TomTom 4.3” Touchscreen Portable GPS w/ Text to Speech, IQ Routes & Lane Guidance

**Found it on Amazon for $149, 3.5 stars after 84 customer reviews!

Found it on Newegg for $179, 3 stars, 6 reviews.

Just a FYI, TomTom offers optional voice packs. The coolest one is Homer Simpson, but I believe there is also one from John Cleese:

Well I am in for one. I was going to spend $100 on a touchscreen kit for my EEE PC 900 , another $50 on a USB GPS adapter, plus another $50 on Gamrin Mobile PC. I think this is a more viable option.

TomTom’s Advanced lane guidance gives you extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions. So you won’t miss your turn or have to make sudden, dangerous lane crossings.

When you approach complex motorway intersections, you also get a still 3D image on your screen that clearly indicates the lane(s) you need to take. Advanced lane guidance keeps you relaxed and safe through even the most complex intersections and in even the heaviest traffic.

Let’s take an example:
You’re on the outskirts of Paris, driving on the ‘Autoroute du Soleil’ towards Lille, when a complex junction approaches (see diagram).

http://www.tomtom.com/page/lane-guidance

TomTom makes great navigators, own two, A high end GO 920 and an XL-S. Bought both around New Year’s time frame, some 10 months ago… I especially love how you can download hundreds of voices for it, or create your own!

Word of warning:
TomTom used to give new map guarantee to all units, so that if your shipped with old version of the map, you could get a free update.

As of sometime in January this year there is no longer new map guarantee for refurbished TomToms!

I bought my GO refurbished last December, and was able to take advantage of the new map free upgrade. Bought refurb XL-S a month with a change later and when tried the same trick, the CSR informed me that it’s no longer available for refurbs! So keep that in mind, the map it comes with is the map you’re going to get stuck with, or pay $100+ for an upgrade!

I wonder how it works in the wilds of Montana.

Now I wonder why Woot would advertise a map showing Cleveland, Ohio. Who paid them to help boost their tourism? :slight_smile:

How up to date are the maps? 08, 09, 10??

i’ve had lots of gps units over the years. the last 3 or 4 i’ve bought have been tom-toms. they’ve got the interface working well, and the performance is good.

like any other gps, you need to keep your eye on the road. i recall one older tom-tom one that tried to route us from a spot on the shore of vancouver island to downtown. it was a pretty direct route, however it was a ferry route.

I Am Not Making This Up (tm dave barry).

still, this is a good company and seems to be a very good deal. if i didn’t still have an extra sitting in my closet as a potential gift, i’d get it.

Hmm: You can get this new at Rakuten: Online & In-Store Cash Back | Shop 3,500 Stores!

For $134.99 with free shipping…

Love to shop woot when possible, but it seems like a better deal than buying a refurbished one… Sorry- going to pass on this one…

The refurbished ones are trouble. I’ve had two go bad on me and had to throw them out.

Can someone please advise what year/series the maps/POI (points of interest) are? If we’ll have to update soon after purchase that diminishes the price. The map and POI updates are usually $50++

It actually pulls up a picture of the lanes leading up to the exit and slaps a big bold arrow in the lane(s) that you should be driving in to most easily navigate the exit.

I do need a new GPS but I’d prefer to get one that is traffic-enabled.

Heh, a couple of us are originally from the Cleveland area. =) Some of us have more kidneys left than others though.

Okay, so apparently there are a LOT of voices you can download (so you don’t just have to listen to the annoying computer-woman-voice):
http://www.navtones.com/products/tomtom

MR. T is there, as is Gary Busey!

Also, a sample of the Homer/Simpsons voice!

http://www.tomtom.com/page/simpsons?Lid=4

Pass on this one…Horrible reviews and lack of update is a no-no in my book

Your answer awaits here.

How do Tom Tom models stack up against those from Garmin? I’ve been using Garmin for about 10 years now (I had a GPS 12 back in the day) but I’m curious if Tom Tom is as good…or better.

Not trying to start a flame war here, just asking for some thoughts from anyone who has used both brands.

Is there any way to try out the routing online (i.e. before I buy)?

Most online maps, such as Google’s, and at least some GPS systems send people on roads near my home which have been closed for decades. If TomTom gets this right, I’d buy one just because it might mean that they are better in other areas as well.