Toshiba 12.5" Core i5 Ultrabook Touch

**Item: **Toshiba 12.5" Core i5 Ultrabook Touch
Price: $599.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Toshiba 12.5" Core i5 Ultrabook Touch)

[Search Google](Google 12.5" Core i5 Ultrabook Touch)

Not sure which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

additional info and great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) can be found over at the product page

Anyone know if you can Hackintosh this? There is a posting I found with a quick Google, but I think his translator was broken (as it seems it’s possible):

I have a bit of time for once:
PCMag review

Notebookcheck.net collection
Toshiba Satellite U925T-S2120 - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

fair quality unboxing video
[youtube=rEWqe-XjNWk][/youtube]

[MOD: Bad video removed]

Sensors & Location: 3-Axis Gyroscope, 3-Axis magnetometer for Digital Compass, 3D Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor, GPS

Good for a car-puter?

This is better for $700. 2 displays each 1920x1080,128GB SSD,I5 the outside is touch to work as a tablet- the internal display is conventional when used as a notebook.

ASUS Taichi 21-UH51

Too bad about the 4GB Maximum RAM too. Just not enough, especially with an SSD, IMO.

Windows 8 users,

Can you create multiple users like windows 7?

Although I agree that it would be nice to have a little more RAM, the SSD would help- you don’t have to disable the page file, SSDs have better wear leveling than they did in the past and windows does a better job with page file use. If you keep the page file enabled, you should be OK performance wise.

Yes, of course. Really, if you only use desktop all day, it’s basically Windows 7 without a start button (which returns in 8.1)

If the max memory is 4GB then the processor is not 64bit- which means the parts are archaic … a 64 bit processor goes beyond the 4GB of memeory.
Also the SSD is too small most SSDs are now in the 256 GB

Toshiba is trying to assemble a machine with old inventory parts that are no longer marketable.
Disappointed…

Hey all, I think we’ve given Windows 8 enough beat downs in the previous couple hundred computer threads. Windows 8 isn’t going away so it’s time to accept that it’s here to stay. Of course, you can put whatever operating system you want on the computer once it’s yours!

So how about talking about the computer?

Actually, the 4GB limitation is a function of BIOS, not the CPU, which is indeed a 64bit CPU. You could install the 64bit version of Win8 on this with no problem.

This device obviously isn’t targeted toward power users, but for you students, housewives, exec types this would be a neat machine.

WHAT? All Core processors from Intel have been 64-bit since around 2008 or maybe earlier. Just because the system has a RAM limitation does not mean it’s based on the architecture of the CPU.

Please don’t spread misinformation just because you heard that there is a link between 4GB of memory and 64 bit processors.

ETA: The idea that “most SSDs are 256 GB” is an exaggeration at best. Plenty of laptops with SSDs are still being sold with 128 GBs or lower.

@gak0090, agreed, if you’re ready to spend $605 on this Woot for a refurb it seems like it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to go to $700 for a new unit.

While I normally prefer Toshiba (Woot) to ASUS, that double articulated (slide/tilt) Toshiba display makes me wonder how durable it would be.

The ASUS 2nd touch display, while a bit odd, has some interesting possibilities since it can be used independently or as a second mirrored display.

And while the 1080p vs 768x1366 display resolution issue gets overplayed in my opinion (I’ve used both), it gives the ASUS another advantage.

Fry’s Electronics offers the ASUS VivoBook S500 Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 1.7GHz 15.6" Touchscreen Ultrabook, model no. S500CA-S150305T, for an in-cart price of $598. Choose in-store pickup to dodge a shipping fee of around $11. That’s $32 under the lowest shipped price we could find for a ASUS VivoBook with a similar configuration, although we saw a VivoBook with a Core i7 processor and 8GB RAM for $48 less in August. It features an Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz Ivy Bridge dual-core processor, 15.6" 1366x768 LED-backlit multi-touch LCD, 6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 24GB SSD, 802.11n wireless, webcam, USB 3.0, HDMI, 3-cell battery, and Windows 8 64-bit. (It doesn’t have an optical drive.)

Thin laptops:

Do yourself a favor by knowing whether you like the particular thin keyboard.

While most folks can adjust to different keyboards, some of these have very little key travel or odd key spacing.

Some thin keyboards work very well but others… (my experience with Toshiba thin keyboards has been positive.)

128GB seems a bit limited for an ultrabook. My wife and I bought the last Toshiba touch-top offering for $285, and it has a 500GB hard drive. I know the processor and display here trump it, but that seems like an odd capacity limitation. Most non-power users will not have a hard time filling that up pretty quick.