Torii Mor 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir - 2 Pack

If Lucas has this strong of an endorsement I guess that means I have to order.

If only the Pinot Gris was being offered…

Everyone sounds excited for sure! Do you know if it has high tanins and how long it should age before optimally opening? Thank you!

Torii Mor is one of the old guard in Oregon, with vines first planted in 1972, and later using the winery to showcase the grapes at Olson in 1993. The winery is right on Dundee Hills, just up the road from Dundee on 99W. Once you get off Worden and on to gravel roads, its surprising to find them back there. Same thing about Lange, which isn’t far away. They’re up to 15,000 cases now, which is a lot of wine, but like all wineries in the area, the difference between their entry level and upper end stuff is profound.

I haven’t had these exact wines, but the others I’ve had usually taste a bit overextracted, gamey, or forest floor-like. But I’ve also had some older Torii Mor (mid-90s), and the wine stands the test of time, especially with the upper end offerings like these vineyard designates.

I’m frankly surprised they even make the Olalla. Surrounded by such amazing grapes in Dundee, they must be bringing these grapes all the way from the hills west of Winston in the Umpqua Valley for a reason. We’re talking 3-4 hours in the truck, one way. Umpqua wines usually have a more rich jammy fruit quality instead of mushroom earthy profile of Dundee, due to the hotter weather in the Roseburg area. But because of this warmer weather, they weren’t subject to the same late season moisture issues that rotted grapes left and right in the upper Willamette in 2007. Check out the vineyard right here.

Hawks View is north of Dundee, at the very north end of the Chehalem ridge. Grapes on this side grow in cooler, slightly more moist conditions. This vineyard is much larger (take a look). Siduri makes a designate from this vineyard, and I’d describe it as light, but focused earthy tones. But if you love rich, long, full fruit in your Pinot, this may fall just a touch short.

All in all, a good value. And like all 2007s, time is showing us that in the hands of a skilled winemaker, the 2007s are some of the best around. While the 2008s are very good, the skill required to make good Pinot was much lower due to quality fruit, so 2007 really shows us who’s got the chops. Tardy has a long reputation of delivering world-class Burgundian-style Pinot. Give it a shot.

yes 2007 was pretty wet during most of harvest, that bloaded the berries and we ended up with higher yield per acre than expected…
we did a lot of tank bleeding (saignee) to increase the ratio solid-liquid in the fermenting tanks. we ended up making average to better than average colored wines with enough tannins for the long run…
at release the 2007 were a little angular, the tannins needed time to get softer.
today thoses same wines are showing mature flavors with the roundness-softness you expect from PN. I did adjust my winemaking by doing short pre-fermentation cold soak, but I extended post maceration by a couple days to adjust to higher tannins.
2006 have sweeter tannins from the warm and ripe vintage, the 2008 are fruitier and also sweeter from the long (but cool) hang time on the vines.

the tannins have softened up, and these wine can be enjoyed today (I do) or aged a little more.
I think they have another 5-7 years…

the Olalla is actualy grown in a cool area of the Umpqua Valley, it was planted in 1975 to Pommard and Chardonnay, the Chard was then grafted to Dijon 115.
I make wine from Olalla because it is an older vineyard, and because it is different from what we get in the Willamette valley.
many vintages it is the last fruit I bring in… after the Willamette Valley fruit… and it is not over ripe, it needs long hang time to soften the tannins and reach flavor maturity, even though sometimes the sugars get ahead of the flavors.
the grower is a retired musician and he does all the work himself on the 4.5 acres. he is now 84 years old! he looks 20 years younger…I enjoy talking and working with him.

I found that I still have a bottle of the 2006 Deux Verres from a previous woot. Methinks we may open it tomorrow - the other bottles were wonderful, and I expect this one to be so as well.

I drank the Olalla back in October and thought it was one of the best bottles of PN I’ve had, it was that good. It was like a layered fruit grenade, but in an awesome way, it was just amazing, very complex, and continued to develop the longer it sat. I love these kind of wines, complex, changing as you drink, full of surprises, and the kind of wine that provokes thought. Definitely a new world style, but not over extracted, or for lack of a better description, fake tasting like some over extracted big reds can be.

Quality post if I’ve ever seen one.

Thanks.

Mmmmm, Olallaberries :sunglasses:

I liked the 07 Deux Verres (NB if any stocks left, sometimes in the BevMO 5c sale at $20), a more austere PN than most in the US, though I found it still very tight, so am keeping my remaining two bottles for a couple of years.

Dundee? Then I wonder if this’ll go nicely with Dundee cake… especially the whisky version.

Incredible about the Olalla vineyard owner, 4.5 acres all by yourself is very impressive. Thanks for sharing!