TiVo Mini

The Mini boxes do NOT work with WiFi. You must use either Ethernet of Moca over coax cable.

A Wireless Bridge is cheating, while it may work for some if TiVo thought wireless was generally good enough they surely would have included it as an option. Obviously in their testing wifi couldn’t deliver a reliable enough experience to make it an option.

I have a TiVo HD with 4 tuners not a Roamio. Will I need to purchase subscription service for this mini unit?

Morning. We list warranties at the bottom of our features. This item as a 90-day TiVo warranty.

Questions:

1. How many of the host Tivo’s tuners are monopolized for the mini? I read two somewhere and that seems strange.

2. Re #1: are the tuner(s) used by the mini all the time or only when you are using it to stream a program from the parent tivo?

3. Is this the right adapter for MOCA and do I just need one connected to my router or will I need a second for the mini?

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

1. Can I run MOCA over the same cable that sends the OTA signal around my house?

2. Could I then connect one of those adapters to my computer and use it for an internet connection?

jeseberre - The TiVo Mini can use Ethernet or a technology called MoCa which uses the coax wiring already installed in your home to push IP signal.

To get MoCa to work, you’ll need a MoCa bridge near your router. The TiVo Mini has a MoCa built in so you’ll only need a single adapter.

In my home, I use powerline networking to connect a Mini to a Roamio which works fine - but I suspect Ethernet or MoCa is faster.

Birdoprey5 - Wizwor has it right. The difference is that the 930000 has an RF remote whereas the 92000 (the one for sale on woot) has an IR remote.

Wizwor - For the Mini to stream content from your Roamio it needs the bandwidth that ethernet, MoCa, or some powerline solutions can provide. In this case WiFi won’t get it done.

90 Days

Excellent answer - except I wouldn’t recommend a wireless N bridge. If you can’t or don’t want to put an ethernet drop in the room with the Mini, MoCa is the best alternative.

Barbprevo -

The Mini has lifetime subscription (for itself) included.

You’ll want to check on what model of TiVo HD recorder you have to be sure it is compatible with the Mini (all Roamios, TiVo Premier 4 and XL4/Elite). If you have 4 tuners, I think the Mini will work for you but please check first.

I just chatted with TiVO support and the Rep I spoke with stated that Lifetime Service is only included on the new model: TCDA93000. The model being sold here is not the latest. I don’t know if TivoTom is legit or not, but there is definitely a disconnect with the Rep I spoke to. TivoTom do you have any official statement from Tivo backing up the lifetime service?

Lots of questions:

1+2) Mini Tuner usage: The Mini will only use a single tuner when you start to stream from the other TiVo (or watch live TV). If the Mini doesn’t use the tuner in 90 minutes it will give it back to the TiVo. So no tuner is monopolized.

1. MoCa Adapters: If your TiVo DVR and router are near each other, you can get by with a single MoCa adapter. However, if your router is in a different place than the TiVo you’ll need 2 (one by the router, one by the TiVo). The TiVo Mini has a MoCa adapter built in so you won’t need one near it.

2. MoCa Coax: Yes, both the MoCa signal and the OTA signal can ride the same coax line simultaneously.

3. MoCa on your PC: Yes, you’d need another adapter but that should work (I’m a TiVo expert more than a networking expert, but I think that should work)

I am legit, no worries. The Mini itself does not require a subscription. However, you will still need a TiVo subscription (or lifetime service) on the TiVo that the Mini connects to.

I’ll connect with the call center to ensure they are providing correct information.

(edited to reword the call center portion for clarity)

Slightly conflicting information on the service charge for this on Amazon. There are comments on this specific model saying that there was a deal where there was no charge for service for a mini only up until May 5 I think it was. There were also people on there saying that you only get the lifetime if you but for full price from TiVo and if you bought from best buy or somewhere else you have to pay $5 a month. Granted, those are just people and not employees, but it makes you wonder.

Also, this will work with any roamio even if it is OTA? The Amazon listing days digital cable only. Pretty sure that is incorrect, just want to make sure.

I want to get this, but don’t want to feel rushed just to get the good price. I don’t want to pay full price for this, but want to make sure this fills our needs first.

So… does this unit include or NOT include lifetime service (provided you have service on your Roamio or other compatible Tivo box)? TivoTom said that he is checking with the call center, which tells me that he isn’t 100% sure, and makes me wonder if he is truly affiliated with Tivo. If it doesn’t include lifetime service, given that it is the IR unit, it’s not a great deal. I purchased, but will try to cancel if it doesn’t include service.

Steveken - There is no TiVo Mini subscription required. As long as you have a suitable TiVo DVR with a subscription or lifetime service they will work together. The DVRs that are compatible with the TiVO Mini are the Roamio series ( including the OTA) or Premiere 4 /XL4).

In the past (mid 2014) the TiVo Mini had a subscription and a lower everyday price. Since then, TiVo did away with the subscription in favor of a higher everyday price.

Since this is woot, we are offering an awesome price for a refurbished Mini with no Mini subscription.

nycomari - I can assure you I am a TiVo employee.

The TiVo Mini includes product lifetime service for the TiVo Mini.

Hi TivoTom,

I have contacted support again and have been unable to validate this information again. Is there a specific number that I should call to verify the lifetime service? I would love to take advantage of this deal, but since woot only accepts returns on defective/damaged items I would be stuck with this item if the deal is not honored by Tivo. No offense, but posting in a forum is not enough evidence to validate the lifetime service is included. Thanks.

Mike

@TivoTom: Does the Tivo Mini sold here require a monthly service plan? I think you guys went away from those on the Mini since the Roamio would have to have one, but I just wanted to make sure.

TiVo Tom- the people on TiVO chat do not know whether you are a Tivo employee or not. If Tivo is going to sell these through Woot, and even provide a TiVo employee to answer questions (which would be awesome, if, in fact, you are a Tivo employee), wouldn’t it make sense for the Woot posting to say something about lifetime service, avoiding this issue? I am trying to cancel, because I don’t have any data that tells me that you are truly a Tivo employee, other than your word, which, as you know, on the internet means virtually nothing. If the units don’t, in fact, come with lifetime service, it will cost $149 to add lifetime service to it. For $149, you can buy a new 93000 unit (better because of RF) WITH lifetime service. What can you tell us to ascertain that you are a Tivo employee, and that the units come with lifetime service?

[MOD: TiVoTom is a verified TiVo representative]