Toshiba 15.6" Core i7 Laptop w/ Blu-ray

**Item: **Toshiba 15.6" Core i7 Laptop w/ Blu-ray
Price: $529.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Toshiba 15.6" Core i7 Laptop w/ Blu-ray)

[Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en+%26tbm=shop+%26q=Toshiba 15.6" Core i7 Laptop w/ Blu-ray)

Info, reviews, and more on the Product Page

[youtube=Um5pa7qIyU0][/youtube]

Awful resolution for a nice computer. 1366x768

Not sure which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

Yup. If I never see a 1366x768 screen on any full sized laptop again, it will be too soon. For sub-notebooks (say in the 10 to 11 inch class), “HD” resolution might be OK. At 12 inches and up, it’s a non-starter and automatically strikes the product from consideration, at least for me.

Wait, can this resolution even display the Blu-Ray video in full resolution? BR is 1080 horizontal lines, right?

I got one of these at retail price for my 11 year old grandson for school. Works well for homework, League of Legends, and youtube. Needed to add the Classic Shell start button as everyone I know hates the Metro interface including me.

It does support 802.11n but only at 2.4 GHz. You can buy a network board for about $25 on Amazon and upgrade to 5GHz. This is stupid Toshiba.

The integrated graphics chip set that shares memory with the cpu can really slow down processing speed. A separate graphics board would be nice with higher resolution but the problem here is the cost of the laptop starts going up real fast, I know I checked.

Price/performance wise it’s actually a pretty good deal even if it’s not exactly what you want.

I meant vertical lines of course. The lines run horizontally, and I had a drink, so that’s my excuse.

In the wide screen format, “full HD” is usually considered 1920 vertical lines and 1080 horizontal lines.

Although many resolutions exist, “HD” has a minimum of 720 horizontal lines minimum.

This monitor has 768 horizontal lines and is considered HD, although not the best.

Almost all low cost laptops have this same resolution.

It won’t display it as 1080P, it will scale it down to 1366X768.

This is a respectable laptop from a respectable brand. And it is Factory Recertified with a factory warranty rather than unknown third party “refurbed”.

A mainstream 15 inch, Intel i7 CPU, with Bluray player for $529 is a decent if not mind-blowing deal.

Respectfully, I’m a geek as well, I get the spec chasing. But the 1366 x 768 screen resolution complaining (and Windows 8 complaining) on woot is not going to change the industry standard for mainstream not-new $500 laptops.

Whether Woot replaces $300-500 mainstream laptops with $700-1,000 laptops as its core laptop offering remains to be seem. But since they are in the business of volume, that prospect seems unlikely. Perhaps that 1080p laptop deal that quickly sold out the other day is a hint of the future.

BTW, shouldn’t be a deal-killer but while this laptop doesn’t have a backlit keyboard or Bluetooth it does have gigabit (1,000 Mbit) LAN/Ethernet.

+1

Gotta love the 100% Toshiba laptops in the classroom indoctrination in the photos! :slight_smile:

You’d think they’re trying to imitate Apple on the university campus. We have kids in school and it seems at least half the students have Apple laptops.

I know this may seem silly, but is it too much to ask for a picture of the BOTTOM of the laptop? I want to know how much work is involved to upgrade ram or replace hard drives.

Guys I need a quick advice, I will need a new laptop by the end of October cuz I will give mine to my brother. I just need a good machine for entertainment i.e. store & play my music, watch movies, internet browsing & gaming. Is this a good deal or should I wait till the end of October so that laptops usually get cheaper with time?

@elaswany, there will always be another great deal “next week”. And prices for the same performance always fall over time.

While this laptop is a bit odd in having a high end CPU mixed with middle of the road other specs (other than the Bluray player), it is priced well.

Note this model appears to be Costco spec. That often means they pump up some of the specs to make it stand out vs SAMs, etc… Due to Costco’s very friendly return policy it could also indicate a perfectly good laptop was returned.

Buying a higher end CPU will make you happier using this laptop a year or two longer than with a lower end CPU. If you’re hard on laptops or could care less about the Bluray player, it would be a waste. In that case get a $400 laptop.

I need a quick advice, I will need a new laptop by the end of October cuz I will give mine to my brother. I just need a good machine for entertainment i.e. store & play my music, watch movies, internet browsing & gaming. Is this a good deal or should I wait till the end of October so that laptops usually get cheaper with time?

Thanks a lot. I think I will wait for next month better, Cheers :smiley:

Well, aren’t you two special. I think you’re looking for expensivelaptops.com if you want those kinda specs.