TomTom XXL 535T 5” Portable GPS with Text to Speech and Free Lifetime Traffic Updates

TomTom has user-submitted map corrections for free. I have had a TomTom One for 3 or four years and not yet bought an updated map, the corrections have been sufficient. Might be faster with a “clean” map, but you don’t need it.

I like TomTom better than any of the others I have tried.

Does anyone know if this is the old or new interface (does it let you see a list of directions like the 335T or just the map image like the 550T?)

If you have a smartphone, this is completely useless. If you don’t have a smartphone, use the $74.99 you’d spend on this thing to upgrade to a smartphone. GPS systems are obsolete!

“Lifetime traffic updates . . . You receive non-transferable traffic data until the product’s useful life expires or TomTom no longer receives traffic updates from its suppliers, whichever is shorter.”

Does this unit contain special (wink) :wink: program that more then happily sends all possible data to the local police that then, more then happily sends me tickets and or set up’s on roads to bust drivers for speeding?

Your phone does mapping when you don’t have a signal?

Wonder which GPS company to buy?
Garmin won all three trials in these tests, and by no small amount.
This article compares the ‘big three’ in general.

Personal experience:
Tom Tom predicts the time you will arrive exactly right even with stop lights, etc.
My Garmin used to work much better, but has deteriorated a bit (gets confused sometimes) and takes forever to find the satellites where I live.

Whoah… this does not sound good:

“You receive non-transferable traffic data until the product’s useful life expires or TomTom no longer receives traffic updates from its suppliers, whichever is shorter”

That’s a no go for me. Way too iffy.

I use the C3PO one myself and it was for free.

The phone must download all the map data, too, because it apparently works where there isn’t coverage, or when you are one the phone (and don’t have AT&T or aren’t in a 3G area).

That must be some magical phone and carrier to do all a stand-alone GPS does.

Most luxury vehicles have built-in GPS, and after 5 years or so, anything in luxury vehicles shows up in most vehicles. It’s just a matter of time.

Slight problem. Doesn’t getting the map updates on a smartphone require a data connection on the smart phone network? That would be great on the city or freeway, but once you get onto some of the less beaten paths in the remote areas, all you get is the phone service… no 3G or less.

This would be handy on trips up to Canada. Using a smart phone for navigation there would give you VERY high roaming charges.

If GLaDOS were a voice option, I’d be on this.

Seems like a good deal, but Amazon has a 5" Tom Tom with lifetime maps for $30 more and 1 map update is more than $30!

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003B3P2CY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310880435&sr=8-3

All the updates for applications on my smart phone (Nexus One), such as Google Maps & Google Navigation, can be updated over 3G or over WIFI.

Warning!
GPS’s make your car a huge target for theft. Even if you take the GPS down from its nice suction cup perch on your windshield and hide it, the suction will still leave a ring on the window. Even though you may take no notice of it, research show that thieves do.
You may not need to worry about it, but it does greatly increase your chances of something like that happening. The best thing to do in my opinion is get creative and find a better way to use it in the car.

http://cdn.hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/remove-GPS-suction-cup-marks-to-prevent-theft.jpg

I bought a nice GPS on Amazon, and I’ve had mixed results with it. Sometimes it’ll send me on a good, quick route, and other times, it’ll send me through town in stop and go traffic instead of telling me to get on the interstate. I guess the routing engine is at fault?

In for 2. I have the woot refurbed 4.3 from ages ago and it works great. Love it! I don’t have a smart phone or a luxury car and not soon to have either. One is for my parents and they are definitely not going to get either by choice. My dad has been eying my old tom tom for ages, might as well upgrade myself and get my dad one, too.

Beanbag mounts are a great easy, and usually cheap, solution to that suction-cup ring problem.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MKKA5C?linkCode=xm2&tag=invihand-20