set of both in the July Woot Sale at the same price. I can concur with the other poster that these balls look repainted and are a bit too white when compared to the new ProV1 and X’s.

They do play very similarly though, with the average non-scratch golfer not likely to know the difference.

However, the paint that they use to refinish the balls does come off interestingly with wedge shots where you really go at it and want to impose some spin on the ball.

The imprint that my wedge gave to the ball actually stuck to my wedge revealing quite the yellow-ish color underneath. Not sure if that one ball was a water-logged ball with a new paint job or something else. I’ll lose all of these before I buy another set.