Toshiba 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop

Product Page with more info, pics, and reviews

Walmart Users like it
Amazonians are in the middle

I have an Acer laptop with almost identical specs (6 GB RAM instead of 8, and it has a Radeon HD 7670M in conjunction with the 7660G for AMD’s dual graphics). My dual graphics handle a lot of modern games surprisingly well. I’m not sure how the 7660g performs solo.

The way I see it, if you compare to an Intel i3/i5 laptop with Intel HD 3000/4000 graphics, this one is basically a slightly lesser CPU with a better GPU. Great deal overall!

Very good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at amd.com

support page:

More detailed spec sheet

manual

Walmart Users like it

I’m sorry but isn’t that a reason NOT to buy???

Sorry Woot!

Whoa! I retract my previous statement… I had no idea that this would have a VGA connection!!!
THAT’S AWESOMESAUCE!
Boy HOWDY… I hope it’s a Super VGA?!? I cannot wait to watch Andy Griffith at 800 x 600!!!

I’m a complete novice when it comes to comparing CPUs so I’d appreciate some input. I miss the days when all you need to do is compare a few model numbers, i.e. 80386 vs 80486 and cycle frequency!

I do a lot of video editing and data analysis involving complex modeling. How does this laptop compare to the $499 Asus Q400A¿ The Asus has a 2.2 ghz i7, 14" screen and backlit keyboard. Everything else seems similar. How does the i7-3632QM 2.2ghz compare to this AMD CPU?

Thanks.

Don’t be a 'tard. VGA can handle 2048x1536 and above.

I’ll take a crack at it:
the i7-3632QM score is 7141, ranked 94
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3632QM+%40+2.20GHz&id=1480

the AMD is ranked 407, with a 3180 score
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-4600M+APU

Tom’s Hardware compares it to a weaker i5-2450 (the article is a bit deep for me tonight)

I have the Lenovo Z585 with VERY SIMILAR specs… A10 processor w/6gigs of ram(I plan on upgrading to dual-channel 2x4gb), 1tb hard drive, 7660g graphics card, bluetooth, etc. I’ve been playing Far Cry 3 and the game runs very well on it. I got it brand new for $499 here at MicroCenter.com and I have 0 complaints about it. The sound is better than the HP Envy w/Beats too (I know this as I purchased it first and later returned for multiple issues).

As mine is very similar, I would definitely recommend this laptop for the price. I know everyone is all about having Intel due to better CPU’s, but AMD levels the playing field by having EXCELLENT GPU’s. A laptop with an A10 processor and most any AMD GPU will cost hundreds less than an I7 with their typical HD4000 and will play games and movies much much better.

You can’t always go by benchmark scores as they can often be misleading. You really have to ask yourself what you’re going to be doing with your computer before you decide which direction you’d like to go with in terms of hardware.

Its processor is on CPUBenchmark.net’s “High End CPUs” list, and while it isn’t at the top, a score of 3,180 is nothing to scoff at.

The graphics card barely makes the “High End Video Card” list on their sister site, but considering that it’s better than what I have in my laptop, it should be able to handle Skyrim on high graphics (maybe medium, because I have a much more powerful CPU than this laptop).

Edit: Beat’d by whatsamattaU above

You still provided extra insight I couldn’t.

Thinking of getting this. How do you think it would be as a replacement for cable TV?
Will it be good enough for streaming video to watch shows over the Internet. And to record shows.

I just bought my wife a very similar Toshiba (with an i7 instead) and like it overall. However it has a very crappy wifi card in it which drops the signal all the time, even when the laptop is 5 feet away from the router.

The rest of our wifi devices never drop a signal at all. Some googling showed that I’m not the only one to experience this issue with the realtek card (or driver). Other than that, I’d recommend in a second.

Agreed. Got my wife one from Costco and we are going to return it for the same reason. For us it was particularly bad when we closed the screen on it. (which kind of defeated half of the purpose since she also has a 24" monitor she likes to use)

This actually looks like a great laptop. The A10 is AMD’s top-of-the-line CPU and is placed well in the Core i5 position. The graphics card is the best on-chip card on the planet. It’s about as good as a mid-ranged dedicated.

Overall, you are getting a big bang for your buck with this laptop.

Practice that post for a while, did ya? VGA is useful for connecting second monitors and projectors.

Did ya notice that it also had HDMI?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Especially for putting it on such simple terms. I know that there are actually many numbers to consider, i.e. floating point calculations, graphics, etc, but I just needed something simple so your reply was perfect. But also disappointing because I’m loyal to Woot and was hoping to buy this. Unfortunately, the speed difference is too great so it looks like the Asus is a better value for my purposes.

Thanks again … and I look forward to your 1000th Quality Post!

Hey all, feel free to comment on Woot over in World of Woot. Plenty of threads there or you can create a new one.

Let’s focus on the product here.

Thanks and good morning.