TiVo Series 3 High Definition 250GB THX Certified DVR

http://static.wooters.us/images/wooters-logo-tiny.png Woot Info Post
fountains of wooters.us

TiVo Series 3 High Definition 250GB THX Certified DVR [Refurbished] - $169.99 + $5 shipping

1 * TiVo TCD648250 250GB Series 3 HD THX Certified DVR

This post is brought to you by Wooters.us, to help make sure pricing information on the product is available in the future. We are not run by nor affiliated with Woot.

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

TiVo Series 3 High Definition 250GB THX Certified DVR
$169.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

Product List:

• 1 TiVo TCD648250 250GB Series 3 HD THX Certified DVR

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

There is a ton of info on the Tivo Community boards:

4 Stars on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD648250B-Series3-Digital-Recorder/dp/B000I661J0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269666085&sr=8-1

There is no 1080p support for this DVR, it only goes up to 1080i.

There’s still life, but who uses TiVo anymore and not DVR from their cable/dish provider?

“Does not support satellite service”. TiVo got me into DVR use, and DirecTV got me into TiVo. Later, Media Center came along, as TiVo split from DirecTV, and it seemed like DirecTV was going to produce something nice for MC (the HPC-20). DirecTV canceled the HPC-20, and now Woot offers a non-satellite TiVo.
Can we see a little love for us satellite devotees?
Then, once you’ve accomplished that little miracle, how about offering something I can plug my Zune into, rather than everything with plugs for the 'iPed?

…TV doesn’t come in 1080p…so who cares? Are you planning to DVR your Blu-Ray discs?

CNET review gives it 3 1/2 stars

TiVo is the best!
I just recently, and with much sadness, retired my early adopted, life-time serviced, original series one TiVo.

I got HDTV and a DVR cable box that came with my FiOs service, so my old friend was obsolete.

I miss the little guy and his cute sound effects.

you have to pay a monthly bill to run this correct?

And the future of TiVo is in question w/ inability to make profits and steadily losing subscribers!

I just bought this from Woot about 2 weeks ago and its a great value. Worth noting…with some cable providers, (i.e. Time Warner in particular) you need to ask for 1 Dual channel cable card and 1 single channel cable card.

Yes, you do.

12.95 a month for service, I believe. 300 dollars for a (non-transferable) lifetime service.

This is a good deal for those doing OTA (Over the Air) HDTV only, as you can record TV shows in uncompressed HD-Glory without paying ridiculous cable/satellite bills.

It’ll need to be near your router or else you’ll need to plug it into a phone line, OR you can buy TiVo’s overpriced Wireless G adapter.

edit: Oops, 12.95 a month for service.

Previous Woot discussion

I love my TiVo and I would buy this if I could transfer my lifetime service over to it. But the lifetime service stays with the box so I’d have to pay for ANOTHER lifetime service for the new one even if my old one went into a box in the garage.

I love TiVo units but I hate TiVo policies.

I do! The Comcast DVR sucks, and you will have to pry my TiVo from my cold, dead hands.

We have one of these, which we swapped out for the DVR / cable box we had been renting from Verizon (for FIOS service). Overall, it’s solid. But three points:

(1) you still have to rent a cable card from your cable service provider (Verizon charges $2.99 per month), and have the cable service provider install it. (You can’t piggy back on a cable box, like the old Tivos did, or connect directly to the coax cable feed).

(2) You can’t get on-demand movies from your cable provider (at least not with Verizon). The Amazon offerings are comparable, but SLOOOOOW to download – the Amazon movies download in real time (i.e., a 2 hour movie takes 2 hours to download). You might be able to download a bit, and then start watching before it finishes, but I haven’t tried it to confirm.

Finally, there is a monthly service fee for Tivo (which is probably obvious). But if you buy the “lifetime” service package from Tivo, the service package terminates when your machine dies. So caveat emptor.