TiVo HD XL DVR

Verizon installed our cable card for free. The card itself costs $2.99 per month, which is cheaper than renting a FIOS box from them.

Can anyone answer definitively whether this can be used without paying the monthly fee? And what does the monthly fee get you, other than Tivo’s Season Pass functionality?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Tivo+Hd+Xl+Dvr&hl=en&cid=9163127223686152957&ei=CsUuTP7YBpiUwAXRzfn1Bw&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

google products

ouch no 1080p, up to 1080i only

Another razor and blades situation. They could give the box away and still make money by collecting the $13/month subscription fee. Luckily my 2001 and 2004 ReplayTV’s (with included lifetime subscriptions) are still going strong for standard TV, and my EyeTV takes care of the HD shows. Pass.

Looking at the TiVo site, it looks like it’s $12.95/month, $129/year, or $399 for a lifetime license. So if you plan on living more than 30 months…

Reading is fundamental–
“TiVo® service is required for the TiVo DVR to function and is sold separately. TiVo service and payment are subject to the terms and conditions available at www.tivo.com.”

It says “Does not support satellite service, AT&T U-verse, or cable Video On Demand”, so, no.

There has been talk that a new DirecTV TiVo will be launched this year, but it hasn’t appeared yet.

Aww, crap. I want 2 of these, but just can’t swing it right now, even at this ridiculously good price.

Yes, you can stream Netflix and Youtube.

I love the e-SATA port, all DVRs should have this feature.

Can I drop Pandora, or XM radio into this device? And maybe record it for posterity?

Are these as user-friendly and expandable as the first generation TiVo units? It was easy and cheap to install a 2nd hard drive, and get more than 500 hours of recording time. Plus you could play in the Unix shell :wink:

The Asus Eee Box 1501n is a better option.

Yes, it’s 2x the price.

But it includes 802.11n wireless, a slot-loading DVD player, full blown internet and there is no monthly service cost. Just add a network tuner from SiliconDust and you’re set.

The monthly service cost from TiVo averages about $15 per month. The savings on that solution vs. a TiVo pay for itself in just over a year.

Here’s an instructive write-up on using a regular HTPC with over-the-air HD.

Well, officially, it is far less.

Are you really able to tell the difference anyway?

I’m wondering if I can utilize some of those gigs for hard drive storage for .pdf files, photo files, and so on…

“Satellite is not supported.”

This phrase alone has cost TiVo about $2 billion in revenue over the past 3 years.

Until they come up with a DirecTV compatible unit, I’m not giving them a thing.

So what programming are you mysteriously getting in 1080p?

I’m sorry I’m off topic, but this is the funniest description line I’ve read in a long time (think spit-take!)

Props to Jason Toon & The Woot Writing Staff!!!

Quick answers:

what does the service cost per month?
If you don’t already have a tivo, it’s $12.95 per month, OR $129 per year OR $399 lifetime.

can you use it with out paying for service
NO!

Can this be used with Directv?
NO!

Is there a way I can remove the movies/shows
recorded here and into my computer?
MAYBE. if you have Tivo Desktop, you can transfer wirelessly BUT the program cannot have a broadcast flag. For example, anything on HBO is copy protected these days. Tivo Desktop is great, and with Desktop plus, it will auto convert for ipad/ipod.

1. Will this thing hook up to my computer (meaning I can watch video, edit video, get screen grabs, etc. on my computer), and

NO. You can use it with HDMI if your monitor supports it, but it’s only a monitor.

1. If I buy this, what do I need to ask the cable company for? Besides their blessing?

A Cable card.