TiVo Premiere XL High Definition THX Certified DVR

Actually we had 3-6" of snow on top of the already 1-2" of ice. We haven’t gotten into the 30s since Monday. We’re slip sliding away.

Tiger Direct has more (labelled) photos, the sales video from YouTube, and the price is $297.99 new:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5993939&sku=TS10-1022

https://www3.tivo.com/store/clearance-renewed-premiere-xl.do
I think you’re misreading it. If you go to the buy page, you still pay $299.

Hello. My name’s Zap and I LOVE TIVO!.

I bought one for myself in 2003. I now have this model plus three series 2 tivos.

I put off offer after offer from Tivo on the upgrades and finally broke down. I don’t have HD so this box is impossible to fill. Right now I have about 1100 shows on the box. 917 are suggestions or deleted shows. The space on this Tivo is unreal.

The cable card makes channel changing perfect now as well, no more missed changes. Netflix, Amazon downloads, youtube, pandora, podcasts, rhapsody, networked Tivo boxes, almost too many features to use

I cancelled all cable expect basic, got a netflix 9 bucks a month account, Tivo (only 9 a month for me - multi Tivo user) and it’s cheaper than all channels from Comcast I was paying before with the old box.

I have not watched a commercial in almost 8 years. That is priceless. That and watching what I want when I want too or not and let it sit so I can go outside for a change.

Join our cult! Here’s some complimentary Flavor Aid.

I love my Tivo’s but their Netflix interface needs some major updating. I use my PS3 for it…

What sort of web access does the Premiere allow? I have a couple of streaming shows on a German website that I would love to see on the big screen. Is this possible - or does the website itself need a special application in order to be viewed on TiVo?

This question also applies to this woot model.

The TiVo web site states this model is not compatible with AT&T U-verse. And that is my experience. I have a TiVo from a Woot offering a year ago and its useless. One more reason not to subscribe to AT&T U-verse.

I see what you are saying, their wording says something else. “**Savings off of MSRP of
$499.99 for TiVo Premiere XL” That would make the regular premier $99 which would make more sense. I’ll just edit my post and let the buyer decide. Premier XL is a great buy at the Woot price since it has a 1 TB drive. I bought Woot’s Premier for $59 and upgraded the drive to 1Tb for another $79. Thanks for correcting me.
Tivo should word their page like “price after saving of $XXX” they are confusing the issue with the dreaded asterisks.

If you don’t have cable, a PS3, Boxee, Roku, or similar is a better investment. Or just a cheap PC connected to your TV via HDMI. Between the monthly fee and the cable bill, it would have been around $100 to do Tivo at our house with just the basic setup, and I like to keep my cash around to buy other shiny Woots.

I had Internet anyway, and now I just subscribe to Netflix, watch Hulu on the computer, or buy my favorite series from Amazon on Demand.

If, however, you actually get either cable or a decent HD signal, this is a good deal for what it is. I think I’d steer away from lifetime, just because I can’t say that either the lifetime of a refurb or the lifetime of cable as the primary TV content delivery system is going to last two and a half years.

I do have one question. Just to triple check, there’s no service commitment with this unit, right? So, one could buy it, sign up for a $12.95/mo service plan, cancel a couple months into it with no penalty and sell the TiVo if they wanted? If there were a 1-year or 2-year commitment required I’m sure it would be listed on the woot! product description in order to avoid a whole lot of ticked off buyers, correct?

Not true that the HTPC is worthless for digital cable users. Ceton recently released the Infinitv4 which is compatible with Fios, SDV, and pretty much any provider that uses cablecards to decrypt channels. Incidentally, if you have purchased premium channel subscription it will also decrypt those. The main caveat for the Ceton card is that it costs $400 and has massive order backlog. Otherwise,the HTPC for use as a DVR is alive and well. Oh, it also requires Win7.

After checking out the clearance corner, it will not let you lifetime any of their referbs.
As an upgrade (2 TivoHD’s) thru tivo, i can have a new XL sent to my door for $648.99.
$694.42 with tax.

My Premier is much faster than the series 3, I have hardwire network, wireless is too slow, You may want to call Tivo, because the Premiers were completely redisigned for increased speed. you may have hard drive problems, are you using external add-on drive?

My point exactly. TiVo+Cablecard for the win, HTPC only if you happen to want a PC for the livingroom.

Always a commitment! Something like a $155 cancellation fee! something like that.

Someone probably already posted this but it’s very important you guys read this. This Tivo is a series 4 Tivo with the flash based UI. It is horrendously slow. If you are interested in Tivo, find a series 3 box.

If/when that’s confirmed it requires immediate action by woot! to update the product description. Failure to disclose that sort of information at time of purchase is seriously uncool (and likely illegal to some degree).

I wouldn’t want to buy lifetime anyway, the speed at which Video on Demand (VOD) is changing, who can say where we will be in 3 years. a cheap Roku box can stream most of what is out there today, Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, TV.Com Hulu Plus and dozens more and more on the way. Just my opinion.

Hence the word (Plan)
Service Plan (Purchase Seperately)

Sold seperately implies you must check it out thru tivo, not woot.
Thats why i love these boards!!!

Hugehead83 and haslipe - I sent you private messages asking about your set ups. Just to give you a heads up.

As my id shows, I am a big Tivo fan. I’ve been using Tivo for ??? 8 years now. Even if I get the TVPC up and running, I don’t think I would give up my TiVo. There is an ease to it for all the other people in the house too. The menus are clear the options well stated. Yes you can get the PC to chase down your programs, only record the new shows no repeats, etc… but most people can figure out how to use my TV (babysitters eg) pretty quickly.

What is the $12.95 for? Well it searches for your shows, gives you an updated guide, and then records them even when the change the schedule around (as long as they are alerted, does no good for run over of football and 60 minutes) Now there is a bunch of net stuff and streaming, controlling away from home, etc… but mainly it is for season passing your favorite shows so you don’t miss an episode and then fast fowarding through the commercials. Programs take 45 minutes instead of an hour, or 20 minutes instead of 30. (Also you can 3x speed and read the close captions and go even faster)

If you have great over the air, I think this is better than cable. At least on a value for what you get. Cable give you hundreds of channels you don’t want and a few you do. Are they worth the $60 to $100 bucks I hear people are paying out? Well having quick control of recording the over the air OTA or even cable is worth $12.95. Do I say do it cheaper PCTV if you can, yes way, go for it. I will try again. :slight_smile: