TiVo Mini2 (RF Version)

I understand that the Mini TiVo Mini 2 uses wireless technology to get programming from my TiVo Roamio to the Mini. Is it using my home Wi-Fi or some other protocol? Maybe “TiVo to Tivo?”

TiVo Doug, is the moca network better (faster, less delay) than connecting via Ethernet?

No matter if the Mini is connected via Ethernet or MoCA, the updates will still come through a wire, Abjonesma. And all the program information and shows will come from the host DVR. The only thing the Mini gets wirelessly is good karma. :slight_smile:

-TiVoDoug

Hi, Frittaja. Nope, Ethernet is still recommended for homes with more than 5 Minis, but the great thing about MoCA is that is does a fantastic job on most homes and doesn’t require you to run any new wires. Most home have that coax cable where their TVs are, so it just makes installations super-duper simple.

-TiVoDoug

I have a Tivo unit via Suddenlink with 6 tuners and 1 mini from them already attached, but would love to purchase this if it will work and I don’t have to pay rent to SL anymore.

Will this work with the model used by Suddenlink? Not sure how to tell which one they provided, except that it has 6 tuners.

Hi, Cutier. Yep, the TiVo Mini works with TiVo boxes with 4 tuners or more. So you’re good!

-TiVoDoug

Moca is actually as fast as fast ethernet, (100 Mbps) but if you’re wiring your house you can go up to gigabit speeds, but that depends on your other equipment and cables.

Turns out that after shipping and tax, I can get a new one for $20 more from best buy.

Tom, is this the V2 model? The photo are of the V1 model.

Hi, Hickory. TiVoTom had to get some work done today so he left me in charge of the candy store. Not smart on his part, if you ask me.

Yes, this is the V2, with the RF remote. It’s not easy to tell, but the RF remote is a little shorter and has a matte black finish instead of that glossy black. I have both and love the way this remote works and feels.

-TiVoDoug

I just bought one using a $10 coupon. I’m excited to hook this up with the Moca network and allow my mrs. to watch TV the way she wants to watch it.

We love Tivo and we are now on our third series box in 12 years.

I can’t think of any better way to begin a weekend than by reading this post. Happy customers make me want to do a dance of joy. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go get my dancing hat and elbow pads. I take this dance very, very seriously.

-TiVoDoug

My wife would disagree. There’s no place to loop handcuffs near the couch.

I should point out that the perforated grid top and keyhole slots on the bottom of the TiVo Mini will work with plastic zip ties. I can’t recommend the fur-lined zip ties, but only because they tickle.

-TiVoDoug

Hi Tivo Doug!

Now I’m confused. I just purchased 3 of the models last week to go with my new Roamio. Would you recommend purchasing these models instead?

Hi, RJ. Functionally, the Minis you bought last week and this one are identical. The only difference that matters is the way the remote works. This version has an RF-IR remote and yous is IR only. For some people that would matter, others not so much. What about you? Would spending an additional $60 on three of these be worth it?

-TiVoDoug

A reasonable idea…though that would require some investment in some other equipment…but a good thought, and one I hadn’t considered previously

Not so fast…We bought the Tivo mini offered on Jan 18th. It may not be compatible with your Suddenlink supplied Tivos & after going through all the ropes with Tivo support & Suddenlink support, we have a $70 brick. So, BUYER BEWARE…you, too, can own a $70 brick. Yes, don’t forget Woot’s return policy. If it’s not defective, it’s not returnable. So, don’t believe everything Tivo Tom & Tivo Doug say.

TiVoDoug, based on this response from you, I bought 2 of these to connect to the T6 that I have leased from our cable provider, EnTouch. However, even after adding them to my account and jumping through many different hoops, they are unable to communicate. All are hooked up via Gig Ethernet within our house. After doing some more research, I also found this little nugget buried in the Tivo support pages:

Source: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Installation_Setup_Configuration/TiVo-Mini-Setup

So, what gives? Is there a way around this restriction? Honestly, I feel deceived and am now stuck with two expensive bricks due to the woot! “No Returns” policy.

Yes, I too have found out that Tivo Doug misinformed me with the advice given. I now have 2 $90 bricks if Woot won’t allow me to return.
If Woot is going to allow “experts” to advise customers, then they need to back up the advice given and allow returns if that advice was incorrect. I will file a return request and see what happens as Suddenlink claims these units will never work with their system since they were purchased retail.