Toshiba 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop

I’m glad I waited for gaming on steam for this laptop 50 bucks more you getting a better cpu

Some additional info and solid reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at toshiba.com

Pretty good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at shop.amd.com

very interested in this one for a kid in the family. does anyone know how these will look as a refurbished unit? will they look new out of the box or have marks and scratches, worn keyboards etc?? many companies fully replace all hat and make them look brand new but i have never bought a toshiba refurb… anyone know? or bought a toshiba refurb before?

This isn’t a “factory refurbish” so that means a “3rd party” did the repairs. Hard to tell their quality of work without knowing who is doing the repair.

It has a 90 Woot return policy. I would look up their policy on returns for “superficial” things like scratches and go from there.

Not sure if any of that helped…

I got this a few weeks ago when they offered it for $20 more, and I love it. I’ve used it to run the following games without any problems: Just Cause 2; Orcs Must Die 2; Torchlight II; Defense Grid; Magic the Gathering 2013; and Unstoppable Gorg. Not a huge sample, but should give an idea of the performance level. It’s not a high-end gaming machine, but at this price, it’s VERY respectable.

It may not be a direct comparison, but I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z585 with the A10-4600M, and I’ve been able to run all of the following with little to no problem:
-Diablo III
-Borderlands 2
-Minecraft
-Torchlight 2
-Fallout 3
-Skyrim

Obviously the newer games had to be run at medium-to-low settings, but for a portable gaming rig it packs a decent punch–and the Z585 has 2GB less RAM than this machine.

I have two questions. Is this a 64 bit processor? Can I use it to compile Chrome OS? Can I dual boot Linux? Was that three questions? Four? Can someone stop me? Please?

does Woot customer service process the refund or do you have to request it?

Might be worth buying, just for the write-up.

Would like to hear more from people that bought at the previous offering - did this look like a refurb or was the appearance, quality of packaging good (I’d be giving as a gift, so things like that matter).

I’ll try:

1. Yes
  2. Why would you want to?
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5. No (7)
  6. No comment

Regarding #2. If you were looking to run Chrome OS, which is a “minimalist” OS from my understanding, why would you want this machine?

This laptop is way more power than you would need to run Chrome OS fluidly.

Just my opinion of course.

This is a 64-bit processor. I have had success dual-booting Win7/64 and Ubuntu on a different laptop with a similar AMD processor (the A8-4500m), though I have been told that this could be easy or hard depending on the style of BIOS on any particular model of computer. And I’m really not sure what you’re asking w/ regard to compiling Chrome OS…sorry.

I bought this back in May when it was a bit more. It’s a nice laptop, but the keyboard is crap. You really have to smash the keys to make sure they are all accepted when you type.

In the previous sale of this laptop, which is when I purchased mine, there was a comment that Toshiba disables the hardware virtualization feature in the BIOS of their laptops. While that may be true for some models, this model does not have that limitation. I am able to install and run Hyper-V and the Windows Phone 8 emulator.

So far, mine has been a fine purchase for software development. Runs Visual Studio 2012 and SQL Server with no problems.

How easy would it be to upgrade to Windows 7?

Go purchase a copy and install it, I am sure It would handle win7 fine. but I have seen that win 8 seems to handle the processors much better.

Toshiba has the WORST customer service I have ever seen. I had a Toshiba laptop and never had it work right, after 3 trips to the shop. They did nothing to try to fix the problem. Buy any other brand if you can!!!

to the people who said they bought this can you tell me how the condition was when you got it out of the box?

thanks